Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm so so SO sorry this has taken so long! I had friends come to stay, visited family and ended up getting snowed in, then Christmas, and now I'm ill with flu thanks to my lovely boyfriend (that was one thing for Christmas I didn't want!)
Anyway, here it is!
***

I try to phone Logan but there’s no answer so I take a shower and get myself dressed ready to go and meet him. I don’t know what he is planning so I decide to wear a jade green dress top with black leggings, ‘casual smart’. I thought of ways to break the news to him but all of them seemed useless, so I decided to go with the best idea I could think of.

I pull my long black coat on and grab the small package wrapped in red paper and put it in my pocket and head downstairs. The corridors are empty, most of the students are in the rec room watching tv and playing pool so I hurry past not wanting to be stopped by anyone. I’m already late.

I step outside into the cool night air and make my way over to the fountain, the lights from inside the mansion are the only thing helping me see the way. Logan is sitting there waiting for me, elbows resting on his knees as he holds his head in his hands.

He looks up and grins at me relieved “I was starting to think you weren’t gonna turn up.”

“Sorry, lost track of time.” I smile nervously, hands in my pockets.

He stands up still smiling, steps closer to me but he doesn’t touch me. I want him to wrap his arms around me, hold me close, but he doesn’t. He stands there shifting his weight from one foot to the other just looking at me, making me nervous.

“There’s er…there’s something I need to ask you..”

Before I can speak, hundreds of little fairy lights shoot on making the courtyard lights up. The little lights twine around the trees, potted plants and all around the fountain making the water sparkle and shimmer. Logan pulls his hand and out of his pocket as he sinks down to the ground. My heart feels like it’s skipping beats as a million butterflies violently spring to life in my stomach.

“I may not know much about my life, but I do know I want you in it. Marie…will you marry me?” he asks opening the box to reveal a delicate platinum ring with a beautiful shining diamond sitting on the top. I look from the ring back to him waiting to wake up any second, but this isn’t a dream. I want to say yes, but I can’t. I can’t until I tell him.

I stare down at him, my bottom lip beginning to shake.

“Marie?”

I smile and nod, unable to speak. He sighs and smiles quickly standing up ready to put his arms around me.

“There’s something I need to tell you first.” I say quickly, tears beginning to roll down my cheeks.

He looks at me baffled as I pull the thin package out of my pocket with a gloved hand and give it to him. He looks down at it frowning a little as he pulls the paper off the plastic stick. He looks up at me the drops his eyes back to it and studies it carefully for a few seconds before his eye snap back up to mine.
“You’re pregnant?” his voice a few octaves higher than usual, I would of laughed if I wasn’t so worried and upset. I glances from me, to the pregnancy test and back to me. A nervous smile spreads across his face and turns into a beaming grin as he throws his arms around me pulling me into a tight embrace. “How?” he asks happy but confused. We both thought it took careful, precise planning for two mutants to be able to conceive a child.

I shrug “Guess we‘re just lucky.” I smile weakly, knowing that I’m now going to have to tell him the bad news, break his happiness.

“What’s wrong?” he asks concerned as he pulls away from me slightly, his hands resting gently on my hips. He knows I have something else I need to say but I don’t know how to.

I pull my gloved hands out of my pockets and take hold of his hands. “My mutation is coming back.” I whisper through my tears.

He looks at me in disbelief. His happiness crushed. “Wh…How?”

“I felt it a couple of times before just for a second, but then it went, I just thought it nothing to worry about, just a side affect. And I’ve been really ill lately…I passed out today and, and Hank told me it he thinks the cure will start to wear off…”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” he sounds a little annoyed, but I know he’s only worried. I shrug. I don’t know why I didn’t, I guess I was just ignoring it, hoping it would disappear. “Marie..” he whispers, closing his eyes as he plants a gentle kiss on my forehead

“I understand if you don’t want to-”

“Marie,” he interrupts me, “don’t you remember what I said at the cabin? I said that mutation or not, I love you. And I meant what I said.”

I smile, whoever thought Wolverine could be so romantic?

“So,“ he smiles back opening the small box in his hand revealing the ring again “will you be my wife?”

“Yes.”

***

“You know I was gonna ask ya on new years eve, but well…that didn’t happen.”

“Is that why Scott was being so nice to you?”

He shrugs “Dunno. I think Jean might of said something to him.”

“Jean knew?”

“Yeah and ‘Ro, Chuck…I needed help plannin’ everythin’.”

She smiles as she lays next to me. It took her a while to have the courage to take her gloves off, which were followed by the rest of her clothes. I told her not to worry about her skin, told her to relax and not think about it. I trust her. And what would be the point in wasting what little precious time we have left? I felt her skin begin to do that weird thing it always used to do, like a tiny electric shock drawing me in. It only lasted a matter of seconds and was a lot weaker than usual, by the time I realised it was happening it had already stopped but still it frightened and upset her. She pulled herself away from me, her eyes wide, hands shaking but I pulled her close again, didn’t let go when she told me she thought she was going to hurt me. I wanted to show her I’m not scared of her mutation.

“I love you.” I whisper and plant a soft kiss on her forehead. I place my hand gently on her stomach and smile at her. I knew there was something different about her in the past few weeks, but I didn’t know what. I thought I would’ve been able to tell but guess when you’re with someone all the time you don’t really notice them changing. From the moment she told me I suddenly realised.
I can’t believe I’m going to be a father, that she is going to be my wife…and soon I won’t be able to touch her skin like this again. But it’s going to be alright, there are plenty of ways around it, all it takes is some imagination. I don’t mind if I can’t touch her, as long as I have her nothing matters, I loved her before I could touch her anyway.

“What are you thinking about?” she asks softly.

“Nothin’,” I smile.

“Tell me.” she says, raising her eyebrows an’ tilting her head.

“I’m just happy that’s all. You’re gonna be my wife and we have a kid on the way. I don’t think I could ask for much more”

“You’re not scared, you know, being a daddy?”

“’Course I’m scared Darlin’, wouldn’t be normal if I weren’t but we’ll be fine. Me you and our little one”