Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! Sorry this took longer than I expected. And so much for the speeding up of the timeline. That is coming soon though, I promise. As always, thanks for all the reviews. I'm like a slot machine, put in enough coins and eventually you'll hit the jackpot. Happy reading!
The four of them were back in Xavier's office now, having explained the simulation to Rogue while outside, and were standing in a lose semi-circle in front of his huge desk. Rogue kept tugging at the wrists of her shirt and playing with her hair, hands doing a nerve-revealing dance between the two that she couldn't seem to stop. She had one headphone in, the other hanging down her back, and was nodding slightly along to her Beatles soundtrack, trying to figure out how to start talking to the somewhat intimidating man behind the desk. Sure, according to most, he should be the anti-thesis to intimidating, being wheelchair bound and a somewhat small, older man, but she wasn't fooled. The way this guy carried himself screamed that he was comfortable in his own skin and with his, seemingly significant, powers. Maybe he could teach that, if she could only figure out how to ask, she mused. Not that she thought he was evil, he wasn't putting out any of those vibes, ones she had way too much experience with, he just was so sure of himself and his ideals that it cowed her to be in his presence. Not to mention the silence currently stretching to the breaking point between them. And still he just sat there.

She leaned slightly to the left, pushed up on her tiptoes and whispered so quietly that no one but Logan could hear.

"Why's he just staring at me?" Logan snorted and she heard it echoed by the Wolverine in her mind, who, after the hubbub earlier, had yet to go back to his previous silent vigil. However, the Logan in her head (god did she ever sound nuts) had wandered his way back into his room, evidently willing to stay there unless needed. At least someone was cooperating. She jumped when she felt the pressure of a big hand land on her lower back and push her forward a few steps.

"Rogue, this is Professor Charles Xavier. Chuck, this is Rogue, the real Rogue, or real as far as we can tell." She chuckled a little at that and swatted at him, hearing a grunt when her hand connected.

"Great, make fun of the crazy person while she can hear you." She snipped, not turning away from the professor. She summoned up a little wave and threw out a meek, "Hi. Nice to meet you, uh, again I guess."

He startled her when he threw his head back to laugh before reining it in. "My dear, I do believe this is a situation I have never been in. Though it was nice to meet Norbert, I am grateful to now know you as well. I must apologize for the situation that caused your..." he floundered for a moment, "slight mental vacation. I trust you are no worse off for you ordeal?"

"I'm as fine as I can be. And, professor, you can say crazy episode, I don't insult easily. Thanks for helping pull me out of it though. I don't know if it was something I could have done on my own." And that was truly depressing. She shouldn't need anyone.

"I do not believe you are crazy, Rogue, though we will get into that later. Regardless, your regards should go mostly to your three friends there. I did not contribute enough to make thanks necessary."

Her new friends had pulled her out? Again? The balancing of the scales was tipping even further away from her and she didn't know how she would ever be able to pay them back. Maybe that was what friendship was about? She couldn't really remember much about having friends, but she had for sure never felt this warmed by any of her pre mutation friends. "Thanks guys," she choked out, meeting each of their eyes, seeing them nod in turn, before squaring up to the front of the desk again.

"So, Rogue, I am most curious to hear your whole story and what the exact situation is with your mutation. Logan told me briefly but there were more pressing things going on at that time. I would love to know more."

Her lungs constricted and the air refused to leave her lungs. Logan had told him about her? What had he said? She didn't want everyone to know everything. It was super private and he had no right- Hold on Marie. She stopped the runaway train before it zoomed off a cliff. Logan wouldn't tell him more than what was necessary. He knew about secrets. He would know what to say and what leave out.

She breathed deep and looked into the professor's eyes. "Look, I know I'm here on your charity, well, mostly on charity. I have a little money and if you let me stay for a bit, I can at least kind of pay my way." Logan's vibrating growl stopped that track of conversation. "I'm just not really comfortable telling everyone everything that's gone on in my life. To be frank, I don't feel the connection with you that I picked up as soon as I met these three. That's nothing against you because I like you and all, but I don't trust you enough at the moment to just spill my guts. Logan already told you some, which should be enough for the moment. Let's play the get to know you game first." There. That wasn't too harsh, was it?

"Rogue, I respect how you feel and I don't want to pressure you into anything, but you really do need to talk about all the stressful times in your life. Bottling things up leads to a lot of horrible psychosomatic issues in the long run. I would hate for you to be affected as such." He sounded sincerely concerned, softening her heart towards him a little more.

"Well, last I checked, Logan counts as a person and I told him pretty much everything when we were on our way here. I'm all de-stressed and everything already. I know you're supposed to be running this show with the purpose of helping mutants, but I need some time to come about to believing that. At one time, I also thought parents were supposed to love and protect their children. We can all see where that's gotten me." She twisted her finger in a circle around her ear, the universal sign for crazy. "Also, I'm already having psychosomatic episodes. What's a few more?" She smiled with that, hoping to bring him into the joke and soften any potentially hurt feelings.

At least he looked as if he was thinking about what she had said. "If you feel comfortable leaving it at that, I will not now, or ever, push you to reveal more. Just please know that I am here if you wish to seek another person to talk to. Also, I think I may be able to help you with your mutation and the effects of it, if you would give me the chance."

"I think I would like that professor, eventually. Honestly, right now, I'm really tired and feeling super over stimulated. It's been years since I've seen anything new and all I've seen for the past day is new. I need some processing time. Is there somewhere I can lay down?" She just needed some breathing room where she wasn't expected to act any certain way, didn't have to be normal.

"Are you feeling on stable ground mentally?" he asked. She patted her headphones in response knowing that between the music and Wolverine, she was safe. He nodded in acceptance. "Very well. Jubilee, you and Kitty take Rogue to one of the empty rooms in the dorm. I believe the one at the end of the hallway you two are in is free." He turned back to her. "It was good meeting you Rogue and I hope you settle in here nicely.

She dipped her head in acknowledgement and turned to go, seeing Logan talking quietly to Kitty and Jubes. Conversation evidently finished, the two girls nodded and swept to the door, holding it open for her to leave. She looked at Logan briefly, who seemed to be staying behind, feeling slightly lost because he was going to leave her alone. He smiled and tipped his head towards the door, silently conveying that she follow the professor's instructions.

She squished the bad feeling. Of course Logan needed to talk to Xavier. They had left the mansion for a reason besides bringing her back after all. Information needed to be relayed. She waved and pushed out the door, following the other girls down the hall, letting her mind wander as she blindly trailed Jubes' neon yellow Keds up a flight of stairs. She didn't even notice when they passed the floor marked "dorms".




Logan heard the door click shut and deflated, flopping into a chair in front of Chuck's desk. He rubbed his face and tipped his head back over the edge of his chair, stretching the muscles of his neck, trying to decide how to say what was on his mind. He looked at Xavier. Fuck it. Who cared about phrasing anyway?

"You can't give her that room at the end of the hall. You seclude her like that and she's gonna treat the room just like the attic she was locked in. She'll stay there alone all the time because she don't know any different. She'll make herself a captive. None of us want that."

Xavier looked shocked and then thoughtful. "I honestly did not think about that, but it is an interesting observation. You know her well enough to say this?"

Logan thought it through for a minute, deciding that yeah, he did know her well enough for this decision, even after this short of a time. "Yeah. And I got a suggestion. In the teacher's wing there's a two-bedroom suite, one with an attached living room/kitchen and bathroom. Move her and the wonder twins there. They need'ta get outta the dorm anyway cause it's all younger kids now. They share one room and Rogue gets the other. That way, she don't have to share a bathroom with a bunch of kids who'll be freaked out by her skin and she'll have her own space, but will still have people around all the time. Jubes and Kitty like her and it'll be good for all of 'em." He let out a big breath and watched Chuck mull it over.

"I assume that you are referring to the room next to yours? She does seem to be more comfortable with you around and she has obviously formed an attachment to the three of you. I think you are correct in your assessment of the situation. I'll let you tell the girls of the new arrangement."

He felt lighter somehow and a smile crept across his lips. This was right.

"Hey Chuck. Don't tell anyone anything about her either. She's super private and didn't even want the wonder twins to know everything about her at first. I think we need to let her decide what she's telling who. And we need to see about getting her up to date on her education." Someone needed to keep an eye on her, just til she could do for herself and he was stepping into that spot, just like the wonder twins had done for him. He could do it, could make sure she got what she needed in order to adjust to her new life.

"I'm not sure if that is completely wise, Logan. We should at least tell the adults of the mansion what they are dealing with when it comes to her. You don't know what the consequ-"

Time to put a stop to that. "You can't tell anyone! She's twenty years old and this is her life. Her parents stole control from her for years. We can't do that too and expect her to trust us. She'll run again, just like she did from her parents. You don't want that and I can't have it."

Xavier reluctantly agreed. "Ok, Logan. We will leave it up to her. You should talk to her though about opening up to others." His raised eyebrow must have conveyed his thoughts. "I realize you are not exactly the poster boy for sharing, but it is important to her ability to become acclimated to the outside world."

"K, I'll say something. Not guaranteeing anything though."

"Understood. Now, did you find out anything when you were in New Orleans?"

"Yeah, that that stinking Cajun needs to learn how to find better restaurants."

Xavier chuckled. "Anything of importance?"

"Not really, Chuck. None of us are obvious though so it isn't like we were broadcasting 'Mutants here! Tell us what you think!'. Gambit will have to be the one to send along any information about how the fear and hatred is affecting the south. If the situation with Rogue's parents is any indication though, I'm guessing it's worse there than it is up here."

"Then it is a waiting game I suppose. We will see what Remy can stir up." He paused briefly, lost in his own thoughts before remembering that someone else was in the room. "I am sure you are tired from all the travel. Please, do not let me keep you any longer. Go get the girls settled and I am sure I will see you tomorrow."

Logan pushed to his feet, feeling both tired and accomplished. Today'd hadn't been a total wash, he thought, throwing a mock salute to Xavier and making his way upstairs to his room. They'd found out more about Rogue's situation, not in a way he was thrilled about, but it was still ok, and the wonder twins were going to be moved out of the dorm and into their own space, something he had been pushing for. Overall, not too awful.

He pushed the door to his room open and looked around. Rogue and Jubes were asleep in his bed, a pile of pillows stacked up between them to stop accidental touching, and Kitty was curled up in his recliner by the window, reading a book. Rogue's CD player was on the desk and the clock radio was on, tuned to what sounded like some twangy country. He grinned at the three of them, glad they were comfortable in his space.

Walking over to Jubes, on the far side of the bed, he poked her in the shoulder to wake her, watching her sit up and push her hair out of her face. He got both her and Kitty to follow him out into the hallway, closing the door behind him and opening the door to the right of his room.

"You all are moving. I talked it out with the professor and he agreed that it was time anyway, so this just helped make the decision. The three of you are gonna live in here." A wave of the hand indicated the space inside, taking in the leather couches, television and small kitchen area. He suddenly had a few doubts "You did still want to live with her, right?"

Jubilee's face almost split from the width of her smile. "Hell yeah we do, Wolvie! This is so insanely amazing! Kit Kat, we have our own bathroom! Holy shit, the messes we can make without people getting pissed!" She danced into the room, checking out different areas and still blabbing about what could go where. Crazy Asian.

He turned to Kitty. "Well?"

She, always more composed than her counterpart, smiled and nodded slightly to him. "It's wonderful, Logan. It will be nice to get out of the dorm. Also, I want to get to know Rogue more and I really want to help her. I think this is the best way to do that. Jubes and I can share the bigger bedroom and we'll get her set up in the smaller one. You helping us move?"

"Yeah, kid. I'll help. Only cause jellybean wouldn't ever let me hear the end of it if I didn't." He grinned. "Let's get Rogue set up in her room and then we can get all of your crap in here too." He wanted her to be able to rest without interruption cause interruptions seemed to be the story of his life at the moment.

"Ok. Let me go get something from our old room. Then we can move her into here." Kitty took off down the hallway and went back next-door, grabbing the CD player off the desk as he walked over to Rogue's side. He really didn't want to wake her; she looked so exhausted laying there, half curled up on her side. He reached out and brushed a piece of hair back, off of her face, and stayed there, watching her sleep until Kitty came in to find him.

"We're all set," she whispered, touching him lightly on the back before turning to leave again. He tucked the CD player into the back of his jeans, bent down and picked Rogue up, surprised that she didn't wake when her body left the bed. Poor thing had been through a lot. He checked the hallway before leaving the room, no one around, and started humming when they left the music of the room behind. If anyone besides his girls saw this, he'd have to bury them deep in the woods to escape the teasing.

Kitty was holding the main door open and didn't make a noise as he followed her to the room on the left. He shot her a look of thanks when he heard the music, coming from a small silver boom box, chasing away the silence. Laying Rogue on the bed took little effort, but leaving the room after doing so was another story. Some part of him wanted to watch her, make sure nothing was allowed to disturb her rest.

He shook his head, set the CD player done on the bedside table and left, pulling the door securely shut behind him. He looked around the living room and rubbed his hands together.

"Let's get moving girls." He said, driving them both out into the hallway. "Goal time is: one hour."




Not too bad, he thought, an hour and a half later as he finally got back to his room. They'd enlisted some of the younger kids to schlep stuff, with Logan running the herd, while the two girls chucked their belongings into boxes and bags for transport. It'd all gone smoothly and quickly, leaving the girls with everything in one place. They were gonna work at putting shit away in the morning, after everyone had slept themselves out. Which was exactly as he planned to do.

He started stripping as he crossed the room, dropping clothes wherever they landed in an uncharacteristic show of sloppiness. Naked, he flopped into his bed, getting momentarily over whelmed by the smell of Rogue and Jubes that whooshed up with the air. He grinned and pulled the covers over him, leaving the radio on as he fell into sleep, happy to know that, for now at least, his three girls were just fine.
Chapter End Notes:
Reviews make writers happy! Kiss Kiss!

No quotes in this one. What's the world coming to?