Breakfast was…awkward. Full more of questions and little stories of Logan and Sarah’s ‘adventures’, although he didn’t find them as amusing as she did. She reminds me of that ginger girl in the American Pie movies “One time, at band camp,”. I was relieved when I found out she had to go to work today, not sure if I could stand spending another day with her and her little anecdotes, yesterday was bad enough.

I’d stayed in bed until nearly 11am. I wasn’t sleep, I was trying to avoid her. And Logan for that matter. I wanted to see him, but I wasn’t sure if I could face seeing the two of them together. When I did finally pluck up the courage to leave ‘my’ room, I found them in the kitchen. He was leaning against the kitchen counter, her pressing herself against him, her lips just about to touch his. He pushed her away when he saw me, probably didn’t want me to be reminded of Bobby. I wanted to turn and run away when I saw the two of them there like that. The rest of the day didn’t get any easier. Her all over him like a rash. I think he got a little annoyed with her in the end, told her to stop when she started getting a little too friendly with him in front of me. She was full of apologies, he’d obviously told her about what happened between me and Bobby. I went to bed early too, not that I was tired. I’d seen enough of her pawing him for one day.

After a shower and a change of clothes, I sit on ’my’ bed bushing my damp hair wondering what I should do now. I can’t stay here much longer, not with her. Her sweet smile, her disgustingly sweet voice. Out of all the women I’ve seen Logan with, she was the nicest by far. Looks and personality, despite her obvious lack of brain cells. I can’t compete with that. I knew coming here was a bad idea.

I sigh and stuff my pj’s back into my duffel bag along with my wash bag. I mean, she’s just so overwhelmingly nice it’s annoying. I didn’t think she was Logan’s type but hell, come to think of it, I think she’s every guys type. Who wouldn’t want a beautiful woman like her to look after them? And if she can fuck as good as she can cook, then…actually I don’t want to think about that.

“Bye sweetie” I hear her call out followed by the sound of the front door closing. I sigh, but the fact that she’s gone is replaced with anxiety. Now I’m alone with Logan.

I hadn’t imagined for one second that anything like this would happen. I thought it would be simple; I come here, say ‘I love you’ then he’d say he loves me too and we all live happily ever after. I should know happily-ever-after doesn’t exist, not in real life anyway.

“Marie?” he calls from the other side of the door a few minutes after she’s gone, interrupting my lamenting. I quickly get to my feet, look down at myself brushing the creases out of my clothes before opening the door to be greeted by Logan leaning casually against the wood-panelled wall, one hand in his jeans pocket, the other rubbing the back of his neck. He looks kinda bashful, its cute and I can’t help but smile at him. “I er, was wonderin’ what ya wanna do, not that there is much to do around here, I was thinkin’ we could watch a movie or go fer a walk or somethin‘, it’s up to you…” his voice trails off, and I swear his cheeks turn slightly pink for a second when he realises he’s rambling.
I smile “A walk sounds nice, let me get my coat.”

***

I journey was silent, a strange mix of the nice kinda silence and the awkward kind. After walking deep though towering pine trees we come to a lake. I sit down on a fallen tree next to the waters edge and watch as the cold sunshine dances and shimmers on the water. Logan sits down next to me, his arm touching mine making the dying butterflies in my stomach suddenly spring back to life.
“So, what do you think?” he eventually asks, breaking the silence.
“It’s beautiful.” I reply quickly looking at him then back to the lake.
“Sure is darlin’, but it ain’t what I meant.” he says smirking and giving me the eyebrow. “Sarah.”
I hope his sensitive ears can‘t hear the sound of my heart sinking.
“Oh…” Shit, what should I say? “She seems alright.” I shrug trying my best to act casual.
He grunts and nods slightly as he lights his cigar. it’s the first one I’ve seen him smoke since being here. Sarah rolled her eyes every time he so much as reached into his pocket for one yesterday. The smell doesn’t bother me, in fact, I quite like it and it’s not like Logan’s gonna get ill from it like any other person would. He’s not like any other person I’ve ever met…

Butterflies again.

“Only alright?” he asks as he exhales the thick smoke.
“She’s nice…” Too nice.
“But..?”
I shake my head, not sure what he wants me to say.
He takes another drag from his cigar and sighs “Come on, be honest” he says, rolling his head to face me.
I shrug. “Nothin’. She seems really nice, I’m happy for you.” I say, forcing the best smile I can fake onto my face.
“Me too, kid.” he sighs.

***

“Darlin’ I listen…I’m sorry, but I need some time with alone with Marie…I know, I know…C’mon you said yourself…No…No…Okay see ya t‘morrow.”
I hang up before she has the chance to say anythin’ else, she doesn’t seem too happy about it, but that’s just too bad. Marie comes first, no matter what.

So it’s settled. Me an’ Marie, just the two of us. I don’t have anythin’ planned. Maybe go grab somethin’ to eat, go for a drink, or stay in an’ watch a movie, or just talk. It’s up to her. We need some quality time together. The last thing I need is a girlfriend I didn’t even ask for hangin’ around, gettin’ in the way.

Just as I slide my cell phone (that Sarah gave me because I didn‘t have one o’ my own) back into my pocket, Marie emerges from her room. Her hair a little messy, eyes still lookin’ half asleep from her nap, damn she looks beautiful. Then I realise I’m staring. Shit. “Hey” I say casually as I quickly brush my hand through my hair “Sarah’s stayin’ at her sisters place tonight so I was wonderin’ what you wanna do, your choice.” I smile to her then take another swig o’ my beer.

She bites her lip as she shrugs, smiles gently. I can tell that she’s relieved Sarah ain’t gonna be joinin’ us tonight, probably too much for her meetin’ someone new when she ain’t feelin’ too good anyways. She nods an’ her smile widens “I’m sure I can think of something.”
Chapter End Notes:
Don't forget to rate and comment