Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter picks up where we left off in the “Patient” (if you haven’t read it, you might want to). Again I've envisioned Chris Evans as Alex :) Not as Hot as Logan but I think it's a pretty good second.


Chapter 1: Skeletons in the Closet

Present Day

Jessie woke up stretching her aching muscles with a smile on her face, thinking back to last night’s or rather this mornings activities. Reaching over she realized the bed was empty


Looking over to the night stand was a note in front of the clock. Smiling to herself as she read.

Had an early meeting, Chloe’s been walked and fed.
There’s something in the closet for you.
See you tonight, we leave at 7 sharp
Love You, Alex

Smiling to herself she leapt out of bed and darted over to the large walk-in closet. Before she had moved into his bedroom it had been half full, currently there wasn’t much more. Despite, Alex’s insistence that she have everything she wanted. However, Jessie was not really one for material things so it was still a work in progress. Looking around she quickly spotted the out of place garment bag hanging at the very back end.

Just as she made for the bag, something caught her eye at the bottom on the floor, a dark green shoe box, had it always been there? Alex had always been open and up front with her about everything. His being a mutant, going from foster home to foster home, and of course what he really did for a living. She in turn had told him everything she could remember which wasn’t much, but she knew for sure she was a mutant, and killed someone at least once in self defense. Biting her lip she couldn’t help the curiosity that spiked her heart rate. She really didn’t want to snoop around but, there was just something urging her on, almost like an invisible hand reaching out.

Sitting Indian style on the floor with the box in front of her. For an endless moment her fingers just hovered over it, she felt like there was no turning back, her hands had a mind of their own. Taking a deep breath she gently pulled the lid off and frowned at what she saw, confusion clouding her face.

What the hell was Alex doing with a ratty old teddy bear. The thing was definitely worse for wear it had to be at least 20 years old. Picking it she felt a strange numbness, the object felt unusually heavy. Like an anchor pulling her down, her heart missed a beat she was sure of it. Then a burning sensation in her finger causing her to hiss at the sting, quickly dropping the stuffed toy that fell back in the box. she looked at her fingertips, but there was nothing there. How strange, it felt almost like drowning and floating at the same time, there was definitely something to be said about Pandora’s Box.

Just then the phone rang, placing the lid back she shoved the stupid box where it had been. Trying to rid her head of the strange swirling that is was doing. Walking back into the bed room she picked up the phone.
“Good morning beautiful, you’re wearing it aren’t you.”
“Oh, ummm actually I just read your note I’m going now hold on a sec.”

Hesitating for a second she stepped back inside and pulled the zipper down, which revealed a long black satin dress. Still cradling the phone to her ear, she pulled the dress out of the bag and placed the hanger over her neck.
“Wow Alex it’s beautiful, thank you.”
“Good. Be ready by seven. We should be there early to mingle. I’ll see you later love you.”
“Love you too, bye.”
All the bad thoughts were tossed aside as she slipped the dress on. It was a low v-neck in the front yet still decent, and very low in the back almost to her waist. It fit like a second skin, her curves in all the right places. Pulling her hair off her shoulders as she looked in the mirror, she couldn’t wait until Alex saw her.
It was going to be an incredible night, she could feel it.




The drive to the heart of L.A. has been quiet, the slow beat of David’s Bowies Thursday Child filling the car.

“Hey, you okay, You seem kinda’ off tonight.”

“I’m okay.”

Alex instantly recognized the nonchalant shrug and tone, this was her silent brooding mode. He pulled off to the shoulder side of the highway.

“Alex was are you doing.”

Reaching over he turned the music to a very low thud.

“I can sit here all night, if that’s what you need.”

Jessie opened her mouth to protest, and slammed it shut at the look Alex pinned her with. She could almost swear his real power was telepathy.

As the minutes went by and she refused to speak, Alex just shrugged, as he leaned his seat back and closed his eyes. “I’m a very patient man, baby.”

“Can’t we talk about this later, we’re going to be late”.

Snapping his eyes opened he frowned at her “Nothing’s more important to me than you.”

Of course that only made her feel more guilty. What was wrong with her. Here was the most incredible man ever, and she loved him she did, but for some reason she held back. She always held back. And he knew when she was doing it. What she didn’t understand was why he put up with it, he really did deserve better.

“It’s nothing, I’m being stupid”

“It’s not nothing, or stupid, whatever it is, Just say it.”

“Fine”. Taking a deep breath Jessie tried to let it out as best she could. “Okay, first I just want to say that I wasn’t snooping, I wasn’t.” She looked at him to gauge his reaction.

Alex knew better than to interrupt with a comment, she’d get off topic and dance around the subject for hours without actually saying what was wrong. She had it down to an art form, he wondered sometimes if she’d been a lawyer, instead he just nodded and smiled, trying to gently urge her on.

“This morning when I went to look for my present. I noticed a shoe box underneath. I opened it, there was a stuffed bear inside. It is yours, It’s just that when I touched it I got these strange feeling in my head it was really weird.” She decided to leave out the burning part, it was probably her brain playing tricks on her.

“Oh”. Alex wasn’t really sure what to say. He’d tried to always be honest with her. But there were things that he didn’t remember clearly, and if he was honest with himself there were things that he didn’t want to remember. He’d never told her how he’d spent most of his life waking up coughing and gasping for air, with the painful screams of children ringing in his ears. It felt like a lifetime ago, ever since she’d come into his life the ghosts from his past had settled, he really couldn’t remember the last time he’d had that dream. She brought to his life the balance he’d so desperately craved, like he’d been waiting for her all along, like the missing piece to his puzzle. There was so much he wanted to say, but he also knew that now wasn’t the time, he opted for a true but short version.



“Yeah it’s mine, well sort of. You remember how I told you I grew up in foster homes. Well before that I was at an orphanage with my brother, and he was adopted, a short time later the place burned to the ground. The only thing I had was the clothes on my back, and that bear. I don’t remember much. It’s like a broken movie, there’s certain scenes I remember as clear as day, and others that aren’t there or out of focus. I was barely 5. I’m sorry that it made you feel so bad. I wasn’t hiding anything from you I honestly haven’t thought about my past in really long time. I think It’s because for the first time I’m trying to look ahead to a better future.”

“Oh Alex, I’m the one that’s sorry. Maybe I was just picking up on your emotions or something. I’m sorry you had to remember things you weren’t ready to talk about.”
Reaching over he caressed her cheek the look in his eyes melting the ice from her heart. “Don’t be sorry, I want to share my life with you, everything. But I want you to know there’s a lot of ugly in it. You’ve seen enough of that in your life, I guess I just didn’t want to give you anymore.” With that he reached over and placed a gentle kiss on her lips. “Lets go, we have a long night ahead of us.
With that they headed to the charity even that would turn their lives upside down.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few days ago


“Scott, Please come in have a seat. I just received a phone call from Warren. It seems he’s having a charity event, some kind of fundraiser in L.A. Apparently there will be high profile people there and he wants some extra security. I want you to assemble the team, and Logan will be joining you.”

“Professor do you think that he is ready, I mean he only did just get back a week ago.”

“Yes I realize that. He’s ready, it’s been a long year for him, you may not know this even he doesn’t but he needs us, as much as we need him. Feeling useful, does wonders Scott you should know that.”

“Yes professor. I will have the team ready”.

With that Scott left hoping that the professor was right. As true as the words rang, he couldn’t help but feel uneasy about entire situation, something just didn’t sit well with him. Maybe it was his need to have everything perfectly ironed out before a mission. And Wolverine was anything but cookie cutter, always pushing the boundaries. He envied that, there were times that he wanted nothing more than to run and never look back, the ghosts of his past always knocking on his door. No one realized how hard it was to be the person everyone looked up to, that was expected to always be there.
He was tired so very tired.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Chapter End Notes:
Okay so next chapter Logan and Rogue will come face to face! again I will try my best for a happy ending but no promises, unless there's an uproar!!!