It was vibrating against the table next to the bed, and that ring, I hate that ring, it's never about anything good.

"Logan, she left. She didn't say anything about where she was going…"

"Who left… what is this about? This better be good," I could have enjoyed another hour of sleeping, so yes I have a right to sound pissed off.

"Rogue…" Ro almost held her breathe for a second, I could hear the hesitation. "Jubilee said something about a fight, about Bobby breaking up with her a few weeks ago. I thought you should know. I thought maybe since you two used to talk a lot that you'd be the one she might run to."

That prick Iceman. God, I could run my claws through him right now.

"Does he know what she did for him, does he have any clue…?" I had to stop myself from saying what I wanted to. Ro doesn't waste time with bull shit, I know I can shovel it in heaps when I'm pissed. "Give her a few days, she probably need to get away from Icehole for a while. I'll head towards your way, I'll be back in a few days. "

I cut her off before I could here anymore, I don't do soap operas. I knew Bobby and her wouldn't last forever, they were kids. Forever doesn't start with the guy you date at 17, or it shouldn't. But if they broke up, I know she hurts. It's like the wolverine to run, hide and lick their wounds. I gave her that, I will never allow myself to forgive giving it to her. She knows how to handle herself, she made it 2000 miles her own the first time. I trust her.

Summer's nearly over and I know a new batch of kids will be coming into the school. Nothing has changed for those kids going to that school, and really, Ro is to thank for that. She's so dedicated, absolutely unwavering in her support for the entire school. After the way the professor died, and losing Jean and Scott, she's been the rock those kids needed, even though I know she's still grieving herself. So, the last thing she needs is any grief from me, or from Rogue for that matter.

I hit the border near the Adirondack- bridge crossings only lead to questions-and stopped at a bar for a drink. Four hours and I'll be home. I timed it right to pull in at night. I don't want a big welcoming committee when I arrive. Actually I don't want anyone else to know I coming so I can slit that frickin' snow prick's throat in his sleep. I wanted to but I know I can't. He has earned his way up to where Scott used to sit on the team, they can't lose the leader again, not now. But I can guarantee you one thing. In the Danger Room, his ass is mine.

This time the phone went off in my pocket, mid swig off a fresh one. I almost choked. Twice in one week. This better be worth something.

"Um…uhh"

"What the fuck is it this time? Is a kitten stuck in a tree? " I yell for shock value. They know I hate being tethered so actually having to answer ithe stupid to no purpose... I would split it in half if I weren't in public.

"No… It's Jubes. Rogue isn't back yet, I think, well I don't know what to think. The last month she's been really quiet,, you know, like alone quiet, and I don't know what was going through her head. She wouldn't even talk to me. We used to talk about everything, but we haven't done that since I can't remember when. Then we got in a fight about, well, I can't even remember, then she packed everything and left. Well, not exactly everything, but enough to go away for a while. This is not like her, and I'm getting worried she'll do something stupid."

She's been crying the whole time and by now she's almost breathless.

"Alright, calm down, take a second and breathe…. Now what's going on? Rogue went where?" Did I catch all that? Can she say more in only one breath?

"She's still not here, she hasn't even called me or the house, Kitty and were going shopping, I thought she was coming with us, but she still hasn't come back."

"Look, I'm not far away. Just sit tight for a bit more. Look through her room, see if she left anything, a note, anything…. Tell Storm I'm not far out"

I threw a bill at the bar, filled the tank and did the rest of the ride like a bat out of hell. When I pulled in, Ro met me in the garage, the look on her face unreadable. An adrenalin rush clung to her; something good must have happened. Marie must be home. But then I noticed there was anxiety mixed with her joy. The news wasn't all good. Something was still wrong, the kind of something she only discussed in meeting rooms. She never showed how bad a situation could be in front of the kids. Behind closed doors, she hides the reality of how much most of the world hated everything about what we have become. I figured I wasn't gonna like what came next.

"Logan, its good to see you. I'm sorry I pulled you away." A hug, her tiny frame, arms around my shoulders. It's the first human contact I've had in months. We don't think of each other like that. She has the Beast, and I don't want to take a hit from him. Office job or no office job, he is what his name says he is.

"Lets go into the office. We have a lot to discuss." She turned quickly, and begins to head away before I can even get a thought together. Its dark and the mansion is quiet. Only the essential lights are on. It's before the rush of the herd, so everything smells like disinfectant and wood polish. I almost forget what that smelled like.

We made it to the professor's old office, which was hers now, I guess. It was orderly, but the top of the desk had stacks of papers on it, piled neatly away from the center which was completely clean. The professor would never have let anyone see those stacks, but this Ororo, not Chuck, so I said nothing.

She sat on the couch first, not behind the desk, so I sat next to her. We're talking like X-men, like the friends that we have become over the last seven years.

"I got a call from Dr. MacTaggart. She and the professor have known each other for years. Logan, she told me he has returned."

"Who? Magento? Did he show up somewhere. Could I finish what I started with him?"

She paused, made sure I was listening, "He is with her in Scotland!'

What? I saw him being torn apart-shredded skin, then muscle, exposed bone. I could do nothing but watch, like it was myself being stripped to the core and then disappearing to oblivion.

"You were there with me when it happened. A person doesn't become dust and then just reappear 1,200 miles away. Is this a fucking joke?" I knew it wasn't, but I couldn't wrap my head around who-or what-was in Scotland.

"Let me tell it the way I was told. Charles had a brother, catatonic for most of his life. Moira was taking care of him. One morning, he woke up and spoke to her, but it was Charles speaking, not his brother. She said he had transferred himself telepathically to his brother's body. There are so many details; I can't even explain it right. He will be able to come back in a few weeks, but Moira doesn't want to push him into coming back too soon. I already called Hank. He can't wait to come back and see him with his own two eyes!" Her eyes brightened a bit when she told me about the professor. Relaxation and ease wafted off of her.

"But what does this have to do with Rogue?" I hope I didn't rush the great news about the Professor, but I came back to see Marie, I rushed back to find her. If she is out there, I'm going to find her.

"Jubes is pretty upset. Rogue has been reclusive, quiet. The last month, she's wanted to be alone, on the grounds, in her room, alone. I tried to talk to her a few times, but she just smiled and said she was fine. She blamed her course load for college or a long training session. She never really ever said when her powers came back. She just went back to protecting herself. We never really talked about it, I'm sorry I didn't ask her more." She looked away, almost ashamed, away from my tracking eyes.

"You let her slip through the cracks. Shit, You knew what it meant to her. You were ready to tar and feather her for thinking the cure was a great idea. It was her freedom. You don't know what it's like to not have it."

"Logan, please! We don't know—"

"That's right, We don't know. She's out there like she was when she was 16. She's running because that is the only thing she feels safe to do." It's what I taught her to do. Rage was building. I had to contain it. The claws were itching to come out, slice though anything that was hurting Marie.

"I didn't think it was about Bobby. They haven't been a couple for quite a long while; I can't help blame myself, I should have tried harder… " The change in her voice couldn't hide the concern she truly held for Rogue. They may have their differences, but the mansion was Marie's home, and Storm would fight anything that came to destroy that. "I suggest you sleep for the night, and start in the morning. I'll see if Jubilee found anything in Rogue's personal items that may be of use."

I had to hold me breath for a little while to try to calm down and focus what could be done. Before, I would have gotten back on my bike and took off running, but strategy has its benefits, I need to focus most on that now. The professor is alive. I should have been happy, but my mind wouldn't let me be happy-or anything else-until she was home.