I looked down the steep drop to see the jeep there, somewhat roughed up with assorted dents that I could see so far, but the frame entirely looked fine. The ‘cliff’ wasn’t too bad. I could make it down there, just grab a couple things and contact Xavier with what little I had been saving of Jean’s power. I adjusted my shorts and started down.

Logan grabbed my wrist and pulled me back. “What’re you doing?”
Isn’t it obvious? I thought sarcastically. “I’m going down to get whatever is still intact.” I answered easily, and took another step forward only to be pulled back again.

“No, Rogue come on. It’s unsafe.” He murmured, taking a glance at the ledge.
“It’s easy, I can just climb down, there’s all sorts of roots and stuff to hang onto.” I folded my arms across my chest, annoyed he thought he could stop me.

“If you fell,” he started glancing over the edge again. “It would be a two story drop.”
“I won’t fall.” I hissed.
“If.” He said again.

I glared at him. “If I fall, I’ll just touch you. Wow! Healing powers! Is that new?”
He met my glare fiercely. “I’m not letting you go.”

“And who put you in charge?” I growled.
“You. Last night.” He grinned darkly. He altered his voice to be imitating a female one. “Oh Logan. Do whatever you want.”

My face flushed with red as my eyes widened with shock and fury. My hands balled up into fists and I tried to restrain myself against my fiery need to kill him. I took a swing at his face. My left hook he caught in mid-air deflecting it. My right fist however, made contact against his cheekbone.

“You overconfident asshole!” I yelled at him as he backed up away from me to avoid being hit again. He’s used to pain, and didn’t satisfy me with buckling over and holding his face in agony. Instead, I watched as the small gash I left there healed and he looked like normal again. “Why do you keep bringing it up?” I demanded angrily. “You like pissing me off?”

He shrugged, folding his arms across his chest. “I’d like to know why you avoid the subject so much.” He told me easily.

“Ah.” I muttered. “I jus’ don’t like the fact that ah slept with you when ah was drinkin!” I yelled. Dammit all. The second I start getting angry that damn southern accent comes back uncontrollably.

He grinned, recognizing the sound of it. I took a deep breath trying to control and prepare myself for whatever he was going to say next. “I don’t know why you work so hard to hide that drawl of yours darlin.” He murmured.

I glared at him and took my time replying. “I don’t want everyone to know what I ran away from.” My voice had softened so I tried to remember what we were fighting about. “We slept together when neither of us were thinking straight. That’s not how I thought our first time would go.”

He nodded, before another grin flashed across his face. “But you did think about it.”
I glared at the incorrigible bastard. “Can I go down to the jeep now?”

Logan’s expression shifted to anger promptly. “I’ll go. I’m a bit more durable.”
I sighed. “Grab the water bottles, we’ll walk to the next town. And grab my backpack, it’s got a bunch of granola bars.”

“Gross.” He muttered under his breath.
I couldn’t help but smile. He never liked granola bars.

He started making his way down. It looked a whole lot steeper now that he was on it, it looked like the drop was almost straight down. “Take your time.” I murmured quietly, but I knew he could hear me.

He didn’t look up. “Healing factor. Remember?”
I could picture what he was doing. And I had started to realize that perhaps the cliff wasn’t as easy to climb down as I had thought. I continued watching has he made it halfway down. There were no slips. Logan was steady, not slow, but he every step closer to the ground he took was certain and stable.

Suddenly, I heard a sickening snap, and I watched as the root Logan grabbed onto broke.

“LOGAN!” I screamed.

And he fell.
He fell all the way down. The thud of his heavy metal body was the worst sound I have ever heard.
Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think.