Author's Chapter Notes:
A few thoughts as Logan flies to Japan to meet his history.
The journey hadn't been good, the plane had been delayed by his documentation, even though Xavier had told him that he'd be okay with the things he'd nearly walked away when the search had begun. Finally after several phone calls the truth about his 'implants' had been announced to the security guards and they'd let him through. Although the cover story of a ranch hand who'd been crushed by a bull when he'd been putting the thing back in it's crate had been enough of a half truth to be believable. Especially what he was dressed in, along with his hat which was now pushed over his eyes as he settled into the seat that was on the aisle side. He hated the window seat, always had, not many people liked the aisle seat but to him it was a haven of sorts. And as he slept the journey away his mind took him back to the promise he'd made all those years ago, before Marie had even been born and he'd been grabbed by the military.

'The breezes always played with the blossom on the trees,making them wave and shudder in their fragile abodes, the war was over for him. Well for his part of it anyway, he wanted to go home, to get back to the cool north where he could just sit in a stream for a while and get himself 'clean'. He was on base in Sagami, a bit of enforced 'r and r' after the mess he'd left behind him in Haiphong, he was never there, and the three months it took him to get to Japan hadn't happened either.

But here he was, sitting in a garden made of stone that had been old when the human population was still wondering what to do with the sparking rocks and all that snow. He almost smiled as he heard the footsteps approaching, she tried to be quiet but her breathing always let her down. As calm as her outside might have been, her scent and breath always betrayed her and as a gaijin he wasn't expected to have noticed her discomfort. Yet several times now he'd moved calmly and gently out of her way so she could settle herself near to him without revealing herself. He knew he took up her space, but he'd needed it more than she had and Yuriko had been his companion now for over three months. Soon her breathing settled out and he let his mind wander again, hoping that whatever she was seeing wasn't as bad as the nightmare he was trying to relieve himself of. At least he didn't fire his claws anymore in here, the last person who'd seen them was still in the stockade.'

“Sir, sir we're about to land, you need to put your seat back up and buckle your seatbelt.” The thin beauty wafted away, smiling and giving comfort where she could. Logan watched her small form weaving through the throng of humanity, he could see her strained smile and tight eyes. It had been a bad flight for her, well his own life was about to get a little bit harder from now on. He'd avoided coming to Japan for this reason, for the debt he owed and the consequences it would mean to those around him. But if he wanted to have a future, he had to deal with the past. The people he'd been sat next to were trying to leave, begrudgingly Logan moved out of the way for them, one headed straight for the toilet. Logan snorted to himself, all the man had to do was ask him to move and he'd have shifted for him. His mind reminded him of what he'd said to the attendant as he'd boarded, “No interruptions, no food, no earphones. I just want to sleep, anyone who disturbs that better have good insurance.” Then he remembered who'd been behind him at that point, and as the man re-appeared from the toilet looking refreshed and calm, Logan couldn't help but wave in his direction. The man blanched and hurried away, and for his part Logan made sure he was the last off the plane. Peace comes at a price and sometimes that's being patient.
The weather was perfect, a storm was heading in from the pacific blowing everything toward the land, he could catch the smells of life all around him. Nearly a million people crammed into less space than New York, smiling to himself Logan went to meet his history and hopefully get some perspective on his future.
Chapter End Notes:
Heres the second chapter, the next one will be Marie and what she's upto back home.