Chapter 5.

“What you have to understand is she was the first person never to be scared of him, the first person he ever learned to trust but because of what he’d been through and the way he was because of it, he thought he wasn’t good enough for her, thought she deserved better and didn’t want to chance loosing the only good thing he said had ever happened to him. Turns out stupidity was a longstanding inbuilt trait, – well once she finally beat aforementioned stupidity out of him with the teeniest bit of help from yours truly, there was no stopping them. I even saw him smile once or twice and I’ll tell you the first time I saw it I almost fell off my chair. I was smiling at the same time though, he deserved to be happy and so did she.

Mr Logan always thought her mutation was the best gift of all.” There were a few frowns in her audience at that statement so she tried to explain. “They were meant to be in more ways than one – If ever Rogue was hurt, Mr Logan knew he could touch her and save her. She would try and stop him ‘cause according to him it hurt like a bitch, she knew it, and the last thing she ever wanted to do was hurt him, like I said – it was L.o.v.e. sweet really although sometimes annoying as hell. I mean we all knew he was as tough as old boots but she never once treated him that way. He however, as we’ve already covered is stubborn when he wants to be and she always lost. Mr Logan didn’t care, being able to give her his healing no matter what the cost was ok with him.

She was right you know. Just because he heals, well he’d already had government dr’s take full advantage of that fact. He didn’t need us doing it too. He *is* tough but he’s still flesh and blood and he feels pain just like anyone else.

They got married, here at the mansion and Kitty and I were bridesmaids, damn fine looking ones at that even if I do say so myself. The big Loaf was even suited and booted for the occasion which believe me happens only once in a blue moon, such a rarity is Mr Logan in a suit that we took extra pictures just to prove it did really happen.

Its good job denim’s still around though because that man would not survive long without a pair of Jeans glued tightly across his mighty fine backside.

They were nothing but happy, for a while anyway.

She was so many things, his friend, in a way his saviour I think, his lover, his wife, and the only one to give him peace.

She was and is his life.

That’s why he’s out there. He feels closer to her out there. Today’s their anniversary and each and every year you’ll see him sitting out there come hell or high water. Over and over he’ll trace the letters etched in the marble he’s sitting in front of - 5 letters, one word, but to him it reads so much more. One name with a hell of a lot of meanings wrapped up in it - especially for him.

It’s the only headstone away from the rest. It stands alone with room at its side so when the time eventually comes he can be with her again.”

“But that one just say’s Marie?”

“Yes Sophie Rogue’s real name was Marie.

Like so many others, too many, she died during the war and most of Mr Logan died with her.

They were all thinking it but surprisingly Jake was the one who spoke up “Why didn’t he touch her and save her?”

“They called it ‘M.G.S.’, their last ditch effort at the end of the war. It was a highly unstable untested drug, not that they cared. It negated a mutant’s power, that’s what it was designed to do anyway, neuter us, make us 'safe'. She was hit with two darts and just fell like a stone. Mr Logan tried but her skin wouldn’t take the life he was trying to give it. He kept hold of her, desperately hoping her skin would react, refused to let her go long after her body shut down, poisoned by the same drug.

He got left behind with a lot of life left to live.

When I go, I’ll be buried out there with all the other x-men, and that’ll leave only one. There’s a lot more to him than you may think, he’s been through more than anyone should ever have to but he’s still fighting when he could have easily given up. He’ll stay and he’ll look out for you - you kids will be all he has left, so it’s up to you to look out for him and keep him on his toes. Maybe remind him once in a while that he fought and they failed. Of course you could try and kick his butt every now and again but I wouldn’t recommend it!”

“Did you ever get married?”

“Not because of a lack of offers but no sweetheart I didn’t. I did however, have a hell of a lot of fun!”

“Ewwwww” was the single statement echoed around the room from all corners.

Jubes just smiled, she may be old but was still able to shock the hell out of a bunch of kids. Today was a good day.

“Jubilation Lee what the hell are you doin’ takin’ classes?” everyone jumped at the deep rough voice of the man leaning in the doorframe as he bellowed out his question.

Jake sat and couldn’t help but stare. Jubilee was obviously smart – she also told the truth – there was only one person the man in the doorway could be and Mr Logan really did look like one mean son of a bitch.

“Worried about me Wolvie?, I’m touched!”

Well maybe not so smart, Wolvie? Death wish maybe.

“That’s Logan, Mr Logan or Wolverine to you, now off with ya, leave these poor kids alone, this class is officially dismissed. Go terrorise someone else, I hear the art class wants another go at that butt ugly chair of yours.”

“It’s gorgeous and you know it.”

“Stunning, come on I’ll give ya a push.”

“Mechanics class tweaked and supercharged the power cells last week - I’ll give you a race.”

“You ever gonna grow up?”

“Good God no!”

“Just checking, you want a head start?”

“Go!”

A mean looking badass and a wheelchair ridden pensioner racing down the corridor. There were no words, it was the most surreal thing any of them had ever seen. The room was filled with nothing but gaping mouths and silence.
Chapter End Notes:
If you're getting bored, don't worry there's only one more to go!