Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you all for your comments and ratings :)
The lush green grass blows gently in the summer breeze, it tickles against my face as I step outside into the warm glow o’ the sun. I lean against the door frame an’ take a refreshin’ mouth full o’ cool crisp beer as I take in the view.
Perfect blue sky. Tall pine trees cover the high mountains far into the distance. I can see the white water as gushes down the waterfall into the perfectly calm blue river beneath it. The sun light dances on its surface, shimmerin‘ with every ripple. Purple flowers weave between the taller grass nearer the trees an’ in the perfect green meadow in front o’ me, there she is. The wind gently blowing her soft white and brunette locks in slow motion makin’ her look like an angel. Her white summer dress hangs just above her knee, arms bare. She smiles as she locks eyes with me, her cheeks flushin’ a little like she knows exactly what I’m thinkin’.

I hear gentle laughter. She turns, kneels to the ground to catch the young boy throwin’ himself into her open arms.
She holds him, sighs an’ smiles to herself as she runs her fingers though his wild black hair, pushes the little white streak out of his eyes with her thumb. He whispers somethin’ in her ear, they both giggle to each other.
“Get over here” she calls playfully.
“Yeah Daddy, come on!” he urges, pullin’ himself outta her embrace. He takes hold o’ her hand, and holds out his other to me.

I smile, place my now empty bottle down on the wooden table an’ make my way over to the two most perfect things I’ve ever seen in all my life.
She smiles the whole time, never taking her eyes off me. My eyes drift from hers down to the boy in the bright red t-shirt. Wide smile, deep green eyes, little white streak. I reach out to take hold o’ his waitin’ hand.

The sky turns black. All the sounds o’ nature cease. The perfect waterfall starts spewing blood, churning the once clear blue water crimson. The lush green grass turns brown, crumbles to dust. The flowers wither and die as all the tall trees burst into flames igniting the sky’s blackness with an orange blaze. They scream, they cry out in desperation, frantically reachin’ out to me as they cling to each other. I try. I try to reach out, save them. I run, but the closer I get, the further away they become. I push with all the strength I have against the unseen force holdin’ me back, every agonizing inch brings me closer to them and just as I reach out, just centimetres from them, they turn to ash.


“Logan, Logan!”
My eyes shoot open as I jolt up. I yell, howl, scream. I gasp for air, I feel like I can’t breath. Cold sweat runnin’ down my shakin’ body. I quickly turn. She’s here, she’s safe, frightened but safe. “It was just a dream Logan.” she reassures me, her voice tremblin’ as she carefully reaches and gently rests her bare hand on my arm. My breath slows, my heart still poundin’. I pull her close and wrap my arms tightly around her, breathe in her scent as I sigh in relief. She’s here, it’s alright. It was just that dream again…

***

It was awfully sweet of Logan to get rid of Sarah last night. I think he guessed I felt uncomfortable around her, he has a weird ability to know everything I feel…well apart from one thing. Which is a good thing, I mean, I wouldn’t want him finding out about my feelings for him, not from him using his senses anyway.
We went to the nearest town a few miles away to get some supplies for out night in together. The small store was just about to close when we got there but the woman behind the counter let us in anyway. Pizza, popcorn, some beers, cigars for Logan and a dvd. Dawn of the Dead, my choice.

I like horror movies and it gave me an excuse to huddle up to Logan in the scary parts. He laughed when I let out a little yelp “Thought you liked these kinda movies” he smirked putting his arm around me. We stayed on the sofa like that for most of the night, it felt so natural, no awkwardness. Just me and Logan cuddled up in front of the t.v. me in my pajamas, him in his jeans and wifebeater.

My eyes flickered open a little as he was carrying me to bed. But I didn’t say anything, just closed my eyes again. I felt him gently lower me onto the soft mattress and pull the covers over me. Then I felt him sink down next to me. I opened my eyes, blinked slowly into the darkness. I was in his room, his bed laying next to him. “Get some sleep darlin’” he lulled, his voice low, rough and soothing.

I was woken by him twitching and mumbling in his sleep which then turned into violent thrashing and growling. I tried shaking him, calling his name to wake him up, but it didn’t work. I watched helplessly as he twisted and turned around under the covers. Then after what seemed like an eternity, he woke up howling, sweat dripping from his body. I’d seen him having nightmares before, I knew what they were like, I’d had them myself. Wars, blood, fighting, a tank of water, needles, people wearing masks. But I’d never seen him like this, he looked terrified. He turned to me, grabbed hold of me, held me close. Whatever he’d dreamed about, it must be really bad to make him, the fearless Wolverine, so scared.

I make my way into the kitchen after my shower, the smell of bacon and eggs drawing me in. “Mornin’” Logan grunts as he cracks another egg into the hot frying pan.
“Good morning” I reply sheepishly “Did you need a hand?”
He shakes his head still not looking at me, his jaw tensing a little. I take a seat at the table, knives and forks already laid out, a glass with a carton of orange juice sitting next to it and a mug of freshly made coffee.
“Kid,” he says after a long silence “I’m sorry about last night, didn’t mean to scare ya”
“Its okay, I understand” I nod quickly.
He turns and smiles weakly at me before turning back to place the bacon and eggs onto the two plates next to the cooker along with some toast. It’s funny that everyone thinks of Logan as a big mean killing machine, the kinda guy you don’t ever want to meet down an alley way on a dark night. But they don’t see the side of him that I do, the nice, gentle, caring side of him. And besides I think my idea of what would happen down that alley is much different to everyone else’s.
“You ok kid?” he asks looking a little concerned as he walks over to the table with a plate in either hand.
“Yeah, I’m fine” I reply quickly when I realise I’ve been staring at him. Man, I gotta stop doing that.

“So, did you wanna talk about your dream?” I ask when we’ve both cleared our plates.
He shakes his head, eyebrows twisting into a frown “Nah, it’s stupid.” he says leaning back in his chair, folding his arms across his chest.
“Well, it can’t be that stupid. You were scared half to death -”
He shoots me a look from across the table, his nostrils flaring slightly, hands clenching a little “I said, I don’t wanna talk about it, so just drop it okay?”
“Sorry” I say, my eyes dropping to the floor. Why did I have to push him for an answer. I’m such an idiot.
He sighs “Marie, I really don‘t want to even think about it.” I look up at him, his features have softened. He stands up and walks around to me, lifts my chin with his index finger so I’m looking straight into his eyes. “It was just a dream, okay?” he whispers to me, although it sounds more like he’s reassuring himself.
Chapter End Notes:
Comment and rate!