The box sat in his pack,

It had for nearly a thousand miles, surely a few feet wouldn't make the difference would it? But stood here in the darkness, watching the sparkling lights on the beautiful fir tree made him wonder. If he put it in with the rest would it get missed, it was so small. Should he wait, give it to her in person?

He quickly shook that thought away from his mind, he was going away for a reason. He had to get things cleared first and that meant going far from the shores of America. Where a cherry filled cemetery awaited him and the violence he knew would come from him being there.

No he needed her to know he was coming back, to what he wasn't sure but he had to take the chance. After everything that had happened he needed to know if his dreams and hopes were real or they were just the delusions of his over stretched mind. He wiped his hand down his skin and rested his gaze on the huge glittering tree in front of him, he was about to turn around and leave when the idea struck him. Smiling he dropped his pack and dug out the small box, approaching the huge fir with hope blossoming in his chest.

“Rogue, there's something else on the tree!” Katherine was always seated under the huge Christmas tree, the kids loved to see her sat there every evening. She told them stories, made cookies and gingerbread, shared a little piece of love that they'd all missed out on. Even Scott had been seen sitting with her under the fragrant boughs a couple of nights ago, it was as if her kitchen had moved into the Rec Room for the Christmas Holiday. People didn't approach if you were talking to Katherine, but if she had a book in her lap then it was okay.

Katherine's eyes were locked onto a small brown box tied to the branches of the fir, it had only come to light because some of the needles had begun to fall. Christmas Day had been and gone and to find something else on the tree made Marie's heart leap into her mouth. As she approached Katherine shooed the children away naturally, they left knowing that whatever was going to be talked about wasn't for them to hear.
Both of them looked at the small brown box, it's wooden lid shining in the lights from the tree, Katherine spoke first. “I told you he hadn't forgotten you,” the smile she gave Marie spoke volumes and she went back to her charges, gathering them around the open fire instead to hear another fairy tale.

Slowly Marie reached up to the box, it was tied on with a black ribbon which was glued to the back of the box. Reaching in Marie undid the ribbon, bringing the small box to her chest. She wanted to open it but what if....all her doubts were singing in her head and kept her still, her ears were still working though and she caught the start of the story Katherine was reading. “We all wonder about the paths we take and some take us to danger, others to knowledge and some to love. We never know which one we're on until we make the first step.”

The words rang through her and her hands pulled the small catch open, inside the plain box was a cloth, a scarf and as she pulled at it something moved within the fabric. Gently Marie pulled the silk free, a chinese silk scarf decorated with cherry blossom, the clink of metal on wood had her eye back to the interior of the box. A ring, plain, not silver or gold but iron, cold forged and hammered by hand, inside it an inscription hand carved into the solid metal. 'Forged as one we are, when worn I know you're with me.' Silently Marie reached into the small box and slid the ring onto her finger, the snap of the box making Katherine look up from her story. Seeing where the ring was sitting, Katherine hoped Logan wouldn't be long in coming home, weddings take time to organise.
Chapter End Notes:
Pleas let me know if you want this to carry on,I've been away from L/M fic for a while and this just popped in there.