20. In the Kingdom of the Blind .....



“On your feet, Wolverine, and up against the wall. Nice and slow now.”

I huff impatiently an’ roll over onto my stomach to face the guard who has appeared at the door to our cell, blinkin’ feigned sleep from my eyes. I heard him an’ his buddies approachin’ the moment they entered the hallway an’ was instantly on the alert, but I don’t want him to know that. Maybe if they think they’ve got the drop on us I can bust a few heads an’ make a break for freedom.

Yeah, an’ maybe I’ll grow wings an’ fly outta here …….

I force a yawn an’ pull back to my haunches, restin’ a hand casually on the edge o’ the cot. There’s nothin’ casual about it – it’s there to give me leverage should I need to launch myself forward. “What’s this all about, Jenson?” I growl.

Jenson’s eyes narrow, warningly. “I’m not here to answer your questions, Wolverine. Now move! You know the drill. Or do you want another dose o’ this?” He waggles his pulse rifle menacingly.

My eyes flick to the lethal weapon an’ I move back slightly. Can’t say as I like the idea o’ that. Five shots in less than four days have taught me that the rifles deal out one shitload o’ pain. O’ course, my fists an’ teeth can inflict their fair share o’ hurtin’ too. Guess that makes us even.

Jubilee snorts an’ awakens as Jenson opens the cell door, instantly takin’ in my coiled stance an’ realisin’ something’s going down. Her eyes search out mine an’ with the barest nod o’ my head, I indicate that she should stay back an’ keep out o’ this. She sits up, puttin’ her feet on the floor an’ yawnin’ widely. She looks harmless an’ sleepy, but I can sense she’s tensed an’ ready for action.

Her movement draws Jenson’s attention as he steps into the cell’s doorway an’ he waggles his rifle at her. “You too, missy. Up against the wall. Easy now.”

His eyes move back to me as I growl warningly, angered by the fact that he’s had the audacity to threaten the cub. The gun barrel instantly swings back to cover me as I rise to a crouch, an’ my eyes narrow as they focus on the finger tightenin’ on the trigger.

I tense to spring ……..

“The hell is going on here, Jenson?”

Frost steps into the cell, flanked by two more guards. Shit! My ‘handler’ rarely carries a rifle, but I ain’t gonna attack whilst he’s here. Sure he’s the enemy, but he’s not like the rest o’ the guards – there’s a manner to him that makes me hesitate to cause him harm. Call it animal instinct, if you will, but I ain’t about to ignore it.

Still maintainin’ the growl just to let him know I’m in no mood to be messed with, I watch as Frost places a hand on Jenson’s gun barrel an’ pushes it aside to point harmlessly at the wall. “I asked you a question, Jenson. What the hell were you trying to do?”

Jenson tosses me a glare before drawin’ himself up an’ facin’ the newcomer. “You ain’t my superior, Frost. I don’t have to answer to you.”

“I may not be your superior in the normal scheme of things, but where Wolverine is concerned, there’s God and then there’s me. Unless Roberts is present, which he’s not. Do you understand me, Jenson? Or do you want me to report to Roberts that you were trying to fry his weapon?”

Jenson’s face darkens. “No. I don’t.”

“Then I ask again; what were you trying to do?”

The guard seems reluctant to answer an’ there’s a stubborn set to his eyes as he faces the handler. “He’s an animal. He needs to know who’s boss.”

“And I suppose you decided to take matters into your own hands and teach him that lesson yourself?” Frost glances quickly at me an’ Jubilee – the cub has moved to my side an’ is restin’ a restrainin’ hand on my shoulder. My growl has reached such an intensity that I figure she can feel the vibrations of it along the length of her arm. “It won’t do, Jenson. I told you to wait just inside the cell and secure the exit – nothing more. Dammit, man, what if he’d jumped you?”

“I’ve got my rifle,” retorts Jenson, smugly.

“And a fat lot of good a rifle did Lewis when Wolverine took his ear off the other day.” Frost sighs, irritably. “I keep telling you all that there’s no need for this, but you won’t listen.” He’s addressin’ the other two guards now, as well as Jenson. “Wolverine has agreed to obey us, but he’s not gonna hold to that promise if you keep threatening to fry him.” He turns back to the red-faced Jenson. “Get out of my sight! You’re not welcome back on this squad until you can learn to control yourself. And you …….” he gestures impatiently to the other two guards “ ……. get in here and take his place. Jenson, give DaCosta the remote.”

For a moment, it looks as though Jenson is gonna disobey an’ just stalk off, but he finally slams a small metal device like a TV remote into the dark skinned guard’s hand. With a final backward glance o’ pure hatred so obviously directed at me, he leaves, his boots thuddin’ hollowly down the hallway.

Have I just made a new enemy? Seems that way.

But it’s okay. I can handle it.

Frost heaves a heavy sigh. “Right. Let’s get back on schedule. Kelly …….. DaCosta …….. ?

The two guards step forward an’ my growl goes up a notch, makin’ them edge back an’ look at Frost, uncertainly.

Jubilee shrugs at the handler’s questin’ glance. “I’m sorry. I think he’s a bit on edge. It makes him nervous when he’s threatened with death by electric shock – I’m sure you understand.”

The cub’s sarcasm isn’t lost on Frost. He shakes his head, apologetically. “We’re not here to hurt either of you, however irresponsibly Jenson acted,” he assures her, spreadin’ his arms peaceably. “I’ve managed to secure some down time for you both – you’ll be taken outside twice a week for some fresh air and exercise. Can you make him understand that?”

“I don’t know, he sounds pretty pissed off to me. But I’ll try.” Jubilee steps in front of me, her eyes betraying the anxiety she feels at havin’ to convince a seemingly pissed off feral to play nicely. Most o’ my bluster is just for show, but she doesn’t know that an’ I admire the kid’s balls – figuratively speakin’, o’ course.

“Come on, Wolvie, calm down now. Don’t let ‘em get the better of you. The nice man isn’t going to hurt us. See? He just wants to take us out into the fresh air.”

Nice man? Since when were our captors ‘nice men’? Frost, however, looks suitably apologetic an’ I allow my growl to fade away to a barely perceptible rumble as Jubilee continues to rattle off soothin’ nonsense. When I slowly rise from my fightin’ crouch, she backs off, lookin’ relieved as Frost steps forward to take her place.

“I’m not going to hurt you, Wolverine, but I need you to do as I say. Understand?”

I nod, slowly. “No guns,” I grunt out. It’s not a suggestion.

“No guns,” confirms Frost. He gestures behind him to the two guards an’ they lower their rifles, reluctantly. “Now, turn around and put your hands behind your back.”

I do so an’ DaCosta steps forward with the remote. He presses a button an’ my cuffs suddenly click together as they magnetise, effectively restrainin’ my arms. If I weren’t so on edge, I’d actually be impressed. Whoever designed ‘em knows a thing or two about advanced mechanics an’ has been spared no expense. It’s another example o’ how much money has been sunk into this venture – but by whom an’ ultimately why is an answer not so easily stumbled upon.

Distracted as I am by the cuffs, I don’t notice as DaCosta approaches me once again, this time holdin’ a wad o’ black material. Jubilee has moved around me to check out my hands an’ I am lookin’ down at her when the guard drops the blindfold over my eyes.

Understandably, I go crazy ……..

Jubilee yells in alarm as I twist around, catchin’ DaCosta with my shoulder an’ sendin’ him flyin’. I hear his rifle clatter across the floor as he loses his grip on it an’ I instinctively turn in that direction, although how I expect to use the dropped weapon with my hands restrained behind my back is anyone’s guess. I ain’t exactly operatin’ to the best o’ my abilities right now. Being robbed o’ my most basic sense has tipped me over the edge – I was holdin’ onto my humanity by the fingernails anyway, but now the feral is fully in control.

God help us all ………

My snarl is loud in my own ears as I switch to full-on predator mode. When I’m like this, somebody usually dies …….. an’ it usually ain’t pretty either.

“Get it off him! Get it off!” I hear Jubilee’s frantic cry an’ I turn anxiously in that direction. The cub! Where is she? I lift my head, scenting the room, an’ move unerringly in her direction, bloodlust momentarily forgotten. I have to protect the cub!

I have only taken two steps when I am tackled simultaneously from both sides, the guards’ combined weight draggin’ me to the floor, where I am pinned on my stomach, snapping an’ snarling. A third body throws itself across my back an’ I writhe beneath their weight, tryin’ to buck my captors off, an’ I whuff air as I am pressed down into the hard unyieldin’ floor. A crazed growl reverberates in my chest as I scrabble with my feet at the concrete beneath me, tryin’ to gain enough leverage in order to turn the tables on my attackers ……..

Then suddenly, cool fingers brush my face an’ the blindfold is removed. A pair of ice blue eyes look back into mine. “Wolvie? Wolvie, it’s me. Are you okay?”

An’ just those few words spoken by the cub I have sworn to protect are enough to bring me back from the dark place an’ put the man firmly back in control.

“Jubilee?” I rasp, the harsh tones o’ my voice betrayin’ the effort it’s takin’ to keep the beast at bay for the moment.

“It’s okay, Wolvie, I’m here.” Jubilee’s fingers brush my cheek fleetingly before she looks past me to the three men who are still usin’ me for a cushion an’ pressin’ me into the floor. “Get off him, you idiots! What the hell do you think you’re playing at?” She rises to her feet as the weight on my back disappears – unnoticed, I scoot back against the cot, my chest heavin’ an’ my breath comin’ in short uneasy gasps. The beast wants his control back, but I can’t let him have it – at least not until I’m sure he won’t kill somebody. I can’t protect Jubilee if he goes on the rampage.

Oblivious to my inner battle, Jubilee squares herself up to the three guards, one slim accusing finger dartin’ out to poke DaCosta in the chest. “You! What the hell were you thinking?!”

“I ……..”

“He’s feral, you idiot! He relies on his senses! You should have warned him what you were going to do!” She throws her hands up in disgust. “Just because you’ve got a lot of fancy toys an’ the two of us locked up in here, it doesn’t mean you know everything. You’re just fumbling around in the dark, the lot of you – playing at being the big bad villains. I honestly should have let him tear you all to bits for that lousy trick. And don’t think that just because his hands were tied he couldn’t hurt you. I’ve seen him get out of far worse situations in the Danger Room – and that wasn’t for real! You honestly deserve everything he could throw at you. Idiots, the lot of you!”

I half expect one of the guards to let fly with a fist an’ give Jubilee a lesson she won’t forget in a hurry, but they actually look surprised by her outburst. DaCosta mutters something under his breath as he walks away to retrieve his rifle an’ Frost looks down at his feet, his ears tinged pink with embarrassment. I know how he feels – I’ve been on the receivin’ end o’ my fair share o’ female tirades. O’ course, I never let ‘em bother me any. Women are an emotional breed by nature. They need to vent every once in a while.

An’ Jubilee vents with the best of ‘em.

She drops to her haunches by my side, one hand lifting to brush my hair tenderly back from my face. The action is so reminiscent o’ Marie that my breath catches in my throat an’ the cub misinterprets it for a gasp o’ pain.

“You okay, Wolvie? Did they hurt you?”

“No.” Tryin’ to regain some shred o’ my tattered dignity, I shake my head brusquely. “I’m fine.”

Tossin’ Frost a calculated glare, I stagger to my feet, not an easy achievement considerin’ my hands are still locked behind my back. Jubilee stands possessively by my side, our roles o’ protector an’ protected seemingly reversed for the moment. I’ve never seen the kid like this before – so confident an’ sure o’ herself. She’s always given me the impression that she views life as some kind o’ amusin’ interval until something better comes along – even Danger Room trainin’ was looked on as a joke. But now …….. There’s a woman emergin’ from behind the teenage persona an’ she’s turnin’ out to be one hell of a spitfire. She’ll make a fine X-Man one day.

I’ll be proud to fight at her side ……..

Provided we survive our current predicament.

Frost steps forward slightly an’ Jubilee moves in front of me as I growl a warnin’, my hackles risin’. I ain’t in the mood for any more fuckin’ mind games. If they touch me again, somebody’s gonna get hurt.

The guard seems to sense my hostility an’ raises his hands. “I’m not going to come any nearer, Wolverine. I ……..” He glances quickly at Jubilee, then back to me. “I’m sorry. We handled this really badly. And, all things considered, I think it would be best if we put off your outside exercise until tomorrow.”

“Too right,” I snarl, my lips curling back to show my displeasure at being fucked with. The beast is slowly regaining more control as I shorten his leash, an’ my voice is rough. “Perhaps you’d better go before I bite somebody else’s ear off?”

Frost swallows audibly an’ nods. “Perhaps we should.” He gestures quickly at his two companions an’ they begin to move slowly towards the door. He makes to follow, but then hesitates an’ turns back. “Y’know, this may come as a surprise to you, Wolverine, but some of us here aren’t exactly happy with what we’re being forced to do. We’re not all Roberts and Crowes. But a job’s a job. Beggars can’t be choosers.”

“Yeah?” My voice is harsh as I spit out a reply. “Try tellin’ that to the poor sonofabitch in the cell across the hall.”

If Frost is put out by my accusation, he doesn’t show it. “We’re just trying to make a living, Wolverine,” he remarks, simply, an’ follows his companions out into the hallway.

For a moment, I actually think that they’ve forgotten about the cuffs, but there’s a sudden audible click an’ they disengage – just DaCosta being cautious, I suspect. I briefly entertain the suspicion that Roberts won’t be happy with Frost’s failure to take his prize weapon outside for R an’ R an’ I wonder if the handler will get into hot water for his screw up. But then I realise that I really don’t care one way or the other. Despite his friendliness, he’s still the enemy an’ if Roberts decides to fire his sorry ass that’s one less guard I have to worry about.

Suddenly weary, I slide down the wall to the floor, burying my face in my hands as my head reels with the rush of adrenalin that comes with any contact with my inner beast. Jubilee drops to her knees by my side an’ watches me silently, not offerin’ any comment but merely assuring me of her support with her steady presence.

I finally lift my head from my hands with a sigh an’ regard my cellmate with a keen eye. “How did you know?” I ask, simply.

Jubilee frowns back at me. “How did I know what?”

“About the blindfold?”

The girl pulls a rueful face. “It was all Kitty’s fault really.” She looks down at her hands for a moment, as if deciding what an’ how much to say. “You remember after you were shot? When Kitty and I came to your room with a sandwich?”

I nod silently, urging her to continue. I could hardly forget. I’m sure my groin still bears her handprint.

“Kitty was shocked that I didn’t know you had to eat in order to replenish your energy after a healing coma. It didn’t bother me at the time, but afterwards I felt ……… ashamed …….. and I took a long, hard look at myself. And I suddenly understood that if I want to be an X-Man, I have to start taking things seriously. Out in the field, people – my team-mates – will count on me and trust me to keep them safe and I can’t do that if I treat everything like a lark. What if what happened to you happened to Kitty? Or Rogue? I would never forgive myself if I was the only one who could save them and I didn’t because I didn’t know what to do.” She heaves a sigh an’ I give her a moment to gather her thoughts. “I can’t change who I am, Wolverine. I’ll always be the one to crack the joke at the worst possible time – the one who is the last into the Danger Room and the first out of it. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. But I know now that I need to look out for my team-mates if we’re going to survive this crazy ride we call life. So, to answer your question, I’ve been reviewing everyone’s files to learn their strengths and weaknesses. I started with yours. I hate to admit it but, of all the X-Men, you’re the one I know the least about. It’s heavy going – I’ll be old and grey and drawing a pension before I finish. I didn’t know ferals came with so much emotional baggage.”

She grins at me, shyly, an’ I recognise the quip for what it is – an attempt at reconciliation. I tip my head. “Thanks,” I reply, brusquely.

“S’okay. Think nothing of it. Doesn’t mean we’re engaged or anything.”

She starts to rise to her feet, only to be distracted by the sound of a throaty chuckle comin’ from the hallway. We both glance over to see Victor leanin’ casually against the cell door, grinnin’ at us through the bars. Christ, I didn’t even sense him comin’! I’m more out of it than I thought.

Victor’s dark eyes flick between me an’ Jubilee. “Touching scene,” he growls. “You getting cosy with the frail, Jimmy?”

“Don’t call me that,” I snap back. “My name’s Logan.” This feral may hold the key to my past, but the only name I can ever remember using is Logan an’ I can see no reason for changin’ that now just on some guy’s say so. Regardless o’ whether the guy in question claims to be my brother or not.

“You’re touchy,” Victor observes, sourly, his brow wrinklin’ in distaste. “S’matta, Jimmy? Did the big, bad feral get free again an’ shake ya all up?”

I can feel my hackles risin’ as Victor fixes us with a steady glare. “That’s none o’ your damn business!” I snap back.

Victor barks a short laugh. “Jimmy, when will ya ever learn? Ya gotta embrace the beast – let it go free, not keep it caged. You’ll never realise your true potential if you deny your very nature. Take a look at me, for example.” Victor flexes his talons, proudly. “I’ve allowed my beast to go free an’ I’m proud of who I am.”

“I’m not an animal,” I grate, through clenched teeth.

“What, you’re implying that I am?” He considers this concept a moment, before allowin’ a grudging nod. “Well, maybe you’re right, but at least I’m not stuntin’ my nature. You shouldn’t deny your birthright, Jimmy. It’ll come back to haunt you one day.”

“You say yer not denyin’ yer nature, yet you’re out there, an’ we’re in here.” I rise slowly to my feet, keepin’ my eyes fixed on Victor’s the whole way. I haven’t known him long, yet he strikes me as the kinda guy you don’t take for granted, even when he’s safely on the other side of a barred door. “Do they know what you are? Or have they no use for another feral?”

“Oh, they have a use for me alright. The difference is that they don’t have to keep me locked up an’ use hokey serums to force me to co-operate. I’m quite happy to lend these guys my particular talents.” He studies his nails for a moment, an’ flicks away an imaginary speck o’ dirt. “But my services don’t come cheap, o’ course. No, me an’ the bossman, we’ve struck a deal.”

“Deal?” Why am I not likin’ the sound o’ this? “What kind o’ deal?”

“One you shouldn’t worry your head over, Jimmy. That’s between me an’ the bossman. Although ……..” he hesitates an’ glances towards Jubilee, who edges closer to me. “…….. I’ve been thinkin’ o’ re-negotiating our terms since settin’ eyes on the frail there.”

“You can damn well keep your eyes and your terms to yourself, mister.” Jubilee raises her fists, unconsciously, as if preparing to unleash her fireworks. “I’m not for sale.”

“Everybody has a price, lady. Even you,” Victor remarks, easily.

“What about the poor bastard they dragged in last night?” I spit back. “Did he have a price too? What did Roberts promise you for him?”

Victor frowns, genuinely puzzled by my words. “What guy are we talking about, Jimmy?”

“The guy in the cell across the hallway.” I jerk my head in that general direction. “They brought him in last night. He was all busted up.”

“Oh, him!” Victor grins, showing his teeth. “He wasn’t brought in last night. He’s been here for weeks.”

It’s my turn to frown. “Then what ……..?”

“He was sent out on a job a couple o’ days ago. Didn’t go too well, as I understand it, an’ he’ll be out o’ action for a while. Pity, ‘cause he’s a damn fine asset.” He pauses, eyeing me speculatively. “In fact, he’s the reason you’re here, Jimmy.”

“Who is he?” I demand, roughly, rememberin’ the guy’s scent an’ how it seemed so familiar to me.

Victor chuckles. “Oh, I ain’t gonna tell you that, Jimmy. It’s far more fun if you figure it out for yourself.”

“I ain’t one fer games,” I growl back.

“No, you never were, but this ain’t a game. It’s deadly serious. But just to whet your appetite, I’ll give ya a couple o’ clues - the bossman went to a lot o’ trouble to get hold o’ this guy once he realised he had a connection to somebody else in your life. Somebody with a lot o’ influence. So who do you figure was forced to turn you in in order to get him back?”

My blood turns to ice in my veins. “Who?”

Victor wags a finger at me. “Not telling you that, Jimmy. No fun, remember? I’d hate to deprive you o’ the satisfaction o’ puzzling it out for yourself.” He turns then to leave, but looks back at Jubilee. “See ya, sweets. Keep yourself pretty for me.” A suggestive click of his tongue follows this statement an’ then he’s gone, leavin’ us starin’ at the empty doorway.

“What the hell was all that about?” Jubilee asks into the followin’ silence.

My head is still reelin’ from Victor’s parting shot. If I’m readin’ his intent right, Roberts an’ his men had inside help in taking me down. I never stood a chance.

“Wolvie?” Jubilee is watchin’ me, a worried frown on her face. Do I tell her? I think I should. The kid deserves to know why she’s here.

“Things just went from bad to worse,” I respond, slowly. “I think there’s a traitor at the mansion ………”
Chapter End Notes:
NEXT: Wolverine's first mission goes badly ....... very, VERY badly.