Author's Chapter Notes:

I wanted this chapter to reflect a little on how Scott is trying to protect the team but Logan as well.
The tragedy of life is what dies inside a man while he lives. Albert Schweitzer




One Week Later


“He can’t keep going on like this”.

“I know, but there isn’t much we can do”.

Scott closed his tired eyes pinching the bridge of his nose, it had been a long chaotic two years.

They’d raided more labs than ever before and every time they turned out empty handed (sans Rogue), Wolverine would go out and get beyond drunk (even for a feral who had a healing factor) and end up a bloody broken pulp.

This one had been pretty bad, even by Wolverine standards. His healing factor has maxed out, and he’d been out for a week now. If something didn’t change soon, they’d loose whatever was left of Logan.

Groaning Logan came to yet again in the white sterile room. Knowing instantly where he was. The same place he always ended up, cold and alone.

“I’m fine”. Didn’t they realize that he could hear everything they were saying.

Scott sighed, he’d hoped that Logan would be out for a few more days, or even just a few more hours.

Beast immediately went into doctor mode.

“You most certainly are not fine. You need at least another few days of bed rest and a healthy diet”.

Logan sat up and pulled out the various electrodes and IV that he was hooked up to.

“I said I was fine”.

“You’ve been unconscious for a week Logan, you most certainly are not fine”.

Cracking his neck, in true Logan fashion he calmly walked out of the infirmary without uttering a word to anyone.


“I was hoping he’d be out longer”.
“I’m afraid I do not understand”.

“I just finished speaking with the professor, he’s got a new location. It’s a mental facility this time. There have been reports of strange mutant suicides. The professor thinks that Rogue might be there”.

“I still do not understand, wouldn’t this be good new. As far as I know, we’ve never had such a promising lead on Rogue‘s whereabouts”.

“The past two years has been………….” Scott struggled to get his wording right.

“difficult. You know as well as I do that this is the latest stunt in a long cycle of erratic behaviour. The last mission, Wolverine went feral, once there was no sign of Rogue the threatened one of the survivors. He almost took a chunk out of Gambit when he tried to hold him back. Colossus has to hold him back so Jean could use the tranq on him”.

“I see you fear his reaction if this turns out to be another dead end”.

“I want you to be ready, I need the whole team with me on this one. The professor has detected quite a few mutants. I need you ready, when Logan starts to loose control. Right now he’s a danger to himself and the team. If I had it my way I wouldn’t even bring him, but let’s face it, there isn’t a force on earth that could keep him away from any chance that we might find her. We meet in 1 hour, lay out the plan and then we’re off.

“I’ll be ready”.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


In the Kitchen Logan was loading on as much carbs as he could get his hands on.

“Logan”

“Ro”

Ororo was having her herbal tea, as she silently observed her team member. Despite his mutation there were signs of aging. His face was more haggard, there was a constant scowl on his face masking his once handsome face, making him look mean and even cruel at times. After Rogue had disappeared, Logan had become distant and completely unreachable. Instead of tearing into people as they had expected, he’d shut everyone out. The only times that he released his angry was in the danger room and on missions. It broke her heart to see her friend suffering so much.

Just as Ororo was gathering her thoughts to reach out and say something to him, Scott walked in.

“Storm, Wolverine”.

Both members immediately recognizing his commander voice.

“Storm would you gather the rest of the team, 30 minutes in the conference room, thank you”.

Ororo eyed Scott carefully, hoping to convey the right message. She really hoped there wouldn’t be any blood shed.

Ororo was barely out the door “Save it one eye, I’m fine and I’m coming”.

“If I though that my speeches would stop you from coming, I’d never stop speaking to you, as much as a chore that, that would be”.

“Then spit it out, I know you want to say something, I can smell it on you”.

“Do you remember anything from the last mission. You jeopardized the mission and endangered the whole team. Not to mention you nearly decapitated Gambit”.

“What do you want an apology. I was trying to get some important information, he should have know better than to get in my way”.

“Do you even hear yourself. Look I can’t stop you from self destructing, God knows I’ve tried, but it’s my job to lead this team and ensure it’s safety even from an inside threat. I’m giving you fair warning, you step outta line like that again and I’ll take you out myself. You need to get your damn head on straight, you’re no good to anyone like this Logan”.

Wolverine snarled and was off his chair and in Scott‘s face “Fuck you Summers, you God damn boy scout, who are you to pass judgement on me”.

With a calm not possible for most who were faced with the Wolverine Scott bite back.

“When you turn on us, and try to take out one of your own, it’s a problem”.

Wolverine had the grace to look ashamed.

Scott started to walk out “We’re your family Logan, your completely out of control and you don’t even know it”.

Logan didn’t turn to face him, he sighed and closed his eyes “What do you want me to say. If it was Jean, you’d do the same thing. You’d never stop looking, you’d tear down anything and anyone that got in your way. And you know what I’d be there helping you”.

Scott turned his head just a fraction “I know”, and walked out.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed well find out what happened to Rogue through Logan’s memories in the coming chapters.