Author's Chapter Notes:
Be aware, it begins with Logan's POV and ends with Rogue's. Just lettin you know!
LOGAN

The things I fear most tend to haunt me. Losing the people I love most is a reoccurring factor. But there is a difference between being helpless to help those you love, and being the one who put them in danger in the first place. Jean, had been an old soul, and we both had our share of demons; that was why we had clicked so easily, like magic. But my fear of losing her had driven me to put the girl I had sworn to protect in the same danger as the one I could not help. Once again; I was helpless.

But the girl was different from the one I had picked up in Canada that day.

This one had built walls, to keep everything out. Walls, to make sure that she couldn’t be hurt again. But I had done this to her. My own selfish demands to not put myself through pain again, I had put Rogue through so much more than an eighteen year old girl should have to go through. But, she takes on personality traits of those she absorbs. That was why she had sat around with me a while drinking beer and watching sports after I saved her from Magneto’s machine.

That would have to mean that Jean was in there somewhere, and perhaps the part of her that wanted to break free, was the part that went to bed with me on the night of Rogue’s birthday. It’s possible, that Rogue never wanted me in the first place.

Anger and frustration was building in me. I wanted to hit something. This was why I had got into cage fighting. It let me tire myself out on people who wanted to fight as much as I did. But instead I was sitting in the danger room, the only place I could actually think. It wasn’t on. I just sat there, staring at the wall waiting for answers to emerge across the steel. Only a few lights were on, spread around the warehouse sized room. I had a beer in one hand, three empties were beside me as I twisted the lid off to this one. If Jean was in there, I may never have even wanted Rogue.

This was all my fault.

Just then I heard the door open, two people walked in. I took a deep breath. The scent of cigarettes, leather, pine needles and sickly cinnamon was first, meaning the Cajun was coming. I took a swig of my beer and inhaled again. It was a gentle mixture of peach shampoo, freshly washed clothing, lilacs, and her favourite vanilla lotion. Rogue. She was wearing her favourite pair of jeans and a black tank top, but I could see the bandaging of her stomach underneath. I took a look at her desperate face as she pleaded to Remy to stop, and damn well knew that I wanted her.

I sighed and chugged the rest of my beer.

*

ROGUE

“Please Remy,” I cried. “Please don’t do this.”
Gambit ignored me, fully armoured and holding his staff in one hand. I stood close and we watched Logan sitting there, finish the rest of his beer and get up.

“You gonna hide behind the girl or are you gonna throw down like you’ve got a pair?” Logan growled throwing his empty bottle to the side where it broke.

Gambit grinned darkly, and gently pushed me backwards to stay out of the way. “I’ll dance with you little man.” He taunted easily walking in the other direction to keep the fight as far away from me as he could. “But if you’re bringing dem knives...” he held up his staff “I’m gonna have to even up de score.”

Remy ran and launched himself at him, through the air and kicking Logan in the face. Logan flew backwards across the floor, his white wife beater with a new pattern of blood on it. I had screamed, without realized it and watched as Logan got to his feet and cracked his neck before he walked menacingly towards Gambit.

“Take your best shot bub.” Logan snarled angrily. “We’ll see who’re left standing.” He launched his fist across Gambit’s face and then into his stomach.

Gambit slid across the floor but quickly pushed himself back onto his feet in a defensive stance and watched Logan’s claws come out. “You come at me with them claws,” he threatened “I’ll light the rest of your shiny skeleton up like a Mardi Gras float.”

Furious laughter emerged from Logan now as he let his claws shoot back into his fists. “Claws?” He chuckled darkly. “Bub I don’t need fists to beat you.”

With that he grabbed Remy’s shirt and slammed his forehead against his, leaving Gambit disoriented, collapsing on the floor, but clearly still trying to get back up. “Logan no!” I gasped out desperately.

I saw the animal in Logan’s eyes, and knew that he was lost the in fury. “Run for it darlin,” he growled. “You don’t want to see what comes next.”

“Please don’t do this Logan.” I whimpered brokenly.

I saw him peer down at Remy’s face, only a few gashes across it, but now Gambit had gotten a hold of himself as he stared up at the Wolverine. Logan, who may have lost himself in the animal. “Go on den mon ami.” Gambit ushered him on. “Do it.” Logan let go of the collar of his shirt, and he fell uselessly to the floor. “Too afraid to kill me ah Wolverine?”

Logan paused, not looking at me or Remy, but his gaze trapped on the floor. “What I am Cajun, is too smart for it.” His fists clenched and unclenched. “There’s still a part of me left, which can say no.” He looked up at me, and for the first time I saw the sadness in his eyes, rather than anger or annoyance. His gaze never left mine as he spoke. “I haven’t given in. Not now. Not yet.”

He started to walk away, and I thought I’d burst into tears right then, but I saw Gambit out of the corner of my eye, getting up and charging a card. I opened my mouth to scream at him to stop, but it was already flying through the air towards Logan.

He dodged it to my surprise, easily, like he saw it coming even though he was facing away. “LACHE!” Gambit yelled at him. “COWARD!”

Logan turned around to look at him for the first time since the fight. “Don’t push your luck boy.” He muttered. “Next time you try tossin psyche charged knives at me... You better be prepared to back it up with a lot more than grin.”

Gambit glared at him angrily. “Be a sure bet homme.”

Logan almost smiled, before his gaze flickered to mine and then away. “Nothing’s a sure bet boy.” He walked to the door. “You’ll learn that someday.”
Chapter End Notes:
Comment!