The parking garage was dark and deserted; the perfect setting for the Wolverine to take action. The mark had taken a new path home after work this evening. Strange, considering he had walked to work this morning as he did every day. But, the hunter followed behind the mark. He kept a good distance between the two, far enough away to avoid detection, but close enough to catch up if the mark tried to escape.

      He ignored the damp chill that radiated from the concrete as he slunk through the shadows, and tried to tune out the terrible scents that hung in the air. Gasoline, mould, cigarettes, bad body odour and urine; it was almost too much. The Wolverine focused his senses on the mark, and stalked onwards.

      The mark was nervous. His fluttering heartbeat and quick pace made it obvious. When he glanced over his shoulder, the sweat on his forehead gleamed in the yellow light. The Wolverine hesitated. He hadn’t revealed himself yet, why was the man panicking? He decided to get the job done, before the man fled into a more populated area.

      Near silent footsteps, the rustle of his leather coat, the mark heard neither of them. The Wolverine moved in closer and closer. His senses were on fire, the echoes of voices on the floors above and the street below sounded absurdly loud, and the mark’s footsteps were like drumbeats on the bare concrete. A low growl emitted from the Wolverine’s throat, and the mark’s heart rate doubled. He let out a small cry as he broke into a run. Wolverine easily caught up. The adamantium claws shot out of his hands, and the man must have heard, because he started yelling. Fool.

      “Help! Somebody help!” His voice echoed. His next syllable was mangled into a shriek as three of the claws drove into his back and pierced his lungs, and the other three raked the back of his head. He stumbled and collapsed to the ground.

      “Parker!” The man yelled helplessly. A satisfied smirk, and the fist poised for another strike and- shit. Someone was coming. The Wolverine looked up, spotted someone running at him. No, three people now. Shit .

      “Par-“ the man choked, swallowed. “Parker!”

      The one in front was a girl. The Wolverine hesitated. He may not have a problem killing a man when asked to, but a child was out of the question. His claws slipped back in, and he stepped back. The girl and the other two with her – her parents, he assumed – were close. Too close. The woman was grabbing at the girl, trying to pull her back, the father frozen in shock. Wolverine sneered and turned to dash away when a gunshot rang out. It was loud, the volume enough to stagger him for a second. The girl was screaming now. The mark was silent. Wolverine’s head whipped around, searching for a sign of the gunman. There, a glint of light behind him, at the opposite end of the building. He heard the tinkle of a shell casing hitting the floor, click of the gun being reloaded. A figure emerged from the corner, and stepped into the dim light. Shit shit shit.

      “Make one more move, and the next one is for you,” the figure said, his voice was deep and calm. The Wolverine tensed, clenched his hands at his side. The figure gestured with his hand, and more men seeped out from the shadows. Footsteps could be heard above and below. More were coming.

      “Ah, Wolverine,” The man sighed, “I can’t believe it was this easy.” Wolverine bared his teeth in reply. The man crossed his arms behind his back and strolled closer. “Shame to lose one of my men,” he clucked his tongue as he eyed up the body on the floor behind Wolverine. His gaze shifted to a point in the distance and he gave a slight nod. There was a scuffle, and protests from the girl and her family.

      “Leave them out of this,” The Wolverine hissed. The man in front of him turned his attention back to the brute. “Will you follow me willingly, or will we have to drag you out as well?” The Wolverine snorted, and the men around him drew closer. The air radiated with tension as they considered each other. The Wolverine strained his ears and nose, tried to count the men around him, but there were too many. He’d been in tighter situations than this, he knew. He met the eyes of the one in front of him, letting out a rumble from his chest.

      A heartbeat later there was chaos. Adamantium met flesh, and metal and leather. Blood sprayed into his eyes, but he did not need vision. Instinct guided his movement, ducking blows and driving his claws in any target he could reach. And then there was only pain. His muscles clamped as electricity surged through him, everything went white. A second gunshot echoed, and his body slumped to the cold concrete floor.
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry if it is a little short. I usually try to keep chapters longer than this, but it felt like a good place to end.