Author's Chapter Notes:
Hello there!! Been a long time hasn't it? I want to take this time to thank all of you who reviewed, and who follow this little story of mine.

This chapter might be a little darker than the others, so if you're not comfortable with borderline situations, don't read; this might be a little disturbing.
For the rest of you, well, enjoy!

PS: I still own nothing (sadly)...
A single flash will pass between us
Like a long sob, charged with farewells


Charles Baudelaire, “La mort des amants” (The death of the lovers)






She slowly opened her eyes, letting every fiber of her body taking in the feel of the man intimately pressed against her. Logan. With every passing second Rogue remembered the previous night’s events, all the sensations bountifully poured upon her, all the love that they had made for hours, until neither of them could move; overcame. Yes, she thought, it was love, no matter what the circumstances may have been the man above her was the man she loved, the other part of her soul. And now, lying next to him, it almost felt like everything was right with the whole world. The young woman registered movement on her arm, the caress of a hand warming her skin and she marveled at the feel of warm bare flesh gliding over hers. Rogue didn’t really care how it came to happen at the moment, the time for worries would come soon enough. Now was the time for something else she couldn’t identify yet, so much greater than her that it triggered feelings that didn’t belong to this world; more than this world. Giving in to the sheer power of the thunder storm of emotions threatening to consume her, she started to speak the only language she could muster at the moment, a language made of gentle caresses and soft moans, warm kisses and tender gazes.



“Logan?” Marie murmured in the darkness, voice pleading, searching for what, she didn’t really know.



“Hey… Marie.” came the soft answer from the man tightening his embrace around her.



Marie suddenly burst into tears, seeing recognition and intelligence settle in Logan’s warm hazel eyes. He actually talked! He could talk, he had recognized her! Soon it became impossible for the young woman to process any further thought, her mind overwhelmed by one and only thing: *Her* Logan was back.



“Hush baby, I’m here now. I’m here… Marie, God, I missed you so much!”



Logan couldn’t deny his tears any longer. He cried shamelessly in his young lover’s welcoming arms, wishing to change space and time, to undo all the decisions that had brought them in this Hell. Frantic eyes, almost black in the darkness searched his face, trying to find there the reassurance that it would soon be all over, that they would be safe again. But suddenly their expression changed, from plea to pure agony contorting their owner’s features into a mask Logan barely recognized; his Marie held all the weight of her mind’s age and that only made his heart freeze in his chest.



“Logan, we have to get out of here… They want something with us! It’s bad…Logan, it’s… We can’t let them! We got to get away!”



“Baby, Marie, I know… I won’t let them hurt you, you hear me? I won’t let them!”



“I know. Logan… What if it was…?”



Refusing to even think about it, Logan cut her. “No, it’s not too late, it’s not…” But the rest of his sentence remained stuck in his throat. Oh God, how could he? In his quest for solace and oblivion he had let himself cross that line with Marie, the very thing why he had fled from the mansion in the first place. Yet, Logan refused to believe that a child could have been conceived last night; not in a place like this, not like this he thought bitterly, his face reflecting Marie’s agony. Oh God, please no!



“Logan, there’s a possibility… That’s why they brought me in here with you… I’m sorry Logan, so sorry. I should have…”



“Hey, now baby you listen to me. We don’t know for sure, and I’m sure they don’t either.”



“But they’re going to keep trying! They’ll drug you again, until you no longer know who you are, they’ll make us do it anyway Logan! We have to leave this place!”



Wolverine knew his mate was right, and Logan felt powerlessness creep its way up his limbs, making it hard to move, hard to breathe. He knew they had to get out, but how?


The air around him suddenly became heavy, making each intake a struggle. His lungs burned, his chest starting to heave harder and harder, until Logan started to gasp for a breath, his eyes huge and glazed over. Something was terribly wrong there. Rogue instinctively reached for him, touching his face and calling his name in a desperate attempt to know what was happening to him. Suddenly it hit him. The gas… They were infusing it in the already clamped and stale air of the cell, making it overpowering. A few more intakes of this air and he was going to be feral again…Maybe it was already too late. So with the last threads of sanity he had, he choked the few words that mattered now: “Marie, get away from here…Get away from me!”



Get away? Where, why? The cell was locked; there was no ways of escape! No, I won’t leave you here, Rogue thought, her eyes focused on her lover.



“Logan what’s wrong? Talk to me!”



A deep and threatening growl was Rogue’s sole answer. Too startled to back away, she watched Logan, or should she have said Wolverine, lung towards her, pinning her under his heavy frame and inhaling deeply. The young girl smelled of sex and sweat and him; *HIM*! Yes, he knew her… Her soft skin and her doe eyes, and her scent! Everything in him started to coil and burn, steadily gathering into a pool of heat in his lower stomach and making him swell in anticipation. There was no place for thinking anymore; not when he had his mate pinned under him smelling so good he could barely keep himself from fucking her blind.



Rogue stared at the black eyes piercing her, and realization hit her like a ton of bricks. Whatever had happened moments before, it had made Logan let the beast loose, and if his growing erection was any indication, she knew what would come next. Oh no, not again, she thought; not like this! Not when they had finally found each other! Maybe if she tried to talk to him, tried to make him come back…Maybe it wouldn’t happen. Keeping Logan feral was their sole and only asset in this; knowing that the man wouldn’t take her willingly...not if he was fully aware of his surroundings. It seemed that they knew him well after all… She had to do something, now!



“Logan...? Logan, can you hear me?”



“Grrr!”



“Logan, you’ve got to fight this… You can fight this.”



His patience was running thin. She would just keep on jabbering, her eyes huge, as if she was afraid of something. Didn’t she know that she would be safe as long as he was around? He’d had enough of this articulated junk! Time for some action… She would come to it willingly, or he’d just have to put her back on the right track. She smelled of sex and him, and for the Wolverine it was enough proof of her willingness to mate. The fact that he didn’t really remember being with her barely registered, he grabbed her wrists in his huge hand, and started to position his body between his mate’sz88;legs, eliciting a whimper from her trembling lips. His breathing was still irregular and labored from the gas steadily filling the space all around them, enfolding them like a thick blanket. Rogue watched Wolverine’s muscles double in volume under her very eyes, veins popping on his neck and arms as if ready to explode. She looked, shell-shocked as two one-inch long fangs flourished from the corners of his snarling lips, and something else extremely thick, hard and scalding hot pressing against her hip. With tears glistening in her eyes, Marie tried one last time to get through to the man she loved.



“Logan, please wake up…Don’t let them win.”



The words weren’t out of her mouth yet that Rogue felt Wolverine’s thick and burning length tear inside her, the invasion so violent and sudden that all she could do was scream in pain and shock. This wasn’t happening, she thought; this wasn’t real. But each violent thrust inside her body belied this statement. Was she going to get through this? It wasn’t like the night before; Logan was gone… There was only Wolverine here. His movements soon became jerky, more punishing in their strength. The sudden potent smell of her blood brought the meaning of the word frantic to a whole new level. Wolverine was now gripping her left buttock with one hand, claws unsheathed and growling, his thrust threatening to split Rogue’s body in two. She felt her mind giving up slowly… This wasn’t real… A last earth shattering roar brought the exhausted young woman to the here and now. Before she had the time to process what was happening, she felt the skin at the junction between her neck and shoulder split and explode in a heart stopping pain, while she felt Wolverine erupt inside her, his seed like liquid fire. Marie wanted to scream, pull at her hair and cry in shame and helplessness, but Rogue suddenly shouted inside her mind: “This is real, face it! What happened is your fault, so now face it, every time it happens, face it!”



Catching her breath, head turned away from her cellmate, she willed herself not to cry. It was true… If she hadn’t been so stupid, she wouldn’t have ended up here in the first place. Logan was as much a victim as her… she had to be strong now, she had to save him, make him come back from this state they had put him in and get them out of here before they completely broke their bodies’ resistance and finally obtain the only thing those so called scientists had kept them alive for. Rogue knew for a fact that if they kept her there in this cell with Wolverine as a cellmate, it wouldn’t take long before she conceived.




Feeling everything in her ache like never before, Marie just lay on the cold floor, face averted from the “man” still breathing hard above her, when something wet and warm settled on the bite mark on her shoulder. Slowly rolling her head to the source of the sensation, she could barely control the flinch at the almost tender gesture from Wolverine. What had just happened? Was it a rape? If she was true to herself, Marie knew that it wasn’t, not really. But something in her was different now. She wasn’t actually scared, not really. Her cellmate now sated, he purred contentedly, his face buried against her throat, his arms hanging loosely around her. Marie could tell he was more than relaxed, at least he seemed to be. He wasn’t being brutal or savage right now, if anything Wolverine looked like a big kitten, nuzzling her hair and neck, occasionally licking her “love wound” in a soothing way. Marie was completely at a loss for words to explain this new development. She didn’t move, and her unresponsiveness to Wolverine’s awkward tenderness made him raise his head and blink dark puzzled eyes at her.


There was something wrong with his mate. Wasn’t she satisfied with their last mating? She looked a bit sad, and her scent was somewhat off, and she had flinched from him. It had been almost too faint to notice, but he had noticed none the least, and that made his chest tighten painfully.




******************




The Colonel Montgomery watched the green screen in complete satisfaction. Just like he thought, Wolverine had developed a tolerance to the gas he had engineered and was now assimilating it. Montgomery remembered the reports he had read about the exposition of the Mutant to two particular mortal diseases, and other mortal gas, almost killing him in their quest. A quest for what, he didn’t really know and he didn’t really care. They had the perfect toy. They could break it and put it back together in whatever shape they could imagine; Dr. Mann was their best asset in this field… and that made the grey-haired man shiver in devious elation. She and he were so alike that it sometimes scared him; he never thought a woman could be so heartless, so cold. Meg Mann was a sadist to the core, and Montgomery enjoyed every second he spent with her, whether it was in a lab or in a bedroom; the things she would think of for their main test subject sometimes made their other colleagues gag or throw up at some point. She loved inflicting pain, receiving it, and so did he. They both loved seeing hopelessness and pain, and agony, and Wolverine was perfection in flesh for that… nobody made agony and misery as beautiful as the Wolverine, and no one ever would. Or maybe his soon to be child? Who knew? , the man thought, an amused smile on his rough face.



He turned off the volume of the device, the screams coming form it now so highly pitched that it threatened to make his eardrums bleed. Montgomery suddenly turned agitated eyes toward the massive form of Wolverine on the screen. Orbs wide with trepidation he took hold of the phone resting at the other end of his desk.



“Get her out of there. Sedate him first and take blood samples from them both, I want a full report of their condition.”



“Yes, sir.” answered an anonymous voice on the other end of the line, before hanging up without further ado.



Once again focusing on the screen, the Head of the Safety Department traced a calloused finger on the body outlined before him.



“He has almost doubled in size… and just what the Hell are those?” Montgomery said to the air buzzing around him, his blunt digit now resting on one of the fangs at the corners of his prized prisoner’s lips, before he dove for his cellmate’s shoulder savagely biting her.




*********************




Rogue felt something lukewarm and sticky running down her inner thigh. She hadn’t moved an inch since Wolverine had taken her what seemed like hours before. But maybe it was only a few minutes, she thought tiredly. He was still purring and rubbing against her. She had wanted to respond somewhat to his marks of animal like affection, but she couldn’t make her limbs cooperate. So the young woman just lied there, trying to make sense of what had happened. Talking had proven fairly inefficient; maybe if she could just touch him, make him remember who she was…



“It’s useless.” Rogue said in an aguish filled sigh.



At the sound of her voice her cellmate rose from his position at her side, propping himself up on an adamantium laced elbow. He was looking at her very intently; his dark eyes searching. Rogue looked back at him with ancient eyes; tired eyes.



“Where are you Logan…? What have they done to you this time?” The young prisoner asked, her voice so low that she herself couldn’t really make it out in the enfolding silence.


Wolverine didn’t like what he was seeing, and instead of a satisfied scent, the only thing he could pick up from his mate was resignation and bone deep sorrow. He had tried to sooth her in the only way he knew, but the young girl under him had remained passive, barely breathing. His enhanced sense of smell had caught the potent smell of her blood during their mating, and that had made him even more intense in his quest for release, but deep inside Wolverine knew he had hurt his mate, and not only physically. So he kept licking at her throat, smoothing his hands on her sore body but nothing changed.

Heavy footsteps approached rapidly, the click of weapons being clearly heard. Rogue took this opportunity to smoothly rise to her feet with almost animal like grace. Her cellmate arose too, his claws slowly extending, his eyes almost boring holes in the heavy metal door at the other side of the cell. Wolverine tried to usher Rogue behind him in a gesture of protection, but she resisted the slightest bit, earning herself a warning growl. What was she thinking?



The door opened on screeching hinges, revealing eight soldiers armed with what looked like electric prods and dart guns all aimed at Wolverine. Rage blackened, almost iris less eyes watched the small army with unveiled menace, shining like two deep, black lakes in the dim light. Marie backed away to a corner behind her cellmate’s huge back couldn’t see much of anything, her ears on full alert; she readied herself to seize her chance. A sudden fierce roar erupting from the immense human form between Rogue and the soldiers made the time stand still, the force and sound of it more animal than anything she’d ever heard from him before. Her heart sank a little more at that, thinking than the man she loved was probably even further in uncharted territory than she’d originally thought. The instant presence of Wolverine’s right arm around her, molding her nude form against his back, lit a spark inside the young woman; something she never suspected existed in her. Closing her eyes, she focused on the sounds and scents filling the cell, things she had never paid attention to before. Eight heartbeats, ragged breaths and the smell of adrenaline and fear tainting the air like a cheap, vile perfume. Then there were his heartbeats: strong and calm, deep sounds that made Rogue think of an antique war drum. She concentrated on her own heartbeats, willing them to slow down, calming herself in order to act efficiently when the time would come.



“Now freaks, you can have it the hard or easy way.” said one of the guards.



At his words Wolverine tilted his head, as if trying to make sense of the words aimed at him. Roaring again, he took that momentum to swipe at the stunned guard in front of him. The armored man had barely hit the floor that a waltz of darts flew in his direction, hitting him in the chest for some and thighs and arms for the others. Seeing the scene before her, Rogue had all the pain in the world to resist the urge to fly at the guards’ throat and defend her cellmate now twitching on the cold floor. Instead she remained in the corner she was crouching in, rising slowly to her feet and keeping her arms alongside her body, palms up.



Taking no further risks, two of the men holding the prods approached her and gripped her tightly by her arms. Another one of the guards pointed a dart gun to her stomach, the image not going unnoticed by her; they knew who she was and what Logan - no, Wolverine- meant to her. The gun was pointed symbolically to her soon to be baby. Gulping down the disgust and fear rising in her throat, Rogue opposed no further resistance as the small army started to the door. Sparing one last glance at her cellmate, she followed the guards, her attention full on taking in their scents and her surroundings, the hallways, cell doors and occasional elevators, committing them all to memory, for when the time would come. Soon, she thought, soon.




******




She was back in the white room. There were needles, machines, wires and more needles decorating her ghostly white skin. Tests went on for what seemed like forever. The doctors and nurses fussing around her like crows around an injured fawn on the side of the road. Then there was this awful woman doctor, the one with cold blue eyes and platinum blond hair, looking at her like she was nothing more than an amass of cells under a microscope. The older woman’s touch was cold and clinical, taking blood samples, injecting this and that in the I.V. hooked to Rogue’s arm.



Suddenly the cold and hard stare turned almost motherly, as their owner’s hands reached a strange looking needle; a very big and strange looking needle. Without a word, Velcro straps were fastened to her wrists, ankles and waist. Strangest thing though, her knees were bent at a very awkward angle, while her feet rested on the soft bed. The young girl felt fear grip her heart. What now? she thought, on the verge of tears despite herself. She was about to move to try and press her thighs together when two of the other doctors present in the room took hold of her legs, opening them even wider. The woman doctor, a maniacal glint in her eye, took off the needle cap and approached the lengthy end towards Rogue’s body. Disgust filled her when icy, latex covered fingers caressed her intimately; she was about to vomit what little she had in her stomach. Then the clear content of the syringe was pushed inside her. Rogue remained unmoving, her muscles numbed by fear, and tears pooling in her eyes. A million questions started to rise inside her, making her unconsciously shake her head and mouth that no, it couldn’t be real, it just couldn’t.



“You should be happy, dear.” said the woman doctor, her voice soft, almost tender. “You’re going to be a mom soon. And guess what?” she added, caressing Rogue’s cheek. “No more cell for you. You’ll stay here now.”



Rogue, no more able to hold back the screams inside any longer, let a blood curdling howl fill the air of the room; a sound ripped from the depth of her soul and making the doctors and nurses around her freeze.



“NO! Logan! LOGAN!” she desperately called.



“Keep her restrained.” Said the blond woman coolly, smiling at the crying younger woman twitching on the bed. “He doesn’t hear you. And if he did, he wouldn’t even understand you. So now tell me, just between the two of us, was he that good, uh? He made you scream, didn’t he?”



“Fuck you!”



“Too bad you have to stay here now. He’s going to need some company, won’t he?”



“Don’t you fucking touch him! Don’t touch him!!”



“Temper, temper… Stupid animal won’t even see the difference.”



“What did you do to him?!”



“Nothing, really. We just made him like nature wanted him; we made him into what he’s always been but have been denying all this time. Now be a good freak and shut up before I make you.”



In her blind rage, Rogue did the only thing she could think of at the moment. Unable to move, she spat at her captor’s face, snarling menacingly.



“I’ll make you pay for that.” The young woman said, tears of frustration running down her face.



“And how will you do this, uh? Don’t be stupid.” Dr. Mann wiped at her face with her white lab coat’s sleeve. “You really should rest now. It takes a lot of energy to carry one baby, but two…”



Rogue’s eyes widened in terror. Two babies? How was it even possible? They didn’t even know for sure that she was indeed pregnant.



“You are now…Marie. What do you think I have just put inside of you, uh? Oh, and you really should watch that habit of yours; it won’t do you any good.” Dr. Mann smiled evilly.



“What the...No, you’re lying! You’re lying!” Rogue was now shaking in powerless anger, her body tense and her mouth bone dry.



“You tell yourself that, honey and we’ll get along just fine. Dinner’s at 6pm.”



The doctors filed out of the room one after the other, sparing her delighted glances. No, Rogue thought, no…
As the door closed, the young prisoner felt a sudden pang of dread tightening her chest, making it hard to breathe; the shock of the news that had just been broken to her, making her dizzy and nauseous. She thought she still had time, at least a little of it. Time to form a plan, time to get through to Logan, and escape this place before it was too late, but now… “Twins…” was her last thought before she blacked out.





*****************





He woke up strapped to a metal table. What a surprise! he thought bitterly. Slowly sweeping the space that surrounded him with his eyes, Logan tried hard to ease the feeling of dread rising inside of him. There was something very wrong here. He could smell blood, and sex and sorrow clinging to his skin; it was Marie’s blood. Moving his head, he ventured a look down his body, but felt more than saw the round shaped stain of blood on him. What happened?



“Good day Wolverine!” Interrupted an over cheery voice behind him.



Logan hadn’t caught the man’s scent, lost in thought as he was. He remained silent, refusing to play the man’s game.



“I believe you had restful sleep.”



Still no answer. The man talking remained out of sight. He smelled of something Logan hoped he would never smell in this place: triumph. He made his best not to shudder at the implication of this and the fact that his Marie was nowhere to be found and that he could smell somewhat what might have happened with her.



“Congratulations Wolverine! Your delicious girlfriend…”



“I want to see her!” cut Logan, his voice heavy with worry.



“I assure you that she is fine.”



“Yeah, right… Take me to her, I want to see for myself.”



“I’m afraid you will have to trust me for now.”



“Like Hell! Let me see her, now!”



“Why, Wolverine? Why are you so anxious? Oh… I see. You remember what you did to her, right? Poor thing looked pretty bad from where I watched. And I took you for a gentleman…”



“Fuck you! You sick bastard…”



“You will have to watch that dirty mouth of yours, Wolverine…”



“Come around here so I can see you, you son of a…”



“Keep it up, and I won’t let you see her at all before she gives birth…”



Logan stopped breathing then and there. “Birth”? Oh God, no…please, no! This wasn’t possible… it was way too early to know… How long had he been under? It couldn’t be that long!



“Oh you didn’t know? See, if you’d let me finish first… Again, congratulations.”



With that, the man snickered and turned on his heel to leave. Hearing the retreating footsteps, Logan contorted his body as far as it could go, trying to catch a glimpse of the voice owner.


“Wait!” he said, voice shaking. He never thought he would ever beg for anything in his life, but there he was, dropping the pretence, his only concern for the woman he loved more than anything.



“How… Please, let me see her… Please!”



“Now that’s unexpected…” the voice retorted, genuinely surprised at the prisoner’s sudden change of attitude.




“I’ll give you anything you want… please, just let me see her.”




“But there’s nothing you can give us that we don’t already have, Wolverine… Don’t you get it? You have nothing. You are nothing.”



The footsteps retreated without stopping this time, heedless of Logan’s cries of supplication for a chance to see his mate. He never thought he could be broken. He was wrong… Powerless rage filled sobs and screams filled the air around him, their echo bouncing off the metal walls of the morgue he was lying in.