Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow, it's been a long time, and I apologize but life just got in the way and it took my inspiration with it. Thanks to everyone still interested in this story, I know where this is going and I think the updates should be faster. My goal is to have this finished before the new year!

I hope you enjoy this chapter . The song that keep going on in my head is Home Again by Daena Jay, awesome song, it was what inspired this Chapter.



Chapter 3 - I can't See you But I know You're There


so far from where we've been
we'll carry on the ties that never end ~ Daena Jay

With closed eyes Wolverine inhaled deeply, the aroma of his cigar filling his senses. Besides the unique flavour of his Habano, he could smell the dampness in the night air, it was going to rain and soon. The moon was full, and his heart felt heavy and tight, like it had been filled with hot steel and was struggling to pump, each beat more painful than the last. He tried concentrating on just breathing in and out when a voice broke his mediation. He cursed under his breath he'd been so focused that he'd left himself venerable to his surroundings.

"Do you have a light".

Without responding Wolverine held out his lighter to the young man. His senses taking over Wolverine breathed in deeply and was uneasy by the smell that he took in. There was someone thing very familiar about the man, an undertone in his scent that reminded him of someone, but there were other scents as well and he thought his mind was playing tricks on him again, that Vanilla honey scent that always lead back to the same damn person. As an afterthought, he made a mental note to see Hank as soon as possible, maybe there was something really wrong with him.

"Thanks, I left mine in the car."

Logan just grunted back as he took back his lighter, secretly sizing up the man before him. Tall, blond hair, blue eyes, medium build, definitely had some kind of martial arts background by his stance, where other men shrank back just the slightest in his presence, this one held his own.

Normally, he never mingled or spoke with anyone, especially on a mission. He'd always been the quite enforcer, his stealth one of his most valuable qualities. There was something about the young man that nagged at him.

Logan was about to make an attempt at small talk when the comlink sparked to life.

"Wolverine, Gambit here. South perimeter be clear. I'm heading to de roof. Do you know where Cyclops is, homme not responding."

" Copy that. And Cyke is with Frost, I don't think you'll be hearing from him any time soon".

Wolverine immediately noticed the stiff stance from the young man sending off warning signals.

Taking a deep drag from his cigarette, Alex stared out into the night as scenes from his past danced in his vision. He felt his hole body stiffen from immediately registering the code name. He'd long ago found his brother. What a joke, what would the world think of the great Scott Summers, if they knew he'd left his baby brother in the hands of a madman, all for the promise of a fancy mansion and a posh life, how did he sleep at night.

Alex knew he was the leader of the X-men, even gone as far as interviewing for a position at the institute. His brother, god even the word left a bad taste in his mouth, had been in the same room with him and barely given him a second glance. Being abandoned by his only living family has been devastating. Coming face to face with him only to be dismissed like a second rate nobody had crushed every dream that had kept his hope alive, he still has no idea how he didn't bring the whole mansion down that day.

Feeling his hands shake from the restraint of just wanting to let loose his powers, he could feel the power just under his skin. He desperately tried to compose himself feeling the sting in his eyes, tossing what was left of his cigarette. Wanting to get as far away as possible from anything to do with his brother, with his mind make up, he set out to find Jessie and the hell away from here. Maybe a vacation in Hawaii would help ease his wounded self. He'd been wanting to show Jessie the beautiful place that had helped heal him, plus there was something he'd been dying to ask her, what better place.

Wolverine was left staring at the retreating man, in the short space of time he'd give off so many different emotions. Wolverine just couldn't shake off the familiarity in the stranger, there was something but it was just out of his grasp.

His own thoughts began to stray as a sent wafted through the humid air, which always led back to the same place, Marie. Closing his eyes tight, it felt like she was right there with him, it was like sinking and floating at the same time. It was by far the most delicious pain, it didn't matter that she was gone. He carried her in his mind, in his soul, no amount of time could ever erase that, he'd been branded by her the first time he laid eyes on her so many years ago in that dingy little bar.

After several calming breaths he felt a few rain drops falling on his face. Visibly shaking himself he wouldn't do this here, not where people could see his pain so openly. Opening his eyes he started to head inside, just as he turned he caught sight of a lithe figure run out towards the orchards.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jessie has tried to keep up the flirtatious rapport with Cameron, but the brief brush with the strange man she was edgy and couldn't focus. She excused herself to the ladies room.

The reflection that stared back at her felt foreign, the urge to claw at her face and uncover what was underneath had her shaking. The room was spinning, or was that her head. She was startled out of her thoughts from the stall door as a petit brunette came next to the sink where she was.

Trying to calm her emotions she caught the woman's gaze in the mirror, recognition all over the woman's face.

"Rogue, oh my god."

After what seemed like an endless moment, "I'm sorry you must have me confused with someone else."

"Rogue it's me Kitty, where have you been we thought you were dead."

It didn't feel right,... it didn't feel right, ...it didn't feel right. It was like the floor had vanished from under her, suddenly she couldn't breath "I'm sorry but you have the wrong person".

Air, she needed air, doing the only thing that felt right she ran. Jessie bolted out of the washroom and searched for the nearest exit, anywhere she had to get away from here.

She ran down the steps out into the dark not knowing where she was going ,she just keep going not looking back.

She felt the rain on her face and just keep going and didn't stop until she far from the mansion. By the time she stopped she was completely soaked and out of breath. Looking up at the moon the only light, taking deep shuttering breaths. Her mind was reeling, someone knew her, why did she run. Isn't that what she wanted, to know who she was. To know her name, to know that there was someone out there that had been looking for her, she wasn't just some nobody. To know she wasn't just murderer, some experiment gone terribly wrong, or maybe that's exactly what she was.

What did she really know, and did she want to. She had a life, a good one with a man that loved her, was the trade off worth it. Could she go forward now and never look back, were something's better off not known.

The rain just poured down harder seeming to mirror her aura. She was sinking, sinking fast, when she felt a strong hand on her arm.

"Marie"

Looking down she knew that hand, it haunted her dreams every night. It was the one thing that they hadn't been able to take away. Suddenly she wasn't cold anymore. Looking down she could feel her tears mingling with the rain, she was so scared. She didn't want to turn around and have it vanish, like so many times before. Was this another dream, she was shaking so badly it hurt, her chest was heaving, she couldn't get the breath into her lungs fast enough. She felt the other arm gently turn her around, she still didn't dare look up, she been haunted for as long as she could remember and wasn't sure what was on the otherside or how this would end.

A hand gently cupped her face as she involuntarily leaned into the caress. Ever so lightly the hand tilted her chin up, still unable to grasp what was happening she closed her eyes, still so scared that it would fade away like so many other times.

"Marie open your eyes, please."

Letting go of the breath she was holding she opened her eyes to come face to face with the most memorizing pair of hazel eyes. A thousand moments passed threw his eyes telling a painful story, but the love shone threw them so brightly she thought she was falling in them.

Before either could say another word, she grabbed her neck as she promptly fell limp in his arms, only to be followed by Wolverine as well.

"Nighty, night" Had anyone else been there they would have heard the mechanical laughing echoing in the rainy night.


Chapter End Notes:
Hahahhahah more mechanical laughter, hope you enjoyed the cliffhanger!

More reviews more updates!