Author's Chapter Notes:
Marie works out the truth about the ring....
Marie put the small fork down and rested her back against the stump she'd been working at, the place was looking good after two weeks of work. Mind you it had been difficult at first, digging in the soil planting the bulbs, scattering the wild flower seed in drifts, making a place to bloom and blossom. The real shape of it was in her head, what it would look like and what it smell like, the idea was one of Katherines better ones. To make a bower in the woodland, she'd come with Logan here to get married but that was another problem, the preacher. She'd asked several and gotten the same answer, she needed to come with Logan to the registrar and fill in forms, names, dates of birth, health status etc. She couldn't ask him to do that and not have him work out what she was doing, so here she was trying to find a way out of the situation. Thinking that action may jar loose a way forward that she hadn't seen yet.
“Marie honey, you up here?” Katherine's voice carried through the trees to her ears.
“Yeah, I'm planting the last of the bulbs,” looking over her shoulder she watched Katherine weave her way toward her, her hands carrying a flask and a blanket. Smiling Marie wiped her hands and stood up.

They were settled down on the blanket drinking hot soup when Marie aired her worries, “I can't get a preacher. Not without jumping through all the hoops and that means filling in the forms. Half of the stuff I don't know and as for his birth date....” Marie sighed and thumped her mug to the warming earth beneath her body. Katherine was quiet and looked at the trees who were now beginning to show a little green life in their branches.
“Well you could always do the old fashioned wedding....” Marie looked at Katherine who finally met her gaze with a warm smile. “There weren't many preachers on the road, not many who allowed what the families got upto anyway. What's marriage anyway? A promise, a ring and love shared between two folk in front of witnesses who'll remind them of the promises they've made. It's not about the God you stand in front of, or the church your in, it's about the souls of the folk standing together, making their two as 'one'. You've already got that promise on you, he'll know when he sees it on your ring finger, to him you're already married. The other stuff is just the icing on the cake.”

Marie let the words enter her mind, let them filter through to the piece of Logan she still held in her mind and she could feel the truth of it ringing through her blood. The moment she'd put that ring on she'd been at the altar with him, when he saw it on her hand it'd just cement what he already knew in his heart. But the risk he'd taken, leaving it behind him, hoping that when he came back she'd be wearing it in the right way, understanding what it meant to him for her to wear it. That he'd proposed and was undergoing the marriage even as she was stood there with him, all he was waiting for was her words to seal the deal. She looked at Katherines smile and her soft eyes, seeing the wisdom that was shining out at her through common sense.
“You know the horses are going to need shoeing soon, we could always ask the man who made the ring to be the preacher. Blacksmiths were the original priests you know, before the White Christ came to earth, you can ask him what Logan did for him to make the ring for you.” With that Katherine shook her mug free of the remains of the soup and held her hand out for Marie's empty mug. Screwing the lid back on the flask and shaking out the blanket when Marie had gotten up. “Come on we've got dinner to make and faces to placate, can't let people wonder what you're upto before the day can we?” Smiling Marie followed her friend back to the warmth of the house, spring was coming and soon all their hard work would bloom, just as her love had in her chest.
Chapter End Notes:
I know it seems like Marie is left behind a little but things will change soon...promise.