Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you all again for all the comments and ratings :)
I put my foot down harder on the gas pushin’ my truck to go as fast as it can. Jubilee’s words ricochetin’ just like a bullet in my head. Part of me doubts her, but she’s my friend, she’d never lie to me especially ‘bout somethin’ like this. Of course not. And now I have to know. I can’t just ignore it, pretend it ain’t happenin’ an’ run away from my problems.

Damn, how come I never noticed this before? Now when I think of it, Marie does act kinda strange around me sometimes. And yesterday, all the googly-eye staring an’ blushin’. And I noticed the sound o’ her heart racin’ sometimes but I always put that down to somethin’ else, I never imagined it was me makin’ all those things happen.

What should I do? Do I buy her flowers or write a poem like Yella suggested? Well words were never my forte, so that’s a definite no to the poetry. Flowers, hmm…seems a little too cliché. Dinner? I ain’t too sure about the ‘wine’ part, but the ‘dine’ seems alright. I ain’t much of a cook so I guess I’ll have to take her out some place. No trashy diners though, it has to be somewhere nice. Jeez I don’t have a clue, I’ve never done anythin’ like this before.

How do I tell her? “Hey darlin’ by the way, I love ya?” No that’s no good. God dammit this isn’t goin’ to work. Its not like I find it hard to get women, but this is Marie. My Girl. It has to mean somethin’, be special, show her I’m serious, that she ain’t gonna be just another notch on my bedpost. Bed…I can’t wait to get her in my bed tonight, fuck her brains out- No, no. No fuckin’. The animal in me lets out a disappointed growl. Too bad mister, strictly no fuckin‘. If she does get in my bed tonight, an’ god willin’ she will, we will make love.

I reach my destination in fifteen minutes, that’s a new record, it usually takes just over half an hour to get to this town. I pull into the trailer park. Past all the old dingy trailers, their once white exteriors now an off yellow colour, mould growin’ on most o’ ’em. I stop when I get to the one with tacky pink curtains. The trailer door opens as I climb out o’ my truck. She’s standin’ there in a low-cut pink blouse, tight jeans that hug all the wrong places, smilin’. Sickenin’ really. What was I thinkin’?

“Hey, I wasn’t expecting you, what a nice surprise.” She beams bearing her yellowin’ teeth to me, makin’ all the wrinkles in her face stand out like gapin’ crevasses. What the hell was I thinkin‘?

“Yeah well, you won’t be seein’ me anymore.”

“Wha-what do you mean baby?” she asks frownin’ at me, lookin’ at me like she don‘t understand a word I‘m sayin‘.
I pull the black case outta the cab o’ the truck and sling it over to her, splashin’ her white jeans with muddy water as it lands in a puddle.

“I don’t understand. Please Honey don’t do this, I love you” she begs, makin’ my stomach churn.

“Well,” I say harshly as I turn to get back into my truck “I don’t love you.”

“It’s her isn’t it? That weirdo that turned up the other day! I knew it!” she screeches at me, throwin’ her hands in the air.

I turn on my heel when she says this and march right over to her makin’ her cower in my shadow. “Don’t you ever talk about her like that again.” I growl. I climb back into my truck and pull away leavin’ her standin’ there, mouth hangin’ open.

***

I got back to the cabin in record time too. Marie was sittin’ there patiently, just watchin’ t.v. I walked in an’ casually sat down next to her.
“Where did you go?” she asked curiously lookin‘ up at me with those big emerald eyes o‘ hers, fiddling with the ends o’ her hair.

“Never you mind darlin’” I grined.
She raised her eyebrows at me but didn’t ask anymore questions.

**

The leaves crunch under our feet as we walk side by side. She leads the way followin’ where her curiosity takes her. We emerge from the trees at the river bank. I stand an’ watch as she walks up to the waters edge and peers in. She takes a few careful steps closer an’ leans forward to get a better look into the crystal clear river.

A gentle breeze blows her silky hair as she turns around, smilin’ at me. The blue water behind her suddenly flashes red like in my dream.
“Logan?” she repeats, only I hear her this time, her voice suddenly snappin’ the landscape back to its original colours. ”Are you alright?” she asks walkin’ over to me lookin’ concerned.

“I’m fine. Just tired.” I lie.

We sit on the river bank for a while, her eyes drift around taking in all o’ natures beauty.

“How about we go to Tony‘s tonight?” she asks as we watch the water.

I raise an eyebrow at her “Well if you wanna go out for dinner then don’t you wanna go somewhere…nicer?” I try to persuade her.

She sighs “Nah. Bobby used to always take me to fancy restaurants, I never liked them but I didn‘t have the heart to tell him at the time. Anyway sugar,” she continues, her lips curlin’ into a playful smile “it’s Friday, Tony’s will be fun. A steak, few beers, couple of rounds of pool. Come on, what do you say?”

“You had me at ‘sugar’, darlin’” I wink.

***

We went, we ate steak, had a few beers and played pool just like she wanted. Of course I let her win a few times, what kinda gentleman would I be if I didn‘t? And now we’re back at the cabin.

“Sarah’s still not back” Marie says curiously as she takes a seat on the sofa.

I grin as I being puttin’ wood into the fireplace “Well, she had to leave.”

“Oh, right.” she furrows her brow a little. She watches as I strike a match an’ place it amongst the pile of wood. “You know, its weird not having my mutation anymore.” she muses, smilin’ to herself as she looks down at her bare arms. “No more worries.”

“Did you tell Jubilee?”

“No. I don’t really want the whole school finding out about it. They already know enough about my personal life as it is.” she says rolling her eyes obviously referrin‘ to Bobby.

“Well, don’t you worry about that. His loss. If he couldn‘t see past your mutation the he obviously didn‘t deserve ya.” I sigh as I sink down next to her on the sofa. “You know darlin’,” I say, sweepin’ a lock of white hair out of her eyes, lettin’my fingers run down her cheek “I’d of had you anyway, mutation or not.”

Her eyes widen at my words, lips part slightly in astonishment as she stares at me. I can smell the mix o’ emotions comin’ from her but I’m not quite sure what it means. I take hold of her tremblin’ hand as I lean closer an’ look deep into her eyes “I love you Marie. I always have.”
Chapter End Notes:
You know what to do...