Author's Chapter Notes:
It did/didn't need it, I did this for myself so if you're happy with the last chapter as it stands you don't have to read this one. But it kind of settles the situation with the rest of the household.
EPILOGUE

The news had broken early, teachers weren't the best at keeping secrets, but Ororo had kept her council, as has the rest of the people there, but the party had been noticed and the eyes of someone had seen the whole thing. Powers and secrets don't mix, so soon everyone knew, the news even reached the Professor who sent a huge bouquet to Rogue and a box of Cuban's to Logan. Scott waited for nearly a day to speak to either of them but they never appeared outside their room, people did see them but they avoided the iron stare of the so called 'leader'. It had been Katherine who'd delivered his dinner to him waiting outside the door that had made him look an idiot. She'd just handed the plate over whilst saying, “They do have a balcony on this side you know.” She'd left him with the sandwich half at his mouth and her laughter ringing in his ears, sense sometimes doesn't get very far when you allow your emotions to get the better of you.

When they did appear to everyone, it was something of a kodak moment, Rogue was dressed in a thin top, her arms covered but she wore no gloves to speak of. Logan was stood there like the bedrock of the world, just waiting for the shouting to start, when it didn't he seemed to deflate a little. The fight he'd been waiting for hadn't happened and the people who were congratulating them were truly happy for the pair, Rogue looked happier than she'd ever been and she dragged him around the various groups congratulating them. But soon it was over, the realisation that there was someone Rogue could touch was enough for them all, even Bobby had something nice to say and tried to mend bridges. It didn't get very far but in time the thaw would come from both sides.

They ended up in the small kitchen again, Jean and Marie sat across from each other on the small table in the heart of the kitchen. Katherine doing something around them both, leaving them enough air to speak in and as yet they'd not even started talking. Marie had tried several times but she'd felt the weight of their relationship drag her words down, she was still a student compared to Jean and she found it hard to speak the words that were clustering in her heart. Again it was Katherine who broke the ice between them by placing warm brandy laced tea between them both and seating herself between the two.
“Come on ladies, if you don't start talking soon I'll have to charge you rent.” Katherine took a huge swig of her tea and looked at the pair, she kicked them both under the table. “Well?” Jean looked daggers at Katherine who just grinned back at her.
“Ah....” Marie tried but Jean butted in,as she usually did.
“You can't seriously think that what you did constitutes a legal marriage do you? An anvil? A Farrier! You need licenses, medical checks, you can't just 'get married' Rogue.” Katherine watched the assault on Marie and willed her to speak back, but the way she'd done it had left her speechless. She'd devalued her commitment and love to Logan in one snidy comment, Katherine wouldn't allow this one in her kitchen.
“Jean, hows the rash?” The words just knocked 'Mrs Perfect' for a loop and she had to redress her balance as she faced Katherine's smile. “Just that I'm making some more creams later and I need to know if you need any more.” A slight blush started at the edges of Jeans complexion and began to spread over her face.
“Yes, I do thank you the steroid creams don't seem to be helping, your flower one seems to calm it down; if not get rid of it.” Her medical power undermined by a kitchen herbalist who understood her body better than the doctor did.
Katherine smiled and rested her hand on Jeans, “I keep telling you both you need to take some time off, you're getting infections because your bodies can't keep up repairing the damage you put them through. You need a break honey, you both do.”

The serious tone of Katherine's voice had Marie looking at Jean differently, seeing not a teacher but a woman in pain, suddenly seeing the lines at the corners of her eyes. The first few whisps of lighter colour in her hair, the line of grey that was beginning to march through her red mane. Seeing the hands that had been gloved up treating her covering themselves with darker spots of colour, faint for now but they would darken in a few years. Jean was getting old and as she turned to look at her a short but fragile smile on her lips Marie had the courage to speak to her as she should do. Clearing her throat Marie began.
“I know you don't approve Jean, for whatever reasons you have I'm sorry, but we're married as far as we're concerned. We're committed to the other person as long as we live and that's all marriage is really. A commitment to someone you love, someone who understands you inside and out, and won't let you sell yourself short.” Jean shifted forward about to speak when a well timed kick kept her silent and rubbing her shin, Katherine for her part was silent apart from a tight smile aimed at Jean.
“Logan needs me as much as I need him Jean, if not more so.” She looked to Katherine and saw the support she needed in her smiling face, “Logan's been waiting just as long as I have. He knew that one day I'd be ready for him, for him to ask me if I wanted this life with him and it isn't some childish hero worship either.” Jean sat back and picked up her mug sipping it's contents slowly as she listened to the woman in front of her. “Logan left me with a choice, one I could have said no to at any point, since Christmas, he gave me time to think. So if you think this is rushed and stupid you don't know us Jean, when has Logan ever rushed anything? Anything as important as this? Sure he'll risk it all for someone out in a mission, but something like this? Come on I've heard you call him about his regular habits, you can set your clock by him sometimes he's that predictable when he's home. He 'needs' that routine Jean, it kept him whole, gave him purpose. What we have is something else he needs, someone who loves him for all he is, not just what he can do.” Jean seemed to take it all in, pushing herself back against the kitchen chair, finally moving forward when she had the idea properly formed in her mind.
“What about your skin? How have you managed it Rogue, can you touch others or is it just Logan? I mean everyone was so pleased for you both we didn't question the how or why, just that you could. Will it wear off, is it a suppressor your wearing or has it been Logan that's changed toward you? I mean if I touched you now would you hurt me or not?”

The question was a fair one and to be honest it was one that she'd expected someone to ask at some point but Jean had beat them to it and she looked to Katherine for an answer to give. Katherine just smiled and reached out to Marie's arm and touched her, squeezing her arm as she answered for her. “However it's happening, however it's being done it isn't by technology Jean,” Katherine faced the doctor who was now watching where Katherine put her hand, Marie for her part was looking directly at Jean. “They've been made as one, that's what marriage is isn't it? When two souls become one perfect whole? They've taken the long route I'll grant you that but they're together and they can touch and that's enough for anyone just now don't you think?”
What Marie didn't notice but Jean and Katherine did was that Katherine's hand was resting on Marie's bare one. Katherine patted Marie's hand and winked at Jean as she stood back up with her now empty mug. “Lets not ask where the miracles come from eh? Let's just hope another'll be close on it's heels soon enough.”

Jean watched as Katherine walked to her sink and began to wash the mug up, she'd been touching Rogue's hand for at least a minute without ill effect. Thing was Rogue hadn't been aware of the touch, she'd seen Katherine touch her sleeve and so she thought she was still touching her sleeve. Draining her mug Jean smiled as she pushed the chair backward, her answer had been given to her without stress or strain. Getting up she opened her arms to the once untouchable girl, Marie for her part walked into the embrace willingly, Jean held her tightly and whispered in her ear, something just between the two of them. “I didn't touch him Rogue, wanted to, but he was always the honourable one.” Marie pulled back to see the truth shining in Jeans face along with a blush that filled her face with colour. “You might need to get some soundproofing done though, those growls can be a little loud.” This time it was Marie's turn to blush and for Katherine to fill the kitchen with laughter, rich, happy and filled with life. Outside the bees hummed at the flowers, quietly collecting pollen and news, flying away with the blessings of summer, their song understood by those who had the ears to understand their language. Of small moments, opportunities and blessings that others pass by, the scent of fire on the breeze, the clang of iron being hammered into shape and the forging of a future that had steel at it's heart.
Chapter End Notes:
That's it! Finished, so if you liked it, please let me know. As always I appreciate the comments you leave me and thanks for joining me on this ride.