Author's Chapter Notes:


I was only going to do Logan’s point of view but I thought you’d all lynch me if you didn’t find out what happened to Marie after she stormed out! It was actually really hard for me to make Gambit a bit of an ass, as he’s one of my favorite X-men, and sorry if I messed up with the accent wanted to keep him true to his character but I kept trying to speak like that, and it’s even harder to write.
The Wolverine I pictuerd for this chapter was
http://siamfoundation.org/movies/uploaded_images/marvel-encyclopedia-wolverine-1-100k-743509.jpg
Chapter 4 You Gotta Go There To Come Back


Desperately needing a shower to wash away the sterile and aesthetic smell from the infirmary, Logan headed to his room.

Jumping into an ice cold shower, using his non scented soap, wishing that he could just as easily wash away his guilt. Satisfied that he no longer smelled like a hospital, shutting off the shower and quickly drying himself off. He stepped in front of the bathroom mirror, not bothering with a shave his usually wild hair was long and touched his shoulders, his trademark mutton chops were on the verge of mountain man. It didn’t matter, nothing mattered anymore. The past years were like a blur, raiding one lab then the next, yet the memories were still so fresh.


~flashback~

Marie headed straight for the closet to hang her dress, she jumped when door slammed shut.

Logan was not so quietly seething. As Marie started her usual nightly ritual, knowing that she wasn’t going to start talking, he moved towards her and pinned her to the dresser.

“He had his damn hands all over you Marie”.

“It’s called sparring Logan, he asked me to help with his class demonstration.

“He was flirting with you”.

“He flirts with everyone, it’s in his genes, much like someone I know”.

Logan balked at her was she really serious, why couldn’t she see what was right in front of her. This was seriously getting out of hand. All he wanted was to take her far far away from here, maybe a vacation. Last year in Alberta had been has been paradise, just him and Marie in a Cabin in the middle of nowhere, with no X-men, no missions, and especially no French Cajun’s, poking their heads where they did not belong.

“You ain’t going”

“excuse me, I don’t think I heard you right”.

“You ain’t going”.

“You can’t be serious Logan, what the hell’s gotten into you, your acting more barbaric than usual. I’m not your property”.

“the hell you ain’t”.

“Okay, I’m going to try and stay calm, as you are clearly out of your mind. Your being completely unreasonable. Listen carefully cause I’m only saying this once, you don’t get to tell me where I can or can’t go, or whom my friends are. Now that we’ve established your not my father. Let’s move along.

You’ve made it crystal clear that YOU WILL NOT go to, and I quote any pansy, fancy, swanky event, involving any kind of suit. I’m not going on some kind of date, the entire team is going, might I add to an event for the school in which we live”.

The had quickly gone from bad to worse. He’d seen the “class demonstration“, how that slimy cajun’s hands lingered on her body on places they had no business being. Marie had been completely oblivious to the wondering hands and wasn’t even aware that Logan was watching. Just as he’d had enough the cajun caught his gaze and smirked just enough to let Logan know his intentions. Turning around, Logan stalked straight for the danger room, and must have skinned the holographic cajun at least a hundred different ways before his bloodlust was stated for the time being.

He spent the rest of the afternoon in the garage alternating between trying to fix one of the cars and pacing waiting for his better half to return.

It was just after dinner that Marie was pulling into the garage in her jeep no sooner was she out, and Logan had her pinned to the door and had her moaning in his mouth.

When had he lost control of the situation he still couldn’t figure it out one moment he’s making out with his girl the next he’s trailing after her giving Remy his suit for tomorrow, while having to listen to Gambit’s third person gibberish which despite his healing factor always gave him a headache.

Logan zoned in on Marie looking her right in the eye. If he had to shackle her to the bed he would, but he wasn’t letting her any where that son of a bitch could get his paws on her. Why didn’t she just ask him to go, she knew he’d do anything for her, anything. He’d wear the stupid suit, and make nice with all the old hags at the ball. As long as they were together he really didn’t care. But of course instead of saying any of that he decided to let Wolverine the barbarian do all the talking

“What the hell Marie, he’s all over you, and you just let him. You trying to get into his pants”.

Before he even finished the sentence he regretted his words. The look in her eyes, he was definitely going to pay for that.

“Marie, I’m sor……” instead of the fury that he expected she did a complete 180.

“I’m goin out to get some air before I say something I’ll regret”.

Logan tried to reach for her but she easily avoided his half heart attempt. The door slammed shut for a second time that night. Why was he so hell bent on destroying the only thing that mattered in his life, maybe he was the monster everyone thought he was. He wanted to run after her, tell her he was sorry that he didn’t mean it, but the salt in the air was like an albatross on his chest. He’d done that, he’d made her cry. He hoped she be back soon. He’d make it up to her, maybe make her touch him so she could see what was going on in his head. He couldn’t loose her, he couldn’t.


~End Flashback~


He couldn't stand the eyes that started back at him they accused him, instead of an I love you and I want you, the last thing he‘s said to her he‘d practically called her a whore. No longer able to hold his own gaze he shattered the mirror with his fist.

Glass now littered the bathroom sink, the cuts on his hand already healing, but this time when he looked up at his webbed reflection it was a perfect image of his tattered soul. How one decision has changed the entire course of his life, if only he’d gone after her, he knew that there was no way they would have gotten their hands on her. The guilt was so strong even after all this time.

Washing the blood off his hands, Logan quickly changed and made his way to the conference room, with only one thought, the same thought he’d had for the past two years. Maybe just maybe he'd finally find her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally gathered Cyclops looked over his team and meticulously went over the plan, and the backup plan, leaving no room for error.

"Storm, you'll lead Angel, ShadowCat, and Psylocke. You'll be to the north side of the building, there are some generators, we believe that's what is powering the entire structure. It's late so personnel will be light. Psylocke scan for any guards and put them out for a few hours. ShadowCat first thing scan for silent alarms, infrared and any other electronic devices, make sure to have everything disabled, once you give the okay Jean will come up with her team. You're also the back up if things go south you're the fist to get back to the blackbird, it needs to be ready for take off”.

“Jean show your credentials, the professor has set it up so it looks like your brining in a mutant. Nightcrawler you're the decoy."

Handing Jean a manila folder he continued.

"Background story: Mutant Name: John Doe; obvious mutation; on suicide watch. You can read the rest on the way there. Gambit you're the muscle make sure to have your glasses. And Iceman your Dr. Bradford, a colleague".

"There's a service entrance to the west side. That's where myself, Beast, Colossus, Wolverine and Jubilee will enter. A satellite scan indicated a series of air shafts under the south/west area. However the registered blue prints give no indication of this, we believe that's where they are keeping the mutants.

We get in Jubilee and Colossus will hack into their main frame upload all medical files and destroy what ever copies they may have".

"Wolverine, Beast and I will head to where the mutants are kept. One last thing the professor thinks that Rogue might be there".

The room was utterly silent, they knew that all this time there were looking for her but, they'd never been this close.

"Let's go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wolverine sat in the back of the black as always, practically throwing daggers at that damned cajun, wishing he really had taken his head off. He was closed his eyes and thoughts of better times with Marie played in his head.

Across the plan Gambit could feel a pair of feral eyes burning into the back of his head, he didn’t care. They finally had a solid lead on where Rogue might be, he himself had used every contact and resource he knew to try and get a location but had come up empty handed. The only reason he stayed at the mansion was in hopes they they’d get a lead that might ultimately find her. His own guilt at the part he had played in the events of her abduction flashed in his mind, no one short of the professor knew what happened, he’s pretty sure that the animal sitting in the back there would have skewered him long ago had he known.

~Flashback~

After Marie had dropped of his suite for tomorrow’s charity event, and watching her with the wolfman he decided he need a Whiskey on the rocks, what she saw in that caveman he’d never understand.

Cradling his drink he saw a flash of person head out through the back to the patio, he smiled he knew those white streaks, looks like hairy messed up. Being a thief had it’s advantages as he stealthy followed the figure out into the night.

She looked like a Greek goddess sitting under the moon light with her hair blowing he was completely awe struck, it wasn’t until he heard her soft sniffling that he realized she was crying. He quickly sat next to her.

“dis seat taken”

“no”

“You want to talk about it petit”.

“Not really, just a difference of opinion”.

“Awe, so it was Mr. caveman, he de one make those tears come on dat pretty face”.

She turned towards him and frowned “Don’t call him that. We were just having a difference of opinion, that’s all it happens, you might know that if you gave a relationship a try”.

“No thanks dis Cajun, he too much of a wild card to have anyone try and make a claim, ain’t no one who would want a theif like dis. Not many girls out there dey want to take the bad ones home, no. Besides cher, there only one girl for Remy LaBeau, and she already taken”.

“Oh Remy don’t talk like that, you have a good heart. And who ever she is, she doesn’t deserve you, there are plenty of women out there that would love you. You just have to give them a chance I know for a fact there’s a certain weather goddess that makes googly eyes at you “.

Gambit smirked he’d noticed Storm from the second he walked in here, how could you knot she was gorgeous, curves in the right places, kind and gentle. But the second he’d laid eyes on Rogue, he’d been domed to an unrequited love. There was just something about her, at first things seemed to be going great, he was always there for her, but then the hairy baboon come back and it was clear as day, that she was in love with Logan. He could never take away that light in her eyes as much as in pained him admit, Logan was the one responsible for the glow in her soul. He’d tried to lose himself in other women but the feeling were just not there. Maybe it was time to give it one more shot, heck he didn’t have anything to loose.

“True the weather goddess is a nice sight on de eyes, but someone took dis cajun heart and hasn’t give it back”.

Gambit thought it was do or die, he just couldn’t be the best friend anymore it was killing him. He wiped the last remaining tear off her cheek and leaning in, he’d barely brushed his lips on hers, when he was roughly pushed off the bench and landing right on his ass.

“What the hell was that”. She was heaving and the look she pinned him with could have killed.

“Merde, …….Rogue I’m”

“Oh my god please tell me it’s not me, pleas tell me this was a mistake”.

Gambit looked everywhere but her face, for all his finesse, he was at a loss at what to do, of all the reaction this was not one he expected.

“Logan was right, he was right and I’ve been such a bitch to him about you. I can’t belive this”.

Gambit got up and tried reaching for her but she jerked back like she’d been stung, it hurt him to his core, she just stared at him and surely enough those tears were gathering again.

“Rogue, please just listen to me, Remy loved you from the second his eyes saw you”. He tried to take a few steps towards her.

“Just leave me alone Gambit”. Rogue took off towards the woods. He waited outside hoping that when she came back she’d be calm enough to talk. That was the last time he’d seen her, and hour later all hell broke loose, the siren’s were going off someone had breached the perimeter, by the time the X-men reached the lake, there was no sign of Rogue only a swift struggle.

~End Flashback~

Gambit closed his eyes, and wished that he’d never said anything, just have been the friend she needed. All he wanted was for her to be safe and sound, even if it was in the arms of another man. He knew what it was like to be tested on, and fighting for your life, and the last thing he ever wanted was for Rogue to be going through the same thing. He hoped the would find her, and if they didn’t he’d keep looking. He’d never stop.

Chapter End Notes:
This chapter was accidentally deleted off my computer, so sorry for the late post. All mistakes are my own so if there's any beta's volunteering let me know!!! Some mentined it was a little confusing so heres a time line to help:
Time Line
2 years after X1: Marie is 19yrs Logan comes back
4 years later Marie 23 yrs. is abducted
She's held captive for 2 years: The Patient begins
1 year later Marie 26 and that is where chapter 4 of the Patient begins.