Author's Chapter Notes:
And here it is, another chapter. This was originally going to be the last chapter, but there was something i had to do before i wrapped this baby up, and i hope you enjoy it. As always, thanks for their reviews go to melancholy rogue, Lorelei (as far as i know that quote is mine- just seemed fitting, you know?) wendy (was really touched by your review, so glad you liked the whole thing, because i think even if he won't admit it Logan would need to hear Marie say how she felt), sahara (of course you can out-source smutty writing to me, lol. and hearing from an appreciative reader like yourself makes it worthwhile) oracle13 and litlen (i get what you mean. mainly because i had to wrestle with "manly romance," the entire time i was writing this...) And now, without further ado, let's get on with the story...

Disclaimer: This fan fiction is not written for profit and no infringement of copyright is intended. Unbeta-ed, so all mistakes are mine.

JITTERS

CHAPTER FIFTEEN: BIG, BAD, HANDSOME MAN

“They grow up so fast.”

And Jubes grinned at Logan and Marie, who were staring deeply into one another’s eyes, not even talking. The fact that the wedding ceremony was due to begin in about fifteen minutes- Remy had donated the restaurant part of the bar for the gig- apparently making no impact on them at all. To her right she could see the Justice of the Peace grinning cheerfully, possibly wondering whether she was gonna get some repeat business. The fact that the couple in question might as well have been on the moon considering how much attention they were paying her not deterring her in the least. Jubes looked over to see Kitty give her sensei and her friend an Aaw! look, Pete and Yuki grinning indulgently. The remaining Logan’s Angels exchanged thumbs ups, practically bouncing with happiness-

Because this was possibly the best wedding present Kitty could have gotten, and Jubes knew that.

And because they were gonna have an absolute field day teasing the pair about all this just as soon as they got back to New York.

Jubes caught a whiff of cologne and tobacco then, the slightly sweet scent which always gave Remy away. He’d ghosted into place beside her, an unlit cigarette between his lips, the look he was throwing the newly-clued-in honeys unreadable. Not for the first time Jubes felt a twinge of something which she told herself was definitely not disappointment as she watched him watch Marie. After all, wasn’t the first time a gorgeous guy she really wouldn’t mind knowing better- let alone doing naughty things with- was hung up on her best friend. Inwardly she sighed: It was like Pyotr Rasputin and Bobby Drake all over again-

A long, slightly uncomfortable beat.

“Your plan worked out, hein?” he said then. Nodding to the happy pair, pulling the cigarette out of his mouth. He stared at the tip for a second and it suddenly lit up, the trick making him grin. But there was an undercurrent of nervousness to the gesture, and whatever Jubes might have wanted to believe she was far too smart to ignore it.

“Yeah, well, I think they were goners for each other the moment they met,” she drawled instead. Because when in doubt, start speaking your native Smart Ass. “First time she saw him he was half nekkid and fighting in a cage. Don’t think anyone else stood a chance after that kinda entrance.”

Remy smirked. “Not even a charmer like mahself?”

“Nope, sorry dude.”

“That’s what Ah thought.” To her surprise his smile grew wider. “But Ah’m happy for the pair o’ them. Been watching Logan beat himself up over someone every time he came t’visit: Nice to know he’ll stick with assaulting sundry assholes from here on in-”

Jubes shot him an epically cynical look. “You really think this’ll make him less aggressive?”

“No, Ah think being able to have hot monkey sex with the girl he’s nuts about’ll do that.” He waggled his eyebrows at her. “Why the Hell you think he’s been so surly all these years anyway?”

“He’s Canadian,” she dead-panned. “They’re born that way.”

“Says the girl from New York.” Gambit shook his head in amusement at her protests. “He been pining, chere, is what it is,” he said. “That’s what happens when you finally get your head outta your ass and realise the person you want to right in front o’ you-”

And suddenly he looked away, clearing his throat. Eyes going back to Rogue.

Oh yeah, Jubes thought sadly. Baby boy’s got it bad.

But I ain’t kissing it better.

Another long beat.

“So, uh, you wanna do something after the service?” Remy asked somewhat scratchily. He was still staring real hard at Marie and Logan, and Jubes fought the urge to thump him.

“No,” she said politely. “I have to head back to New York.”

“So you’re not sticking around?”

“And watch the double honeymoon? No thanks.” She told herself she didn’t sound pissed though of course she knew she did. He opened his mouth to say something and she spoke over him. Best get this over with. “Look, Remy, I’m glad that they’re together, and I’m sorry that you’re disappointed about Rogue, but please do me a favour and find some local girl to mend your broken heart with, okay?” She tried to make herself smirk but knew she couldn’t: Watching her entire family cosy up with Cupid wasn’t helping her sense of Zen and she really didn’t wanna think about why. “I get how I come off, and I get that you think I’ll be fine for a night’s distraction, but I’m so not interested-”

“You no want me?”

He was pouting and she fought the urge to thump him again.

“It’s not about whether I want you or not,” she growled, “it’s about the fact that I’m not a band-aid just cos Roguey’s with the Wolvster-”

His expression cleared. “Is that what you think? You think Ah want a distraction?”

“I think you thrive on distraction-”

His grin was wolfish. “And Ah think you think too much.”

And without warning he grabbed her and pulled her through the door to his right, grinning. Picking her up and throwing her over his shoulder when she protested, smacking her ass playfully when she started to swear- Though tellingly, it didn’t even occur to her to bring out the paffs. The Cajun hauled her down a corridor, past ladders and pots of paint (they were extending this part of the club) and into a tiny store-room. Kicking the door shut with one foot and then pressing her against the wall. It was dark in the room, only a dusty old bulb to illuminate everything and suddenly, for no reason she cared to fathom, Jubes couldn’t breath properly.

Remy pulled out a single card from his pocket- the Ace of Hearts- and lit it.

It burned moodily on the dull light.

“You wanna know why Ah let Logan beat me up?” he murmured huskily then. He was running his free hand delicately against her throat, making her quiver-

Not that Jubilation Lee ever did something as Goddamn girly as that.

“You said you felt responsible,” she muttered, tongue feeling thick in her mouth all of a sudden. “You said you wanted to make it right-”

“And Ah did. But Ah also wanted to make sure you no think badly o’ me, chere.” He looked into her eyes, real straight and serious. Suddenly Jubes’ knees clear forgot how to work. “Ah didn’t want you thinking Ah was a no good asshole-”

“I never thought that-”

“You must if you think Ah’d chase a woman as fine as you just cuz Ah’m disappointed about losing another.” And before she could retort he reached down and kissed her, his mouth wet and soft and just hot enough to turn her limbs to jelly. That full lower lip so invitingly there that Jubes had to suck it between her teeth and bite, making him moan a little into her mouth. “You listen to me, chere,” Remy was muttering between kisses, “And you listen good. You have the chance-” kiss- “to spend time with a fucking awesome woman-” kiss, kiss- “who you think is gorgeous and who clearly digs you-” kiss, kiss, kiss- “you take it, yeah?” A full-on, Scarlett-O’Hara-being-dipped super-smooch complete with tongue action. Nice. “Unless, of course, you’re a blind, hairy Canadian midget with anger control issues…” kiss, kiss, kiss- “But let’s not talk about him.”

And with that the talking portion of the afternoon finished.

And the making the walls rock portion commenced…

Although unfortunately, they didn’t quite realise how literal that was. Yet.