Neither of them really knew what to do with something so small. While they were in the hospital, the nurses did everything. Logan stood over them, watching over their shoulders with great curiosity while Marie was still confined to her hospital bed.

When they got home, the stress of having a newborn took its toll on both of them. The lack of sleep and strain of an infant who couldn't properly vocalize her problems was particularly exhausting to Logan. Especially since he was a guy who believed if you have an issue, come out and say it, if not, shut up.

Too bad Anna didn't understand that mantra.

He couldn't win through intimidation with this kid...he had to learn how to respond to her properly and quickly. For a while, Marie struggled with the baby blues. When Anna was eight weeks old, he found Marie hiding in the closet crying, covered in spit up while Anna laid crying in her crib. In retrospect, he should have known it was only a matter of time before she cracked. She seemed terrified to let the baby leave her sight, so she didn't, but at the same time, she seemed overwhelmed by the demanding infant.

Marie looked up at him and choked back a sob, "I tried everything...I just...she just won't stop crying!"

Logan went to Anna's crib and picked her up, "Hey kiddo..."

He knew he was going to regret what he was about to say, but the look on Marie's face made it not matter anymore, "Look Marie...you need some time away. Why don't you go out with Jubes?"

Marie slowly ventured out of the closet and wiped her face with the back of her sleeve, "I'm a terrible mother...I shouldn't have to hide from my own baby."

He found Anna's pacifier and put it in her mouth, holding it there because she had a stubborn tendency to spit it out. Logan turned back to a bleary eyed Marie and frowned, "Hank did say she was colicky...it's only natural that you're going a little crazy bein' cooped up in the room with her day and night with all the screaming she does. You need some time away...so go ahead. Just get away."

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" she asked, more referring to leaving him all alone with the baby than anything else.

Logan rolled his eyes and groaned, "She is MY daughter Marie. You need this. You haven't been yourself since she was born...tell you what, I'll ask Jubilee to plan the day for you. Just make sure you leave enough breast milk for her, and just go. If I need help, I'll ask Storm or Hank."

Rogue bit her lip, "Sugah...are you abso-"

"Dammit Marie, you better go before I change my mind."

She raised a hand and nodded as she began rushing around the room, "Ok. Ok."

An hour later, Jubilee stood in the doorway as Logan sat on the bed feeding their daughter a bottle. Marie kissed the baby's head repeatedly, then kissed Logan and looked him in the eyes, "Thank you so much."

He smiled and kissed her, "Get outta here."

She did. As quickly as possible. She called thirty minutes later though...and another thirty minutes after that...and another thirty minutes after that. During the last call, he got frustrated, "If you call in another half hour, I'm just not gonna answer."

Marie sounded breezier and more carefree than she had in the past two months. She sounded like herself, "Ok! I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I just wanted to make sure you knew where her back up binky was."

Logan raised an eyebrow at the baby in his arms, "Marie...I told you I'll never call it a binky...it's a fuckin' pacifier."

"Fine...did she make poopie yet?"

Logan groaned, "I'm hanging up now."

After that, Jubilee took Marie's phone and threatened to set her hair on fire if she called home again. Jubilee took her to get a manicure, a pedicure, a much needed hair cut, to the mall and then to eat.

Although Anna was still on her mind by the end of the day, she felt more relaxed and happy than she had been in a long time.

When she walked into their room, she found Logan sitting in the arm chair asleep with Anna sleeping on his chest. The place was a mess, littered with burp cloths, diapers and empty bottles, but she didn't care. They'd survived a day alone without mommy.

She smiled and attempted to pick Anna up from her father's chest, but Logan's hand protectively clutched her to him as his eyes blinked open, "Hmmm...when did you get back?"

She smiled and whispered, "Just a couple of minutes ago...I'll take her...lay down in bed."

He moaned something inaudible as he allowed her to pick up Anna, then fell into bed.
-------------------
As Marie was learning how to take time for herself without feeling guilty, Logan was learning how to give of himself without appearing weak. Logan had almost lost both of them, and he wasn't about to take them for granted for the sake of looking tough.

It helped Logan to know that Marie had a hard time adjusting to parenthood. It was kind of his reminder that he didn't have to be the perfect father because she wasn't either. They both just did their best and tried their hardest.

By the time Anna was two, it was clear that the toddler had the Wolverine wrapped around her pinky finger. She was a bit of a trouble maker around the mansion, but no one ever said a thing to her, for fear that her father would take their head off for making his baby girl frown.

Marie often chided him for spoiling her so rotten, but he often ignored her and told her to "quit bitchin'". Logan didn't want to admit that he was often too quick to give into Anna's ever whim.

She would run up to him in the hallway of the mansion and jump up and down in front of him with her hands stretched up, "Daadee wiiide! Daadee wiiide!" That was her way of requesting a piggy back ride from him. He always obliged, scooping her up in one hand and flinging her onto his back.

She was a gorgeous little girl. A spitting image of Marie save for Logan's deep, wild eyes. They shared the same adventurous, rugged spirit, which is probably why he liked her so much...of course he loved her, but he wondered if every parent actually liked their kids.

To Marie's dismay, he encouraged his daughter's sense of rough adventure. She often climbed him like he was her own personal jungle gym and she loved it when he tossed her high into the air. Every time Marie saw her daughter fly a good five feet upwards, squealing and laughing in delight, her heart hitched in her throat, but Anna always landed safely in her father's arms.