Author's Chapter Notes:
hello there all! have been trying to update this damn thing all week, so fingers crossed that this works. And may i send shout-outs and many thanks to notmyself (you're making me blush...though i'm irish, not british...)comic-cake, rogue91, cherryblossom104, wanderlust,solidae,moviemom44 and amara nevena malfoy for their reviews. Cheers lads! And now, fingers crossed, we get on with the torture... ahem, story...

Disclaimer: This fan fiction is not written for profit and no infringement of copyright is intended.

CHAPTER FIVE: WHOLE LOTTA REMY

Xavier Mansion, Westchester

24 Hours Later

Marie realised that bringing Callum was a bad idea (okay, she admitted that bringing Callum was a bad idea) about two seconds after they pulled up to the house.

Her reason could be summed up in two words: Remy LeBeau.

Because Gambit was waiting for them on the front steps, wearing his biggest grin and his biggest belt buckle. Looking dishevelled and handsome and devil-may-care. Needless to say it was not a combination which endeared him to the average boyfriend, as he well fucking knew-

And if he didn’t, the look on Callum’s face should sure as Hell have clued him in.

Remy clearly didn’t care none though. Marie fought the urge to roll her eyes: Soon as they pulled up to the Mansion in Callum’s rented Honda Civic (he’d scoffed at her offer of calling Warren and asking for a lend of the Porsche XL) Marie had felt her boyfriend clench up. And Remy’s sex-on-a-stick grin was making it worse. There wasn’t a man alive didn’t get his boxers in a twist the first time they met Gambit: From his I’m-picturing-your-girlfriend-naked-(and-she-likes-it) grin to the have-a-nun’s-panties-off-in-a-second accent, Remy was, as Jubie used to put it, the Perfect Bomb. He was the man your Momma warned you about, and he knew it. Even Logan hadn’t been too fond of him in the beginning: He’d had to save Jubilee from fifteen Sentinels and a Friends of Humanity militia group before the Wolverine could be persuaded to rethink his opinion of the Cajun-

And by the looks of things Callum was having the exact same reaction, just a little less impressively. Which made the Wolverine in her head snicker a bit.

Callum crossed his arms over his chest then, obviously trying for intimidating- But coming up woefully short. Even Bobby did butch better than that, Marie mused, and that was saying something. Gambit’s grin grew wider- smugger- when he saw Callum’s reaction and not for the first time in their acquaintance Marie fought the urge to smack him. She glared at him, wearing her best Seriously, dude? face, daring him to say anything.

His smile grew wider still.

“It’s good t’see you again, petite,” he drawled then, holding out his arms to her. Marie didn’t really feel like hugging the sonofabitch, but she’d always liked Gambit, and he was practically family. So she put her arms around her neck, pulling him close despite Callum’s rolled eyes and “humph!” And hugging him. She gestured to the other man and Remy politely held his hand out.

“You must be de boyfriend,” the Cajun drawled, “Hein?”

The man didn’t take his hand, and she felt a surge of embarrassment that he would be so childish. Imagine if it were Logan he were meeting, she thought, and instantly pushed the thought away. There was no way that would come off without a body-count. “Callum Montgomery,” she said instead, trying to be diplomatic, “Meet Remy LeBeau-”

His tone was the prissier side of sarcastic. “That’s actually his name?”

Marie winced, and once again she heard the sound of Logan’s snickering in her head.

Remy took pity on her. “Oui, dat’s mah name,” he said with forced politeness. “Remy LeBeau, gentleman thief and husband o’ Miss Jubilation Lee.” Again he held out his hand, his wedding band flashing in the light. “Mah wife was detained, she talking t’Storm,” he explained, more to Marie than Callum, “But she be along shortly.” He shot Marie another smile. “She an’ your girl here practically sisters, she looking forward to meeting you.”

And he shot Marie a pointed look, since they both knew that Ju-Ju Bean would definitely have an opinion on this and nobody would get away without hearing it.

You know the offer to help with his murder is still open, the Wolverine in her head growled. You just gotta ask me-

And for what felt like the thousandth time that day Marie pushed the thought away.

Gambit smiled and turned back into the house then, gesturing for Callum to follow him. Putting his hand on the small of Marie’s back just for devilment and earning another “humph,” from her boyfriend. She shook her head though she didn’t throw him off: She knew Gambit too well to play into his hands and react. Instead she accidentally stood on his foot, earning a hiss of pain and then a snicker. Callum glared, looking put-out, not even cracking a smile and once again her inner Logan repeated his offer to help arrange his death. Had Callum always been so humourless? She wondered- And then pushed away her inner Logan’s resounding response of Yes! Her boyfriend stomped into the house more like an invading force than a guest, shooting vicious looks all around. A couple of the smaller kids scattered at his entrance, but a tiny reptilian-looking boy stuck his tongue out and kicked him in the shin- Then teleported away. Callum looked horrified.

Home sweet home, Marie thought then.

Remy stifled a snort of laughter, and once again it struck her humourless her boyfriend was. What else did he expect in a house full of under-age mutants? And it wasn’t as if the boy had even broken skin. Marie shook her head to herself, trailing the two men into the Mansion, and as she did so she was assailed by a host of memories- Most of them good. Her, Jubes and Kitty laughing in their Prom dresses. Her’n Bobby thumb-wrestling, the first guy who’d ever convinced her that lethal, life-sucking skin or no she was still loveable. Logan watching her, smiling lazily, arms crossed across his massive chest, something in his expression she hadn’t a word for-

And instantly she pushed that memory aside. Viciously.

She wouldn’t remember that, she wouldn’t.

Not after what he’d done to her.

She was so intent on repressing that she didn’t even notice Jubes standing in front of her until chica cleared her throat, little stick-like arms crossed haughtily. Her face like a thunder-clap, just rearing to go. She shot Remy a dazzling smile, kissing him lightly, and then focussed her most kick-ass gaze on Marie. It made Callum skitter backwards just on general principles but she barely spared him a look.

“Hey, Jubie,” Marie muttered. “You’re looking good.”

The compliment didn’t deflect her.

“Thanks, Roguey,” Jubilee retorted dryly. “I knew that. Now do you mind telling what the fuck is going on?”