3. No More Secrets



The rest o’ the day passes quietly enough. Marie an’ me both have grass stains in interestin’ places, so we take a shower – in our own rooms, o’ course. No point in riling the Prof any more than necessary. He’s bound to hear o’ our little tryst sooner or later, but it’d be nice to have a few days o’ privacy, at least. Can’t keep anythin’ secret around here for long, especially if that mouthy friend o’ Marie’s gets to hear of it. What’s her name now? Oh, yeah. Jubilee.

I have a self defence class with the older students in the Danger Room at nine sharp. Usually, workin’ with the kids sets me all on edge, an’ I haveta meditate for an hour or so afterwards, jus’ to relax an’ restore my balance. This session, however, I programme a simulation an’ spend an enjoyable couple o’ hours stalkin’ ‘em through the Amazon rainforest. It’s a programme intended to hone their survival instincts an’ it does wonders for my own self esteem, but somehow I don’t think the students appreciate it much. Shadowcat looks traumatised – I was hidin’ in the leaf mould beneath the half eaten carcass of a tiger when I took her out. I honestly don’t have much sympathy – the clue couldn’t have been more obvious. Tigers don’t live in the Amazon.

An’ Armor? Well, let’s just say it’ll be a long time before she feels safe enough to take a dip in our swimmin’ pool again. Those Amazonian rivers can be real deep sometimes ….

I can almost taste the relief in the air when I dismiss the class an’ send ‘em for showers. Shit, I hope the Prof doesn’t get wind o’ this an’ haul me over the coals for terrorisin’ his trainees. But what the hell does he think is gonna happen to ‘em out in the real world? Sabretooth sure as hell ain’t gonna teach ‘em how to knit.

Marie assists ‘Ro with her classes now an’ usually supervises the library durin’ the lunch break, so I know I ain’t likely to see Marie again till evenin’. I’ve got time to spare, so I hop on the bike an’ take a trip into town, amusin’ myself for a time in one o’ the autoshops in the mall. I buy some sparkplugs for the jeep an’ then mosey along to Harry’s where I manage to waste at least three hours in blissful contemplation o’ beer.

I head home when my stomach begins to rumble in protest of the liquid diet, parkin’ the bike next to my open-top jeep in the garage as my mouth waters at the delicious aromas already driftin’ through from the dinin’ room. I drop the sparkplugs off in my room, change my shirt for appearances sake, an’ make my way to the informal dinin’ room.

The moment I enter, I know something’s been said. The general hub-hub lessens an’ eyes slide in my direction. Dammit, I hate bein’ the center o’ attention. With the hackles risin’ on the back o’ my neck, I help myself to a generous helpin’ o’ steak, fries an’ veggies – more meat than veg, naturally. I am a predator when all’s said an’ done – an’ head to my usual table at the far end o’ the room, sittin’ with my back to the wall so I can survey the room an’ all exits. So I’m a cautious guy, even among friends. A life time spent with various folks tryin’ to kill ya, tends to make ya nervous that way.

There’s no sign o’ Marie yet, so I attack my steak, tryin’ to ignore the glances bein’ sent in my direction. An’ then the whisperin’ starts …….

“He’s alone. Are you sure they’re an item?”

“They say they did it in the woods. Out near the boathouse.”

Oh, yeah. Three times, no less. I smirk at that.

“It was a full moon last night. D’ya think his canines get longer on a full moon?”

Idiot.

“Who’d a’ thought it? The bad-ass Wolverine, tamed – by a girl.”

Who said that?
When I find out who said that, they’re gonna be real sorry come their next defence lesson. Nobody tames the Wolverine. Leastways, not so’s I’d admit it, anyway.

An’ then Marie enters. An’ the room goes real quiet again, as all eyes swivel in her direction.

‘Ro, Scooter an’ Jeannie come in behind her, lookin’ around in obvious bewilderment at the uncharacteristically silent dinin’ room, but Marie pretends nothin’ is amiss an’ helps herself to a lady-like plate o’ steak an’ fries, makin’ small talk with Jeannie as she moves in beside her. A growl rumbles in my chest as I take in the way she moves, the casual way she flicks a lock of dark hair over her shoulder an’ I lower my head, takin’ an intense interest in my steak.

There’s a collective gasp from the room in general as she heads towards my table. I look up, watchin’ her progress as she sways towards me.

“Hey, sugah,” she greets me as she draws level with my table. “Can ah sit here?”

“Sure.” My voice is rough an’ I cough an’ try again. “Sure.” Better. “Pull up a chair.”

There’s an empty seat opposite, but she pulls out the one beside me an’ sits down. Every student in the place is watchin’ us now – little Rahne Sinclair’s mouth is actually hanging open. No one has ever dared to sit next to the Wolverine before – it’s somethin’ of a taboo. Not to mention, a safety issue. If he gets wind of a scent he don’t like, he’s likely to go crazy an’ spear ya with his claws. I snort. As if!

Jean an’ ‘Ro are eyeing us strangely now an’ even Scott – not exactly the brightest firework in the box – has begun to suspect that somethin’ is goin’ on. This has gone on long enough. I aim a feral snarl at the nearest table to ours an’ suddenly the mood is broken. Conversation miraculously breaks out again, an’ Jean an’ ‘Ro, satisfied that nothin’ is truly amiss, head for a table, draggin’ Scott in their wake.

“Logan, behave.” Marie giggles at me, then rolls her eyes as somethin’ flutters to the floor between us. “Oops, dropped my napkin. Excuse me.”

She pushes her chair back an’ disappears under the table. I take a forkful o’ steak – an’ spit it right back out with a barkin’ cough as a small hand wraps around the bulge in my pants an’ squeezes.

Marie reappears from under the table, wavin’ the napkin triumphantly. “Got it!” she cheers.

I fix her with my best intimidatin’ scowl. “The hell ya doin’, Marie? Ya tryin’ ta get us both killed?”

“Lighten up, sugah!” She spears a fry an’ takes a delicate bite. “Ah missed you today.”

I’ve missed her, too, but I try not to let it show as I concentrate on my meal. Several of the students are watchin’ us again an’ I resist the urge to bend her over the table an’ devour her lips with mine, just to give ‘em a show.

Instead, I glance sideways at Marie, a feral grin tuggin’ at my mouth. “Maybe I could stop by yer room later. Ya could show me how much ya’ve missed me.”

Marie doesn’t answer, but the hand restin’ on my thigh under the table is hot with promise.


oooOOOooo




True to my word, I wait until the mansion falls quiet that night, before leavin’ my room an’ slippin’ along the hallway to Marie’s room. She’s waitin’ for me, wearin’ another tiny little nightie, which quickly becomes nothin’ at all as I strip it from her. Her tiny hands fiddlin’ with the huge buckle on my jeans quickly inflames my desire an’ I am fully erect by the time she unzips my fly. I kick my jeans across the room an’ lower Marie to the softness of the bed, where we set about reacquainting ourselves with the intimacies of each other’s bodies.

Considerin’ that Marie has spent the last three years avoidin’ bein’ touched, she’s certainly eager to make up for it now as she encourages me to explore every inch of her. I do so willingly, my hands and mouth bringin’ her to a peak which she is only too happy to throw herself from. Her soft sighs an’ moans stoke my own desire an’ when she takes my hardened cock in her hands, fingers gently massagin’ an’ caressin’ my length, my groans an’ heated pleas for more are added to hers.

By the time I enter her, I am crazy with desire, spreadin’ her legs wide so that I can take her deep. Our love-makin’ is slow, but filled with the passionate sounds of two people who can’t get enough of each other an’ our groans compete for supremacy as our bodies move together in a sensual dance. By the time I come, I am thrustin’ into her so hard that her teeth are clickin’ together, but her cries join mine as the sensation of my hot come squirtin’ into her beckons her own climax. Our bodies shudderin’ in unison, I clamp my teeth to her neck an’ fulfil my promise, givin’ her a matchin’ set o’ feral marks.

I never once lose control.

But there is growlin’.

A lot of growlin’.

An’, for some reason, that really seems to turn Marie on.

Afterwards, we lie together in a tangle of naked arms an’ legs an’ slowly drift off to sleep. For once, the nightmares stay away ……


oooOOOooo




It’s at breakfast the next mornin’ when the trouble really starts.

*Logan, I’d like to see you in my study immediately, please*

The Professor’s telepathic summons echoes in my head an’ I look at Marie over the top o’ my black coffee. She immediately senses what has happened an’ puts out a hand to pat my arm.

“It’ll be okay,” she whispers, consolingly.

I abandon my coffee an’ make my way along the hallway to Xavier’s study, all the while feelin’ the spectre o’ the condemned hangin’ over me. I have a hunch this confrontation is goin’ to turn nasty, but I will not be bullied. Marie an’ me have done nothin’ wrong an’ we have nothin’ to be ashamed of. We love each other. What could be shaming in that?

By the time I reach the study door, I have pretty much used up all my self control an’ my temper is simmerin’ just under the surface. It won’t take much to set it off. I open the door without knockin’ an’ stride through, straight away noticin’ that Jean an’ Scott are already present. They are sittin’ in the room’s only two chairs, forcin’ me to stand before Xavier’s desk like a naughty schoolboy called before the headmaster.

I glower at the Professor, wishin’ I had a cigar so that I could bite on it.

The Professor regards me solemnly over a steeple made of his fingers. “Logan, a certain matter has been brought to my attention which I would like you to clarify. Scott?”

Scooter leans forward in his seat, almost eagerly. Bastard. Always tryin’ to get me in the Prof’s bad books. “Kitty says she saw Rogue resting her hand on your thigh during dinner last night.”

I raise an eyebrow. “So?” I inquire with a snarl.

I don’t think this is the answer the Professor had been expectin’. He fixes me with a steady gaze. “Are you aware of what you are implying, Logan? Please consider carefully before you answer.”

“I don’t need ta consider, Chuck, the answer’s still the same.” I flash Scott a resentful glare.

“So it’s true? Rogue was …… ?” Scott puts two an’ two together an’ finally comes up with an answer that makes sense. “For heaven’s sake, Logan, what were you thinking of?”

“That’s none o’ yer business, Summers. Rogue’s a big girl now an’ if she wants ta put her hand on my leg I ain’t gonna stop her.”

“I can’t believe I’m hearing this!” Scott stands an’ starts pacin’ in front o’ the desk, comin’ within an arms length o’ me with each second turn. My hands itch with the urge to grab him by the neck an’ shove his interferin’ face into the wall. “Of all the irresponsible, bone-headed things you could have done ……”

I put up a hand to forestall the tirade. “Now, wait a minute, Summers. It wasn’t my hand doin’ the wanderin’. An’ even if it was it wouldn’ta made a jot o’ difference.”

“And what’s that supposed to mean?” Summers turns an’ fixes me with a ruby tinted glare.

“It means whatever ya want it ta mean,” I snap back. “You do the math.”

Jean’s eyes are flickin’ back an’ forth between me an’ Scott durin’ the exchange an’ she finally adds her two cent’s worth. “Logan, are …… are you …… involved …… with Rogue?”

Silence descends on Xavier’s study as all eyes fix me in their sights. For one fleetin’ moment I consider lyin’, but I can’t do that to Marie. It would be like admittin’ that what we’re doin’ is shameful an’ wrong. An’ so I square my shoulders an’ draw myself up to my full height as I send Jean a barely perceptible nod. “So what if I am?” I counter.

Did she read my mind? She’s certainly capable of it, but she looks as surprised as Chuck an’ Scooter by my admission. Her lips form into a serene smile an’ I sense her approval, right before Scooter’s hand drops onto my shoulder an’ he drags me around to face him.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing, Logan? You have no right to force yourself on Rogue, do you hear me?”

“Fuck you, Summers!” Not exactly eloquent, but that comment cut a little too close to the truth for comfort.

“Logan! I have stayed silent up until now, but I will not allow swearing in my study. Do you understand?”

I nod, sullenly, an’ Scott stalks away to lean against the back of his chair. In the followin’ silence, Jean stands and walks the few paces between us to take my hand.

“Logan, are you and Rogue …… intimate?”

I trust Jeannie an’ I’ve never been able to deny her anything. So I nod, unable to tear my gaze away from her intense green eyes. There was a time when I ached to have those eyes look back into mine as I moved inside her. But those days are gone. It’s Marie’s eyes I dream of now.

Scott’s fist connects sharply with the back of the chair. “Jean, how can you stand there and listen to this? He …… and Rogue ……” He throws his hands up in disgust.

“How long, Logan?” asks Xavier, softly. I think he knows the answer, but he needs me to say it.

“Since the night before last.”

Scott does the math an’ comes up with the obvious connection. “You bastard!” I notice Xavier doesn’t reprimand his favourite boy for swearin’. “That was you howling after you’d ……” He shakes his head in disgust. “You just couldn’t wait, could you? The girl barely has control of her powers and you …… You disgust me, Logan.”

My hackles rise. I’ve had enough o’ this. I surge forward, grabbing Summers around the neck an’ pushin’ him back into one o’ Xavier’s expensive book cases. He grabs my hand, tryin’ to pull it free, splutterin’ an’ chokin’ in my grasp as I lean in close, my teeth bared. I can feel the beast within howlin’ at the gates, achin’ to knock this arrogant bastard into the middle o’ next week, an’ I barely keep it under control. Some of its influence flares in my eyes as I allow my temper to rise.

“For your information, Rogue came ta me that night. Ta me! An’ I wasn’t howlin’ fer the reason you think I was. That came later, not that it’s any o’ yer damn business.”

“Logan.” I cut off with a grunt as Xavier’s voice, deep and authoritative yet strangely soft, interrupts my anger. I turn my head slightly to put him in my line of sight, still with the strugglin’ Summers boy in my grasp. “I would be very grateful if you would kindly release my X-Man and stand back. Rest assured that if you make one more violent move towards any of my people, I will sever all connections to your basic motor functions and have you carried out of here in a box. I can do it, you know,” he adds, conversationally, as I hesitate.

I turn back to Scott an’ give him one more snarl for good measure, just so he realises who he’s messin’ with, an’ then I release him. He falls into an untidy heap at my feet, clutchin’ at his throat an’ gaspin’ for air. Jean immediately swoops in an’ helps him to his feet an’ together they make it to a chair, where Summers collapses into it. Disgusted, I turn on the spot an’ stalk to the window, starin’ out at Storm’s rose garden, blackly.

“This has gone on long enough,” Xavier announces into the ensuing silence. “There is only one way to settle this.” He pauses an’, after a couple of seconds, there’s a timid knock at the door an’ I realise he’s summoned someone he’s had waitin’ in the hallway.

“Come in, Rogue,” he calls, an’ sure enough, my Marie enters the room, lookin’ around her fearfully. She probably overheard all the shoutin’ from the hallway. She immediately sees me glowerin’ outta the window an’ comes straight over to stand beside me, her little hand slippin’ into mine an’ givin’ it a squeeze.

The action is not lost on Xavier, who seems to nod in satisfaction. “Rogue, Logan tells me that you and he are now …… intimate.”

Well, thanks, Charlie. Cut ta the chase, why don’t ya?

Marie nods, hesitantly. She must have known this was comin’, yet she still seems ill-prepared for it. “Yes,” she whispers, softly, an’ her hand tightens on mine.

Xavier leans forward in his chair, restin’ his arms on the desk before him. “Rogue, I am going to ask you a question and it is imperative that you answer truthfully. Do you understand me?”

“Yes, Professor.” Her voice is calm now an’ I feel an immense surge o’ pride. You show ‘em, kid!

“Has Logan recently, or at any time in the past, tried to force himself on you, Rogue?” Xavier’s eyes flick to mine as he says this an’ I feel a moment’s discomfort. He knows ……..

Marie, however, is quick to answer. “No, Professor, he hasn’t.”

“Are you sure, child?”

“Professor, may ah speak?”

“Of course, Rogue. This isn’t a courtroom.”

Well, ya coulda fooled me.

“It’s no secret that ah had a crush on Logan when ah first came here, an’ that crush has grown into something stronger over the years. Ah love Logan an’ ah know he would never do anything to hurt me.”

Xavier glances at me, an’ I nod, slowly. “What happened between us is only natural, Chuck. Besides, she’s twenty-one now an’ I figure she’s old enough ta take a man if she wants one.”

Xavier smiles indulgently an’ Marie snuggles into my side with a giggle. “Ah’m twenty-two, Logan!”

“You are? Shit, when did that happen?”

“Logan, I will not tell you again. Swear once more in my presence and I will be forced to take action.”

“Jesus, Chuck, if I can’t say shit or fuck, what the hell can I say?”

Xavier shakes his head in despair an’ turns away, pinchin’ the bridge of his nose. I get the feelin’ he’s written me off as a bad job.

Havin’ got over his scare, Summers makes a valiant effort to regain the upper hand. “Professor, what do you intend to do about this? We simply can’t allow him to prey on every woman that catches his eye.”

Marie’s indignant “Hey!” almost drowns out my own retort. “Summers, so help me, I’ll ……”

Xavier holds up his hand for silence. “I am going to do nothing, Scott. They are both consenting adults and, as such, I have no right to interfere.” Damn right! I smile triumphantly at Marie, only to grunt as Xavier fixes me with an intense stare. “However, Logan, if I ever hear that you have mistreated Rogue in any way, or hurt her, then believe me, I will make you very sorry.”

“Ain’t no chance o’ that, Chuck.” Marie snuggles into my side, happily, an’ Xavier nods in satisfaction, lookin’ towards Scott who snorts an’ turns away, pointedly. No chance o’ retribution there, then. Jean, however, walks over an’ gathers Marie into a loose embrace, which my girl returns, hesitantly.

“I’m happy for you, Rogue, but I hope you know what you’re doing.” The redhead tosses me a smile to show there’s no insult meant an’ I show her my canines in return. Marie is grinnin’ like a loon.

“Ah got what ah wanted, Jean. An’ don’t worry about me. Ah can handle him.”

Oh, ya can, can ya? We’ll see about that.

Xavier wheels out from behind his desk, gathering us all up on his way to the door. “Much as I have enjoyed this little tete a tete, I have work to do and this school doesn’t run itself. So off with you. Scott, don’t forget that the jet is due for its 50,000 mile service some time this week.”

Tete a tete? What the hell? The man all but threatened to lobotomise me an’ he thinks we were just havin’ a cosy chat? Guess there’s a darker side to the Prof after all.

Summers takes off the moment the study door closes behind us. Obviously ain’t feelin’ chatty. Marie grins up at me, her eyes alight with the freedom bestowed on us by our mentor. “Ah gotta go, Logan! Storm’ll be wonderin’ where ah’ve got to. Ah’ll see you later, ‘kay?”

“Sure, kid.” I reach out to pull the strands of white hair through my fingers an’ she presses a kiss to my palm before scamperin’ off.

Jean watches her go. “She’ll be good for you, Logan,” she says, approvingly. “At least you won’t have to pant after me any longer.”

“Jeannie, I’ll always pant after you,” I respond, seriously. “But it’s Rogue I love.”

Her face is a picture as I stride away.
Chapter End Notes:
NEXT: Sometimes ya just gotta get away - an' the bike is so good for the sex drive!