Author's Chapter Notes:
this was going to be part of Logan's flashback but I couldn't figure out how to incorporate Marie's point of view. So instead we go back in time, the rest of the flashback's in the chapters to come will solely be Logan's POV. hope you enjoy this trip down memory lane.
Chapter 3 Remembering the Past Gives Power to the Present




Man... cannot learn to forget, but hangs on the past: however far or fast he runs, that chain runs with him. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche




Two Years Earlier


The last thing Logan expected to come home to was the team on a mission, including Marie. He'd been gone for two years, and had more questions than answers, but at least he had a name, one that he wanted to share with only one person.

Pacing outside of Cerebro where the professor was telepathically following the team. Apparently the FOH in Wyoming had decided to kidnap a pair of kid mutant brothers. The X-men were sent to rescue them from their head quarters.

Logan was still shocked he couldn't believe she was on the team, was she even old enough?

The professor had informed him that Rogue was old enough to make her own decisions, and as an adult they had to respect her wishes. His assurances that she'd been thoroughly trained by Cyclops and various others, did little to comfort him. The thought of her being hurt tugged at his gut, not really able to put a name to the emotions that he was feeling.

The waiting was driving him insane, he need a cold beer badly enough to make his way to the kitchen and find Scott's stash of crappy beer, he easily downed half the bottle in a single gulp.

His senses easily picked up the voices that floated by.


"Come on Scott you can finish the reports in the morning, it's late and we're both exhausted".


Before Scott could protest his fiancé's pleading Logan interrupted "Where is she. She'd better be in one piece bub".

"Hello to you as well Logan, and thank you so much for returning my bike".

"Your bikes fine, cut the crap and tell me where Rogue is". Logan was on the verge of using his claws to intimidate, his patience was running very thin.

Scott didn't bother to reply, making a quick exit to the garage and check on his baby. He waited 741 days now, another second was simply not acceptable.

Taking pity on him Jean swiftly replied " she's in the infirmary with Beast, before you go berserker on us, she's fine. Oh and it's nice to have you back Logan, I'm sure Rogue will be happy to see you again". She went trailing after Scott.

Logan didn't waste a single moment and headed straight for the med-bay, and wasn't he in for the surprise of his life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"I'm fine Remy just a scratch, Hank said it wasn't very deep".

"You got stitches Cher, you should let me make it better for you". Remy gently caressed her cheek as he tucked a stray strand of her platinum streaks behind her ear.

Marie sighed, Remy LeBeau had been a welcome distraction. With his charming personality and chiselled good looks, he was lusted after by most of the female population. He walked on the other side of the law, but his heart was in the right place, mostly.

At first there had been a undeniable attraction. They’d even gone out a few times, the cajun was quite charming and a pretty good kisser. However before things got serious the Ms. Marvel incident happened, things quickly cooled, and in the aftermath he had proved to be her best friend. He’d been by her side when she was crazed out of her mind and held her head when she was so sick that she was praising the porcelain god all night.

But she’d know from the beginning that things were purely platonic, there was something not quite right, something was missing.

“What the hell is going on” Wolverine was snarling and ready to pounce, he couldn’t believe his eyes, some smiley french toad had his hands on his property, and why wasn’t he a twitching mess on the floor. It’s like he’d walked into an episode of the twilight zone.

It was like the men were frozen, both holding their breath as Rogue looked toward Logan. The events of the past two years flashed through her mind and her eyes gave off that haunted look, they always seemed to have, as if a million years had passed through her. So many emotions passed through her. Uncertain at first she slowly slid off the exam table and made her way over to where Logan stood. Not even caring for his angry stance she looked into his eyes and what started off as a smirk turned into a beautiful smile, lighting up her entire face, her green eyes came alive right in front of him.

“well aren’t you a sight for soar eyes sugah”.

Her voice that was thick like honey, and just like that with a smile she had melted the Wolverine. He could feel the red haze clear, his focus solely on the beauty before him. Before he could form a solid sentence let alone a coherent thought, Remy thought it was a perfect moment to re-establish his presence, as it seemed they’d both forgotten about him.

Sliding over beside Rogue and gently grabbing her hand he gently raised it to his lips and placed a soft hiss on it, making her blush like always.

“Well cher, I take my leave as I can see you’re in quite capable hands”.

“Oh, I’m so sorry, Remy this is Logan, Logan this is Remy, my best friend”.

Both men just nodded to each other as Remy strode out. Logan could smell the disappointment and sadness roll off the french man in waves, he never did tell Marie.


Chapter End Notes:
the next chapter will pick up where we left off in the previous chapter (the time I kill, is Killing me.)

Not sure if I should include Logan/Marie smut in the next chapter any feedback?????