“Hello?” She didn’t recognise the number that had flashed up on the screen of her cell phone.
“Hey darlin’” Logan’s voice came from the other end of the phone. “You ok?”
“Yeah I’m fine” she said confused “You finally-”
“Got a phone, I know” he finished her sentence for her. He hadn’t owned a phone since, well ever. The closest thing he ever had to a phone was one of the radio’s that everyone had as part of the X-men uniform, to use on missions. He heard Rogue’s slight snicker of amusement from the other end of the phone.
“So am I not good enough to accompany you out anymore?” she asked teasingly.
“It’s not that darlin’, I couldn’t. I‘m back now anyway.” he sighed heavily “Look, I hate to burst your bubble, but Jean, she told Storm about this morning, and they were overheard.”
“Siryn” Rogue sighed. The whole school must’ve heard by now she guessed. She hadn’t left her room since returning from the training session that morning. It’s amazing how quickly things could spread in the matter of a couple hours.
“I heard her and Storm talking in the staffroom as I came in a few minutes ago, thankfully I think Storm talked her out of it, but still…” His voice trailed off he knew what this could mean. If the professor found out then, well he just didn’t know what would happen. Rogue knew what this meant.
“Looks like we’re gonna have to just lay low for a while, until they forget about it or change their minds…” She could hear the sadness in his voice. Finally she was old enough, but he still couldn’t have her. Life was a bitch at times. Well, always it seemed.
“It’s not fair!” she protested.

But she too knew full well that it wasn’t just about the two of them. It was about the reputation of the school as well. The professor would be able to tell that what they felt for each other was genuine, but whether he’d let them carry on their relationship, or let them stay even, would be a completely different story. Only one parent had to hear that a teacher was dating a student and the schools reputation would be completely ruined.

“I know sweetheart” he sighed. “but it’s either that or face the consequences, whatever they may be” he couldn’t remember his own past, let alone be able to predict the future. “Well, you have my number now, so if you need me or whatever then call me or send message….later darlin’”

Tears welled up in her eyes as he hung up. Jean and her big mouth. She was always sticking her nose in where it wasn’t wanted and letting students overhear such delicate subjects, that was unprofessional of her. What else did she say without thinking who was about? Did she ever discuss when someone went to see her for medical advice?

Hopefully Logan was right about Storm. She always though logically and rationally about things before jumping to conclusions. She just hoped Scott wouldn’t find out, he’d go running to the professor straight away for sure, anything to get Logan into trouble. They were always at each others throats.

***

The next few days were difficult. No usual Sunday outing. No proper face to face conversations. No ‘accidentally’ brushing against each other as they passed in the corridor. No secret visits to each others rooms. Just pain and secrecy. Low whispers and stares even if they were seen sitting at other ends of the dinning room or happened to pass each other while walking down the corridor.

Rogue was in Jubilee and Kitty’s room, they’d been studying for a maths test they had the next morning. Well not that much studying happened, Jubilee just wanted to know all the gossip about Peter and Kitty. Kitty blushed as she told them of how Peter had finally asked her to go on a date with him on Friday night. Jubilee then decided that they needed to find something nice for her to wear and proceeded to pull every item of clothing out of Kitty’s wardrobe.

Although she was happy for her friend, she couldn’t help but feel a little jealous. It was alright for Kitty and Peter, they wouldn’t have to hide their feelings for each other. Sure, he was older than her, but it was only two years, she was only sixteen, yet it was perfectly alright for her to date a guy of eighteen.
“Are you ok Rogue? You haven’t seemed yourself for the past few days.” Kitty asked
“Yeah come on, chica, what’s getting you down so bad? Not still worried about Siryn are you?”
“No.” Rogue sighed softly.
“Look, if it’s about Bobby, then just forget about him.” Kitty said sympathetically. Rogue’s cell phone flashed and vibrated again. Jubilee and Kitty both looked to Rogue as she opened the newly received text, hoping she’d finally tell them who it was she’d been messaging all evening.
“It’s him isn’t it? It’s Bobby.” Jubilee guessed.

All Rogue wanted to do was tell them the truth. That the rumours were true about her staying in Logan’s room that night. She wanted so much to tell them that she was madly in love with him, so much it hurt. And more than anything, that he actually felt the same way about her.
“Nope, not Bobby.”
“Then who?” Kitty and Jubilee exclaimed at the same time.
“Just, some guy I met a week or two ago…” Rogue lied.
“Well come on chica! Spill the beans already!!” jubilee squealed, excitement on her face. “What’s his name? Where did you meet? Oh! Is he a mutant too?” She asked all at once. This was going to be a long night…

***

Logan sighed as he waited for a reply, tucking his hand back behind his head as he lay staring at the ceiling. Another boring night, alone. He wished Marie was with him. Hell he didn’t even care if they just sat in complete silence all night together, he just wanted her here with him. He laughed a little to himself at that, who’d of ever thought that the big bad Wolverine had a soft side.

To be completely honest, he didn’t even know it himself, not until the day he met her. So alone and helpless. As he drove away and left her standing in the road, he felt so guilty, he had to stop and let her in. He couldn’t just leave her there, she was just a kid.
And when they arrived at the mansion, the only thing he really cared about was her. And as the days and weeks past they grew closer. She was the only person he really trusted, ever.

That night when he nearly killed her. That was probably the worst memory he had. He’d do anything to change that if he could. And that night on Liberty Island, he didn’t care if he died, the only thing that mattered was her.

That night at the fair, on the Ferris wheel, he wanted so badly to tell her that he’d never leave again and hold her close, tell her everything was going to be alright, that he loved her. But he didn’t have the courage. He’d never felt that way before and to be honest, it scared him. That night, he had to leave. Not to try and find some more clues to his past, but to try and forget about her. He shouldn’t have been feeling like that about her. She was young, too young. But he couldn’t get her off his mind. No matter how long, or how many times he left, it was no use. So he stayed away until it would be ok to let her know.

Only it wasn’t.

A silent tear rolled down his cheek. Wolverine never, ever cried. Again, something that changed when he met her.

He growled angrily at himself for get so worked up and wiped the tear away. He’d just have to wait, or come up with a plan….
Chapter End Notes:
The truth will come out very soon, dont worry!