Author's Chapter Notes:
Summary: Rogue's life has become pretty complicated after Alkali Lake. Logan's gone, Christmas is coming, and her relationship with her friends consists mostly of notes left in strange and unlikely places. Ororo gets the brilliant idea to teach the kids the Joy of the Envelope, and now a total stranger knows more about her than anyone else. Told through letters, emails, and notes from Secret Societies, like in Feeling Sorry For Celia I've been working on this story since I was 15--about 7 years ago. I recently was re-inspired and started working on it again, and figured it was about time to stop lurking and share it on here.

The format is based on the book Feeling Sorry For Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty. It's a great book that I'd definitely recommend. If you get confused, just assume that the letters from secret societies and The Cold Hard Truth Association, etc (they'll be in italics, unless I really messed up the formatting!) are figments of Rogue's imagination.

Thanks for reading!

(from last chapter)

But I'd stopped listening.

"I grabbed her by the arms and pulled her out of the room…"

Logan's voice sounded funny.

"Rogue, what's gotten into you? What could he possibly say that would make you…"

Scott kept on talking, and I could feel Logan staring at me, but all I could do was stare at my arms. My gloveless arms.

"Rogue. Rogue, I'm asking you…"

I looked up and met Logan's eyes, which looked just as shocked as I'm sure mine did. He looked at his hands for a second, and Scott looked from me to him as though we had both gone insane.

And then I fainted.


(all that space, by the way, is to give you time to soak up the dramatic-ness of that scene)

When I woke up, the first thing I noticed was that I was back in the room, in bed, and someone's hand was on my forehead.

And it was really, really silent.

I shot up from bed, and Scott stepped back. Logan looked up from the chair next to my bed and removed his hand, which I noticed for the first time had been resting on top of mine.

I don't think I have to tell you how weird this all was.

"What's going on?" I asked, and my voice seemed to echo throughout the room. I put my hands up to my ears and realized why my voice sounded so loud.

There were no voices in my head.

(Yeah, I know. Got issues?…)

"What happened to me?" I whispered this time. "Scott? Why can Logan touch me?"

Scott looked at Logan uneasily. "We're not sure yet." He ran his hands through his hair, and I knew then that they didn't think this was a good thing.

I'm not so sure. It's been a couple of hours now and the doctors have been running some tests, and as far at they can tell, I'm stable. I was really anxious about having them touch me at first-I didn't know when it might turn on again, and I didn't want to hurt anyone. Logan volunteered as a test dummy, and even though I was reluctant to use him for that, Scott convinced me it was necessary.

I hope to God my faith in him isn't for nothing. For all I know, he could have been hoping Logan would end up on the floor.

So it looks like I can touch people, at least for the time being, but Scott seems really worried about this. He's been on the phone with Professor and Hank all morning, asking for their opinion, but he won't tell me what they're saying. I'm trying not to worry.

I mean, how long have I wanted this? I actually can't remember what it's like to not have voices in my head, or how it feels to touch someone without worrying that I might kill them.

But you know all of this. There's no point saying it over again, especially when it's the only thing I've been thinking about since all of this happened.

Actually that's not true. My friends, Jubilee and Kitty, sent me a fax this morning that has me more than a little worried.

It sounds like Peter (that guy I told you about, Kitty's ex-boyfriend) is back at the mansion, and the drama is beginning again (well, according to Jubilee anyway). I guess Peter's sister was sicker than everyone thought, because she passed away a month ago, and he's come back to the mansion because he has no where else to go.

That's not the only thing either. He's joining the team, which is just…I don't know. I guess it's just so weird to think that one of us (by that I mean the students that I've been friends with since I got here) is now…an X-Man. It's hard to explain. I guess it would be like Ben or Leah suddenly becoming one of your teachers or guidance counsellors or something. Maybe it's not even that. We all knew it would only be a matter of time before Bobby officially joined the team, but I think after Peter left Kitty like that, we were all mad at him on her behalf for awhile. It's going to take some time for us all to get over that I guess.

So anyways, Peter's back, and apparently he thought that he and Kitty could just pick up where they left off, and was a little confused when she wasn't so thrilled with the idea. I also don't know if he understands who the tall, spiky haired kid standing next to Kitty glaring at him is.

Okay, this letter is ridiculous. I can't believe I'm sending you two of these. I wouldn't even bother sending them to anyone else, but I think you'll understand that not only are these events Monumental and Exciting, but that I'm also Bored Out Of My Mind (even with all of this drama).

Love and Chocolate Chip Pancakes,

Rogue


Kitty and Jubilee,

Thanks for your letter. I cannot tell you how unbelievably bored I am here, although I am going to have a lot to tell you when I get back.

I feel fine, really, and I'm sorry, Jubilee, I'm not drop kicking John for you. I already got in enough trouble for trying to throw a glass at him (long story).

Kit, I'm sorry, I know this must be really hard on you. Jubes, make her cookies or something, please? Those choco-nut-peanut-butter-marshmallow ones you made for Steph when she found out Taylor and Taylor broke up?

About Bobby…

OH, LOOK, I'VE RUN OUT OF ROOM!

Love you guys!

-Rogue


Rogue,

Please find yourself a paper bag. Or at least a hairbrush, for goodness sakes.

Your hair is stuck to your face, your eyes are bloodshot, and your cuticles are an absolute disgrace. We cannot believe you are letting people see you like this!

No wonder Bobby broke up with you. You might have had a chance Rogue. A few facials, a good haircut and a weekly mani-pedi, and there could have been hope for you.

But, well… We suppose you've always got those paper bags.

Disappointedly,

The Society of Beautiful People (SOB.P)


Rogue,

Remember the first time Bobby introduced you to John? Remember how he referred to him as "His Best Friend"?

Remember the time you feel asleep when helping John with his Physics homework? Remember how he carried you to the couch and covered you with a blanket? And then when you woke up he was sleeping on the couch next to you, despite the fact that he has a perfectly good bed of his own, and even though he knew that a slip of your hand could have killed him?

Remember the time you waited in line all night to get Bobby those Red Hot Chilli Pepper tickets? Remember how John was the only one willing to wait with you?

Remember when you lost your Eminem CD? Remember how John helped you look all over the mansion before giving you his own signed copy?

And remember the time John's cousin Sara flew in from Australia to visit him? Remember how he introduced you to her as "His Best Friend?"

Nostalgically yours,

The Memory Trigger Society


Rogue,

Yeah, right. Like you're actually going to NOT tell us what's been happening?

Throwing a glass at John? That's impressive.

If you don't tell us about it, you wont hear from us again. We don't care how bored you are.

We love you, Rogue, really, but if you don't pull out a pen and start writing us a new, GOOD letter right this instant, we will have no choice but destroy your favourite pair of jeans.

Yes, THOSE jeans. The gorgeous Seven jeans that have their own designated spot in your closet and that we all hate you for looking so great in.

So get writing.

We mean it.

-Kitty and Jubilee


Kitty and Jubilee,

Aww, thank you guys so much for caring! As soon as I got your letter, I picked up my pen because I knew I just had to tell you everything. I'll start with the most important and exciting thing:

IF YOU SO MUCH AS TOUCH MY JEANS, I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN, RIP OUT YOUR INSIDES AND EAT THEM FOR BREAKFAST. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH THOSE COST? DON'T THINK I WON'T. THIS IS ME, TALKING, NOT LOGAN. Understand?

Okay now that that's over with…

The glass throwing thing was no big deal, honestly. But I will tell you guys what happened, because I love you and I know you'd never really hurt my jeans (RIGHT?).

Basically, John and I got into a fight. It actually took longer than I thought, considering we've been cooped up in this hospital for weeks (even though Scott's still insisting it's only been a couple of days). Anyway, he was being his usual, douche-baggy self, I went to throw something at him, because I was really mad, and Logan grabbed my arm to stop me.

Geniuses that we are, it took us a few minutes to notice I wasn't wearing gloves.

Oh, and he wasn't dead.

ANYWAYS, I kinda passed out, and when I woke up, Scott was feeling my forehead, and Logan had his hand on mine (Don't even say it!), and neither of them were wearing gloves.

So of course I was freaking out a bit because of top of that, I couldn't hear anyone in my head. Like for once there was no John, Magneto, Logan, Bobby, or David in my head. I asked Scott what was wrong with me and he said he didn't know.

And then Hank came. (I'm actually kind of wondering if there are any teachers left at the school) He told me that they weren't sure yet, but it looked like I'd contracted a really serious virus that only affects mutants. Somehow it latches onto the X-gene or X-factor or whatever and starts to replicate stuff…RNA or DNA, I think. This was the part I wasn't too clear on. I saw Logan's eyes glaze over and I started to wish I had taken Biology. (Correction: I started to wish I had paid attention in Biology) Anyway, it messes with your powers (in my case, makes them dormant) before they start to become out of control.

'Out of control?' You're asking yourselves now (I know because it's what I said). 'Out of control how?'

The short answer is I don't know. From what I can tell, there's actually very little known about this virus (I'm not even sure if it has a name).

"From what we can tell," Hank said patiently, "Both of you are in the early stages of the virus, which is characterized by flu or cold-like symptoms."

I know, you're trying to take it all in right? 'Okay,' You're thinking, 'how long until you get better?' Right?

Scott and Hank didn't answer me when I asked. I looked from one to the other for an answer, and then, for some reason, at John. He had been looking at me, but when I met his gaze, he turned and looked out the window. It was Logan that said "We don't know."

I didn't say anything after that. I think they all realized how tired I was, because Scott suggested that I get some rest and Logan asked me if I wanted anything from the vending machines. I asked him if he could get me a hot chocolate, and the three of them left, Hank saying he had some paperwork to take care of. Logan paused in the doorway before he left, an expression on his face that I couldn't read. Then he closed the door and I was left in the semi-darkness to think this over.

I lay there for awhile before I heard sheets rustling and remembered I wasn't alone. I turned on my side to look at John. He was on his side too, and I could see a bit of the light from the hallway reflecting in his eyes as he looked at me.

"Hank said both of us," I said softly. "You have it too?"

He nodded, erupting into a bout of coughing. When it calmed down, I asked him "How long have you known?"

He didn't answer right away. "Awhile."

But I persisted. "Before Alkali Lake?" But he didn't answer, so I lay back, staring at his profile, wondering if Bobby knew John was sick.

My eyes started to drop, and I was almost asleep, when:

"I'm sorry."

I opened one eye to look at him, but his were closed.

I must have been asleep when Logan came back with my hot chocolate, but I felt someone push the hair off my face, and when I half woke up in the middle of the night, I saw him asleep in the chair next to me, feet up on the bed again. One arm was sprawled across his chest, his hand bunched in a fist, and the other hand was on top of mine.

I don't know why I told you guys that. I just know you're going to have a field day with it.

I think he just knew it was what I needed at that moment.

So that's what's been happening. Hank said that he's getting a geneticist to come in and explain to us the virus a little bit better tomorrow, so hopefully I'll understand it better then.

Thanks for making me tell you guys that, I feel a lot better. Especially knowing my jeans are now safe.

Love,

Rogue


TOP EIGHT RULES OF CONDUCT WHEN IN THE PRESENCE OF A WORLD FAMOUS GENETICIST (who by the way travelled a ridiculous number of hours to be here today)

By Hank McCoy, as Dictated to Rogue D'Ancanto and John Allardyce

Rule #8. When Scott comes in to tell you that you have a visitor, it might be a good idea to be fully conscious before responding.

Rule #7. If, however, you choose to respond while in this semi-conscious state, saying "Yes, Scott, we would be delighted to welcome Ms. Moira McTaggart into our hospital room," would be deemed by all present to be an appropriate response.

Rule #6. NOT "Oh no, Orlando, I'm FAR too tired from last night."

Rule #5. And when actually being introduced to said world-famous geneticist, a simple "How do you do?" will suffice.

Rule #4. To reiterate, I have verified that "What up, G?" is not considered by etiquette authorities to be a universally understood greeting.

Rule #3. When having the details of a very serious illness explained to you (which, may I remind you, you both have), it is recommended that you sit quietly and listen (maybe throwing in a nod of understanding every now and then) to the details being provided to you. This is the sign of a mature individual taking in the importance of a situation.

Rule #2.. Bursting into giggles at the word "diploid" is not.

And the number one, most important rule of conduct when speaking to a world famous geneticist?

#1. Do not tell her that you think your Professor "has the hots" for her.


Response to TOP EIGHT … (blah blah)… FAMOUS GENETICIST

By J-Dawg and Ro.D (as dictated to Dr. Hank McCoy)

6. Despite what you may think, we made a wonderful impression on Dr. McTaggart.

We hung on to every fascinating word she said

Logan was the one falling asleep

5. We were polite and gracious

She thought we were "ahbsolutlay chahming"

She's Scottish, J-Dawg, not English.

4. And if some of us were a little tired when we were being introduced, surely she understood.

Have you even seen Pirates of the Caribbean?

3. If we can get Kitty (from now on referred to as "K-Pry") to start saying "sick" on a regular basis, then we can get you used to the idea that "What up, G?" is not only a polite greeting, but a compliment.

It means she's cool, Hank. She "gets" us.

2. We were simply trying to demonstrate that we will not let this serious illness get us down. We will rise above it, with humour…and grace…

Say it out loud. Please? Just once. Dip-loid. Diploid. D-I-P-L-O-I-D.

…and funny words?

It sounds like a robot!

And the number one response to Hank's Top Eight Rules…(blah blah)?

1. What, do you have a crush on her or something?