Author's Chapter Notes:
Again, i rushed at one point, and decided to break one chapter into two. Hope you really like it.
The rain had stopped, and the night air was warm and humid. The parking lot was filled with the sounds of sirens, screams and crying. Red and blue flashing lights were illuminating the wet ground. An ambulance was backed up near the door. The boys I had pummelled were inside, and one looked at me. He pointed and began to talk, but the nurses closed the door before I could hear him. The ambulance began to drive away. Everything was going too fast, and it was all too loud. I was confused. There were police everywhere, and another ambulance was parked on the other end of the parking lot. I saw Remy standing over by the far ambulance. Two doctors were trying to take him away. He looked funny, like someone had punched him in the gut. I ran over to where he was. “Logan!” he called. He seemed worried. I pushed the doctors off of him, and he fell to his hands and knees. The back of his white suit was stained red with blood. He turned onto his back to look at me. “Mon Cher, she pushed Remy into the table. The punch bowl shattered and-” he winced in pain. Blood was beginning to pour out of his mouth. “The bowl shattered and the pieces went into Remy’s back when I landed on it. I’m hurt bad.” He began to cough more blood, and a tear formed in the corner of his eye. I got down on one knee next to him and pulled him close to me. His eyes were beginning to lose their liveliness. Tears were running down his face, and his lips were beginning to quiver. “Logan?”
“Yeah buddy?”
“Remy doesn’t want to die. Not yet.”
“Come on, you’re not gunna die.” I had to lie. I knew I couldn’t tell him. It was too tough, even for me.
“Logan. Don’t lie to me.” He was as serious as a judge. His face was growing pale. One of the nurses called me over.
“One sec bud.” I laid him down on the ground softly and walked over to where she was standing.
“Do you know him?”
“Yeah. He’s my best friend. He’s gunna be ok, right?”
“Well, he-” I cut her off by grabbing the collar of her shirt and throwing her up against the ambulance. I heard Remy cough behind me.
“He’s GUNNA be ok, RIGHT?!” Her eyes were filled with fear. “Well?” She was trying to speak, but was too afraid. I felt a hand on my back. I turned to see Jean standing behind me.
“Put her down, Logan.” It was obvious that she had been crying. Her eyes were red, and there was mascara running down her face. I let the nurse fall to the ground. She seemed dumfounded, but Jean tried to talk to her anyways. I couldn’t hear what she was saying, but the nurse didn’t respond either way. After a minute, Jean put her hands on the sides of her head, and scrunched her face. Immediately she burst out crying, and ran to me.
“He’s-he’s-" It was hard for her to talk through the sobbing.
“He’s what, Jean?”
“He’s got glass in his back, and-”
“He told me that part.”
“No Logan, a piece is, it was lodged in his heart, or around it at least. One of the interns tried to remove it. She hadn’t been being careful. When she pulled it out they realized that they had damaged the heart too badly. He’s bleeding out from the inside.” She lost it. She threw herself into my arms and sobbed into my shoulder. It wasn’t true. It couldn’t be. I turned my head back to Remy, still lying alone on the pavement.
“Jean?”
“Mmf, uh huh?”
“We can’t leave him alone. Not right now.” She stepped back from me and wiped her face.
“You’re right.” She walked passed me to where he was laying. I followed. It felt surreal, like a dream. A nightmare. I’m gunna wake up, and it will be over. I was looking down at him. He was breathing, but barely. The blood around him was a deep red, and it stained his suit badly. Jean dropped to her knee, and held his hand. He opened his eyes and smiled. I sat down next to her and pulled him close, his head resting on my lap. I looked up at the sky. I didn’t know what to do. “Logan?” His voice was shaking.
“What?”
“Do you believe in heaven?” I didn’t, but I couldn’t tell him that. If there was a heaven, and if there was a God, then why was my best friend dying in my arms? I looked at Jean. I heard her voice in my head.
“Say yes”
“Yes. I do.” There was a long silence. He began to sob. The pool of blood was mixing with the water from the rain and going down the drainage pipe. It seemed impossible that there could be that much blood in such a small person. He coughed and cringed in pain. Jean looked at me and her face scrunched.
“He’s lying on the glass. It’s hurting him.” I knew she could hear me too.
“What should we do?” She stood up and put her hands to her head.
“Just keep talking to him.” She was holding back tears, and her face wasn’t even scrunched, it was twisted in sorrow. I felt Remy lift about an inch off the ground. Not enough to draw attention, but enough to take the pressure off. He coughed again, and more blood came out of his mouth. I heard a dripping sound. Remy’s eyes were closed, but he was breathing. I looked under him. The blood was literally pouring out of him, and it was heavier when his heart pumped. It was definitely cut, bad. I looked back at his face.
“Logan, Talk to him.” She was right.
“Remy?”
“Logan?”
“Yeah. How you feeling?”
“Pretty crappy.” He tried to get a laugh in, but ended up inducing a coughing fit. I could hear Jean crying. I was amazed we hadn’t gathered a crowd yet, but I wasn’t gunna complain. Remy stopped coughing, and looked at me again.
“Logan? Tell me the truth. Am I dying?”
“Logan, tell him no.” I wasn’t gunna lie anymore. He had the right to know.
“Yeah. You are.” His eyes closed, and tears began to flow from them.
“Logan, I said no.”
“Shut up, Jean. He has to know.” Remy’s crying had turned into whimpers.
“Remy?”
“Uh, Uh huh?”
“You are dying” he cried more “but you are NOT going to die alone.” He looked up at Jean, then back to me. “Jean and I will stay with you.”
“So will I.” I turned and saw Emma walking towards us. She must have been listening for awhile. She was obviously holding back tears. She knelt to the other side of Remy and held his hand. "We love you, Remy” she said. A tear ran down her face. She looked up passed me and smiled. I turned to see Scott. I was about ready to stand up and castrate him, but I had to stay with Remy.
“What’s going on?” he asked. Jean burst out crying. Scott started to run to her, but then he looked down at Remy. He saw the blood.
“What happened?” I looked up at him.
“He fell onto the punch bowl and got the glass in his back.”
“Is he gunna be ok?” Emma started to cry and Jean cried harder. A tear formed in Scott's eye, and he knelt down with the rest of us. We were all in a circle around Remy. Jean was the only one standing, but she looked about ready to fall over. Scott and Emma were on either side of him, holding his hand, and his head was in my lap still. I pushed his long hair out of his face could he could see better. Blood was running down his face from his mouth and nose, and tears were flowing from his eyes. The dark sky was suddenly lit up by a flash of lightning from the distance. We all looked in that direction. The sky was a deep blue, and everything seemed so unreal. All of us were just staring at the sky. The thunder reached us. It was a huge crack, louder than I had ever heard before. Suddenly I felt a wave of cold flowed over me. I looked down at Remy. We all did. His chest had stopped moving. He had expired, and none of us were with him. We were all looking at the sky. He had simply slipped away, like the lightning was his life. There in a flash, then gone. Scott stood and screamed loudly. Jean fell to her knees, and she dropped Remy. His body fell to the ground, and laid there. Emma and Jean grabbed each other and cried together. I sat, with his head in my lap. It began to rain... But my hands were dry. I looked up. There was no rain falling. I put my hands to my face. I was crying. I began to sob.
Chapter End Notes:
I know it is a little heavier, but it gets even heavier from there. Just as a warning, the next few chapters are extreamly graphic. Rate high, and comment.