Chapter 4.

Mr Logan doesn’t remember his past. Well, his past that was back then. It’s been........christ about 75 years since he first came here, so I suppose he’s got a lifetimes memories now, but with his healing who knows how long he’s been on the planet? The man could well be older than dirt.

Before we’d ever met him, he’d had his memories ripped away from him. He was taken and used as a government experiment, tortured and abused, some of which was just for their idea of fun and entertainment. The real experiment though was to make him more invincible than he already was. He had red hot molten metal poured into his body and grafted on to his bones - while he was awake I might add. They tried to make him into a killing machine, and I don’t care what he say’s they failed big time. Don’t get me wrong, if you came up in a fight with him, you’d loose big style but it’s his instinct’s and his strong senses that make him good at what he does and he used them and every dirty trick in the book to save us and fight for the world we have now. That is not what they wanted. They wanted the machine - someone without a conscience to kill at their beck and call. Someone who’d do all their dirty work without any questions. They failed.

What he went through is way beyond comparison to anything I know and I’ve seen some evil in my time. The nightmares that he suffers reveal the only memories he was left with. He re-lives all of it over and over in his dreams. Yet despite what he went through he came out with the knowledge of right and wrong even if he couldn’t remember anything else.

He may have been no angel, a loner who’s priority was number one which was understandable given everything he’d been through but he never let them win. Later on I think Rogue helped him a lot but he was and is a good man. Just don’t ever let on to him that I told you that. He’s a big softie really but I don’t say it to his face – I like to let him keep the illusion of badass.”

Jake had read all about the laboratories. How mutants were taken against their will, the horrors they’d faced and how so many of them had been tortured and killed. It was hard to read, especially the survivor’s detailed tales of day to day events, but there’s a certain distance from reality he supposed when you’re just reading about it and hadn’t been there. No wonder the bastard was a bastard; at least he had an excuse, unlike Mr Collins who was more like the Government Dr’s, he enjoyed being not only a bastard but a sick twisted sadistic one at that. He got off on the power it gave him, and he didn’t care what he had to do or who he had to tread on in the process to keep it.

“The one thing Mr Logan did have from his past was a set of dog tags and I think he clung to them like they were his lifeline, but the day he left here he gave them to Rogue. Of course the Jackass didn’t listen when she told him she didn’t want him to leave, but he gave her the tags and told her he’d be back for them.

We all found out later that the Professor had found a clue to his past and that’s why he’d gone. He’d been searching for the 15 years since his escape and I suppose it was hard to break the habit of his remembered lifetime.

He may have gone looking for a past he couldn’t remember, but Kitty and I knew we were right, He had two lifelines now, his tags and Rogue and he’d given up one and entrusted it with the other. There was no other explanation for leaving her with his only link to himself. Definitely L with an O a V and a very big E. The past be damned, for the first time he had a future, we just had to get his very cute yet stubborn little ass to admit it.

He came back, always said hi and hugged Rogue, they’d talk for hours on end and I never did find out about what, although not from lack of trying. He’d stay for a few days or weeks and then leave again but Rogue always seemed to know he’d be back. That knowledge didn’t stop her heart breaking each time he left, and Kitty and I had to deal with the consequences of his leaving over and over again and believe me it’s not a pretty sight seeing your best friend heartbroken.

It was about two years later when I finally snapped, decided to try and knock some sense into him, told him what he was doing to her, how much he was hurting her and the way he stormed off into the night I seriously thought I’d blown it and that would be the last we ever saw of the Idiot.

I couldn’t have been more wrong though, come morning Rogue was M.I.A. and when I finally found her, well I’d rather not dwell on the images that *that* particular memory brings forth so lets just say I was right, Mr Logan and Rogue were destined to be together, and together they finally were.

“You mean they were..........”

Interrupting the small voice that came from the back of the class before she went forth with her sentence Jubes quickly replied “Yes Jade they were.” Going at it like a pair of Duracell bunnies high on Viagra she thought but refrained from adding.

But the same voice carried on regardless “I thought she couldn’t touch?”

“No Jade she couldn’t but Mr Logan was a very clever, very imaginative man and trust me they were managing just fine.”

A damn sight more than fine as she recalled.