Housecoat on, I headed down the stairs with a newspaper. I heard laughter and immediately winced at the sound as though I was Scrooge. It wasn’t the happiness that pained me of course, it was this dreadful hangover of the morning after my birthday. Logan had gone to speak with the professor while I headed downstairs, perhaps for some eggs which I happened to be in the mood for.

I walked into the kitchen and silence swept through like a plague. I paused in the entrance, before I forced myself to continue taking my time as I walked in, pulled out a mug and filled it with coffee. I poured in the cream, one scoop of sugar and finally turned around to look at the people staring at me.

I think the look on Kitty’s face was the most amusing. She had a bright smile, but her eyes were full of frustration of wanting to ask me something. Kurt was next to her, and Bobby sitting at the table pretending he wasn’t paying attention to me when he was, picking at his breakfast. Storm was looking a little... under the weather, no pun intended and Jean was busy talking to Scott who was staring at me with the same look as everyone in the room. Remy simply looked smug.

I leaned against the counter and took a sip of my coffee, ignoring the giant elephant in the room. “And how is everyone doing today?” Kitty laughed at me, while Remy shook his head.

“You tell me chere. Remy thinks you had a fun night.” He had on that look that he was convinced made all the girls swoon. Everyone but me of course.

I shrugged. “It’s what one can expect on her birthday right?”
“Of course.” Scott chuckled under his breath.

My eyes narrowed. “Well.” I mumbled. “I guess I’ll see you all later.” I started to head towards the door, before hearing frantic whispers. I was about to turn around and dramatically point out that I’m still in the room, before I bumped into what felt like a very familiar brick wall.

“Hi Logan,” I heard Kitty say from behind me. However I still couldn’t lift my gaze from the ground to look at him. I took a deep breath and slowly started to raise my head to look at him. Right... This is when he tells me that last night was a mistake in front of everyone.

His eyes smouldered me, brown and soulful. If I could, I’d spend most my time staring into Logan’s eyes. There’s so much there that I can’t begin to explain. There’s pain but there are so many unidentifiable emotions that I could drown in. “Hi Logan.” I whispered.

He smiled at me, that kind of natural smile that you do without wanting to or being capable of stopping. It slips across your face in one gentle motion. I only know, because he makes me do it all the time. For the life of me I don’t know why he has that power over me. Though, I try to shy away from that subject as much as I can.

“Leaving so early?” He murmured taking a step closer to me, which immediately made me take a step back into the kitchen.

“I think I’ll just go kill some time.” I stuttered “It’s kind of... loud.”
He nodded. “I was about to go out for breakfast, feel like joining me?”
I heard the snickers behind me. “Um, you know I think I’ll just be in my room for a bit, I’m going to take a shower.” I pushed past him and headed out into the hallway away from indecent stares.

“Marie,” he called after me as I got halfway up the stairs. I spun around in time to see him place on foot on the bottom stair as though he was ready to chase me. Fuck, the memories come flooding back. Does it ever stop? “You already took a shower.” He laughed, but I kept walking. “Come on; don’t act like you don’t know me.” He coaxed easily. “You’re not like that.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I murmured, in a hushed voice as I glanced around to make sure that no one was listening.
“You know exactly what I’m talking about.” He challenged. I spun around and continued up the stairs, but he followed me.

“What are you afraid of?” he demanded as I entered my bedroom.
“Look Logan, you don’t have to worry about it okay?” I muttered. “I’m not that kind of girl. I get it. We weren’t sober. It was a mistake.”

“I never said it was a mistake Marie, you said that.” I walked further into my room and into the bathroom before I spun around and looked him in the eyes.

Just then there was a knock at my door. I closed my eyes briefly before I pushed past Logan and walked to the door. Piotr stood there. “Rogue, Storm needs you to accompany Logan on a mission.” Just then Logan came around the corner. “Oh, you’re both here.” He nodded. “Pyro has escaped.”

I took a deep breath. “Sure, I’ll go get ready.”
I grabbed a bag out of my closet and quickly grabbed the essentials. I was about to do it up before I saw Logan reach into the trash and throw the box of condoms into the bag. “You’ll need these.”

I grabbed them and threw them at his head, which he caught a second too soon with a laugh. “Just sayin’”
Chapter End Notes:
Comment!