Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, so we ended on a good note, right? Rogue broke things off with Bryan. Now it's time for a little Logan confrontation. Have fun with this one.
Music blared from Rogue's open windows as she pulled into the mansion's garage. She was singing along at top volume with a grin on her face. It was with equal measures of relief and disappointment that Rogue saw Logan's empty spot. She wanted a little time before their next confrontation, and yet...

Rogue forced herself to get out of the car and head up to her room. A leisurely shower and fresh shorts and T-shirt were just what she needed. Knowing that she wouldn't be able to sleep because she was just too jazzed up, Rogue crept out of her room and back downstairs in the quiet of the—mostly—sleeping mansion. She made herself a bag of popcorn, grabbed a bottle of water out of the fridge, and went into the TV room. After flipping the lights on, then realizing that it was much too bright and dimming them, she settled on the couch. Snuggling down into the comfortable cushions, Rogue flipped through the channels until she found a good thrill-and-slash movie. She hugged one of the cushions tightly, legs tucked underneath her, and prepared to enjoy the show.

Halfway through the movie, just as the usual stupid heroine, blond and busty of course, was about to be caught by the apparently telepathic villain who always manged to find her, a large hand clamped down over Rogue's mouth. Her scream muffled by the hand, she jumped up and turned her skin on automatically, a reflex she had been practicing. Rogue felt the draw even as she pulled away. The vague presence in her mind was all too familiar.

“Logan, how many times do you want me to be pissed at you for sneaking up on me this week?” Rogue hissed, turning to glare at the man behind her who was shaking his hand a little. Good, it must have stung. “And do you have a death wish or something tonight?” Chest heaving at the thought of what she might have done to him, Rogue dropped back onto the couch and stared at the screen without really paying attention to what was going on anymore. She crossed her arms as she switched off her power.

“Good reflexes, darlin'. I just wanted to make sure you wouldn't scream too loud and wake up the whole house,” was all Logan said as he came around to sit beside her. Rogue could feel the heat of his skin as his arm brushed hers, and she allowed herself a small shiver, although she was still angry with him.

They sat there staring at the TV for a few minutes, neither one really seeing it. Finally Logan turned his head to look at her and said, “Thought you went out tonight.” She felt his gaze on her face but refused to meet it.

“I did. I decided to make it an early night,” Rogue said, pretending to take great interest in the movie for her pride's sake if nothing else. In truth, despite the irritation still sizzling through her, it felt much too good to be sitting next to him, arms and thighs barely touching.

“First time in a while,” was his only comment after a moment.

Rogue gritted her a teeth a little. “You have a problem with me getting a social life finally, sugar?” she asked, making a point of casually turning her head to look at him, eyebrow raised in a subconscious imitation of his.

Logan frowned a little before replying. “Maybe,” he said eventually.

Rogue's stare turned incredulous. “Really? You think it was better for me to walk around covered up like a fucking mummy?!” She only just managed to keep her voice low at the last second, but there was plenty of heat there.

“Yes.” Now Logan sounded irritated, too, and in the glow of the television his face took on a stubborn cast she remembered only too well. “It was better than watching anything with a dick panting after you, with you barely wearing a stitch of clothing.”

Rage pounded in Rogue's ears and gave her an instant headache. “Almost anything, you mean! What fucking right do you have to tell me what I should or shouldn't be wearing? Last I checked, sugar, we're not related, so get over the protective bullshit already,” she growled, starting to jump back up. His hand on her wrist stopped her, and she just looked down at it and then back into his eyes, glaring to keep back the tears that wanted to fall. Oh, god, was that all his stares had been about? Stupid fucking protective instincts? Rogue wasn't sure if she wanted to scream or cry more.

Screaming would have won, but Rogue kept herself in check and simply shoved a finger into his chest instead. “I don't belong to you, Wolverine, no matter what you might think. I have only myself to answer to right now, and I happen to enjoy going out and having a good time instead of sitting around this damn school wondering who I'll come close to killing next!”

Logan pulled her closer with a growl of his own. “What the fuck do you mean by 'almost,' Rogue? You're damn right we're not related, and it's a good thing because I sure as hell noticed you and all that bare skin!” His eyes racked her up and down, almost leaving a tangible trail of fire. “I also noticed you didn't bother waiting for me to catch up, either, before you were jumping in bed with the first willing fucker to cross your path!”

They were on their feet by then, not yelling but both furious. Rogue didn't mean for it to happen. It was like her hand lifted of its own accord and cracked, palm to cheek, against Logan's face with all the strength she had left. Then she turned to stalk out, but he caught her by the arm and swung her back around to face him. Rage and hurt mingled in her dark eyes, she glared up at him in the moments before his mouth captured hers, lips burning as they struggled to consume each other. When Rogue felt herself responding, felt her body pressing willingly against his, she jerked away and stared at him for a long moment before turning and finally making it to the door. When she was in the doorway she looked back at him and fired one more shot at the bastard standing there almost visibly restraining himself from strangling her.

“Maybe you would have noticed in time to do something about it if you hadn't been chasing someone else's woman. You're sure one to talk about my sex life, Logan. At least I was honest with Bryan. We both knew what we were in it for. Have you been as honest?” With that she ran upstairs to her room, slammed the door and locked it, then proceeded to cry herself to sleep.

She didn't see Logan sitting in the hall outside her room as she wept, tears of anger and frustration at his own stupidity there but refusing to fall as he clenched and unclenched his fists. When her breathing finally attained the deep rhythms of sleep, he stood up, stared at her door for several long minutes, and then went to find his own bed and try to sleep away the pain inside of him.
Chapter End Notes:
I really thought they needed to have this one out. Yes, they each said things they will probably regret in the morning, although the evil side of me thinks that Rogue is almost completely in the right here. What do you think? To give you a little hint of what's to come, the next country song to influence this, and the name of the next chapter, is "Get Off On The Pain." :-D