Chapter 3.

“It was the middle of the night when we next saw Logan. He was in a heap, convulsing on his bedroom floor. Of course we were all about as usless as tits on a bull, we all stood there just staring, not knowing what to do. Rogue was there, and that just brought up all kinds of questions, and as she fled the room, well we all got the hell out of the way. You see Rogue’s gift was her skin, although she flatly refused to call it a gift on account of the fact that whenever she touched someone she absorbed their life-force along with their memories and thoughts and in the case of mutants their gifts too and she had no control whatsoever, so you can see why a) we all got out of her way and b) why there were questions as to why Logan had been touched in the middle of the night?”

Yeah not only a mean evil bastard but a perverted one too. How did this creep get to be a teacher for Christ’s sake? Let alone an x-man?

Unfortunately for Jake he’d not only thought it but said it out loud and Jubilee had heard it all.

“Jake, he *is* a mean evil bastard when he needs to be and I’ve been plenty grateful over the years that he has been. He’s saved my life on many an occasion. He’s not just good at what he does, he’s the best. The world that you live in is here because of him and others who fought alongside him. The war may be over but there are still a few things and people you need protecting from, you of all people should know that, and Mr Logan well, nobody does protection quite like him. He is as I already said - the best there is. As for the rest, well I can’t blame you for thinking what we all did, but I haven’t finished this lesson yet and you should always wait until you’ve heard the whole story before you make judgements. Just like we did, you have a lot to learn.

Logan was down in the med lab, out for the count for about three days. Rogue was bunking in with me and my friend Katherine code name Shadow cat, or as we called her - Kitty”

“Great Grandma Kit?”

“Yes Sam your great grandma. Rogue was real quiet but Kitty and I decided enough was enough, well to tell you the truth it was driving us crazy, we just had to know what the hell she was doing in the mean but definitely drop dead gorgeous hunks room in the middle of the night. – Rumour was that it was Logan that had brought her here and they’d been on the road together for years. Well when she finally opened up we found out that most of that was the typical mansion rumour mill getting away with itself again. She’d been on the road for eight months having had no choice but to run away from home, but she had only just met Logan, stowed away in his trailer by all accounts until he found her and dumped her at the side of the road.

Sense prevailed and he gave her a ride, gave her some food and let her warm herself on the heater in his truck, the way she told it you’d think he’d given her the moon but I guess you had to have been there. They hadn’t been on the road long when a crazy mutant called Sabertooth attacked them, The X-men came to their rescue and they ended up here.

As for being in his room in the middle of the night, well it was all boringly innocent, she’d heard him having a nightmare and because he sounded like he was in pain she’d tried to wake him from it with disastrous results. To this day if any of you ever hear Mr Logan whilst he’s sleeping – do not under any circumstances attempt to wake him up. He wakes up scared and still locked in his nightmares trying to escape it all with his claws ready for action and landing in any flesh within distance. That’s exactly what happened to Rogue, stabbed straight threw the chest with 9 inch adamantium blades. She was dying so she touched him and absorbed his healing.”

Claws? Blades? Just how much of an arsenal was this guy packing? A bastard with nothing to stop him because he’s a healer and now deathly blades had been added to the list, this place was getting worse by the minute. He was obviously being punished for something he’d done in a previous life Jake thought as he slumped slightly in his chair.

“Course she thought she’d killed him, and I hasten to add she very nearly did. You remember I told you nature has only come up with one thing strong enough to put him down – well nature designed Rogue. She also thought that everyone was angry with her, so she ran, but Logan up and followed. Cutting a very long story short, you’ve heard the story of Lady Liberty, the night Magneto tried to change all of the human population? – well it was Rogue who was strapped in the machine, Rogue who was being killed by it, and Mr Logan who even though he knew it would probably kill him, flatly refused to let her die, grabbed hold of her and wouldn’t let her go until her skin drained nearly every drop of life he had. Even then if I remember correctly it was Rogue who woke up and had to pry him away to break their connection. Kitty and me, well we thought it was just the most romantic thing, I mean a man like that does not just willingly give his life for you having not long met you with no ulterior motive. We figured that motive was love.

We didn’t count on Mr Logan being as thick as two short planks, or the fact that he’d leave.

But he was, and he did, and we had to deal with the aftermath.