Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is just to give us more depth. We will learn more about the center, the doctor and a deal. To find out more, you will have to read. I hope you enjoy!
Chapter 3

"Environmental doors to level C opening." A monotone voice bellows out over the complex.

Two massive metal doors open, a warm breeze gently blows in. A group of thirty six mutants and sixteen guards commence entering the building.

"Evening meals will be served soon and remember that lights out begins at ten P.M."

The mutants entering the building seem to be at ease, walking unorganized without any sign of regulations or uniform lines. They wear baby blue pants and a selection of either baby blue or white t-shirts and tank tops, on their feet they seem to have the choice between white sneakers or sandals. Chatter can be heard, inmate speaking with inmate and guards conversing with other guards.

"Please line up in front of your designated room."

Each subject lines up with their back facing the door to their cell. A loud buzzing is heard, the light to the right of all the doors turn green.

"Please enter your rooms. Doctor Howard will begin his visits shortly."

The mutants take a step back into their cells and the doors close.

To the surprise of Wolverine, he is no longer the only occupant of his 'room'. He squints his eyes in order to adjust to the lighting in his confinements. He's able to make out the silhouette of a woman lying on one of the double sized beds at the opposite end of the cell.

Taking a few steps forwards he can tell that one of her arms is dangling over the edge of the bed, while the other covers her face as if to shield herself from the light. With a few more steps closer, he sees something familiar, auburn flowing hair with a white streak.

"Rogue?"

His paces quicken as he makes his way towards her bed. The he hears something. Whimpering? He understands that she's probably still in shock from being taken from the mansion. He sits at the edge of her bed.

"Rogue...It's alright darlin...." He offers, placing a hand on her shoulder. "You'll be..."

Quickly her other arm wraps around her head and her knees rise to her chest. "Don't touch me! Get away!" Her form begins to shake.

Logan backs off. "Hey, hey. Rogue." He hushes her softly. "It's just me, Logan. And you don't have to worry about your skin hurtin anyone here..."

Green eyes peek out from under her long hair and then he sees it, terror.

"Rogue...?"

*~*~*~*~*~

The doctor makes his way from his lavish apartment towards the lengthy corridor that will lead him to an elevator, which will bring him down to his subjects. His perfect level C.

Andrew Howard grins as he passes by some of his colleagues that work on the lower levels. He snickers at the thought that they actually believe that he can't hear what they whisper to each other.

"Is he mad?"

"What does he think giving them that much freedom will accomplish?"

What? Do they actually think he cares what they think? What their opinions are? Who are they to criticize his perfect operation? Ten years he's been here. And during this entire time, not one of his units have died, accidental or by any other means. On any other level, they are lucky to not have one perish daily.

He lets out a puff of breath.

The insult, these people actually have the nerve to call themselves his equal.

The elevator begins it's descent and he can't help but feel a bit gitty. New pets, how exciting. In this world he can be king, he can be creator, he can be law. No one on this level questions him like his pears from the other sections, no one here looks at him with disgust or mistrust. Everyone here knows their place. Everyone here obeys. Everyone here does their part. He has created the perfect environment for examination. What better environment then peace?

He takes a deep breath and shuts his eyes. The doors to the elevator open and he exhales. Time to visit his pets, his prized possessions.

From the corner of his pale blue eyes, he sees his assistant Ed exiting their office. "Greetings doctor Howard. Here are the updates for the new arrivals."

"Thank you Ed." Howard takes the data pad from the short dark haired man. "I trust everything is in order?" The doctor continues scanning through the newly recorded information.

"Yes. No incidents have been reported today and there's no decrease in production as well." Ed gives his boss a brilliant white smile. "Do you require me to assist you in the weekly examinations or would you prefer that I begin organizing a schedule for the new units?"

Howard finishes looking through the files, places the data pad in his left coat pocket and pats Ed on the shoulder. "No, no. You can have the rest of the night off. You've done quite enough. Everything is....well perfect. You can always start on the schedule in the morning."

Smiling, Ed nods quickly. "That's very generous of you sir, but are you sure?"

"Positive." Howard adjusts his glasses. "Now you better go, before I change my mind."

Chuckling Ed makes his way towards the elevator.

*~*~*~*~*~

What better way to learn about a subject then to converse with it? Small conversations can teach one a great deal about someone. Their likes, dislikes, talents and even fears. Experiments work just fine on their own to learn the anatomy of someone, the functions of that particular person. But to truly understand the matter at hand, how someone ticks, well sometimes a little nudge in the right direction is all that is needed to find out a world of information.

Andrew stands in front of a metal door. The last room on his list. The residence of his two favorite pets, his treasures.

A male, code name Wolverine, with bones and claws laced with adamantium, an indeterminable age, an amazing healing factor, an incredible immune system and heighten senses. Not only is this man fluent in multiple languages, but he's also a master of most forms of combat. One minor problem, a very bad temper.

And a female, code name Rogue, the woman with the ability to absorb the life force, powers, memories and talents of any person that came into contact with her skin. Recently within the last few years, Rogue has gained the following abilities, super human strength, super sonic flight and invulnerability. Apparently, these had become permanent abilities after coming into contact with an unknown victim.

In the eyes of the doctor, they are perfect.

Exhaling deeply, Andrew shakes off his excitement. "Please open room C 60."

On command the door buzzes and the opens. Howard brings out his data pad and begins going through Rogues medical uploads. "Alright everything came back fine." Hearing no response, his eyes search the room. His sights land on a very pissed off Wolverine and two words come to mind as fast as lightning.

Not. Good.

*~*~*~*~*~

The doctor sits at the edge of the bed, his elbows on his knees, his finger gripping his hair, his head hung low. Rogue sits on a sofa chair in the far corner, covered in a blanket. Wolverine stands towering over the man who holds them all captive here.

"They will pay, I swear. This is not tolerable in my section." How can this be? His perfect level, contaminated with the venomous minds of two guards.

"How?" Wolverine hisses behind his teeth. "How will they pay?"

Andrew looks up into the menacing eyes of his favorite pet.

"A dock in a days pay? Termination of employment?" Logan grips the collar around the doctors neck and slams the skinny man against the wall. "HOW?"

His mind races, he knows that pissing off this man further is a bad idea. However, his temper has caused some problems lately, maybe just maybe. "I have a suggestion."

Logan's grip tightens. "It better be good."

The scientist's eyes shine with clarity. "I will let you terminate them."

Deep throaty laughs escape Wolverine's mouth. "And I'm suppose to believe that?" He slams the doctor against the wall again, this time with more force. "I mean it! If you don't give me an answer I want...I will sacrifice bleeding half to death, just to let my claws rip through your scrawny body!"

Howard raises his hands in surrender. "I give you my word. You know I'm good for that." The doctor, although in a dire situation, smirks.

"What the hell you smilin about doc?" Wolverine decides to let the man back on his feet.

"I want to make a deal." Howard adjusts his collar and picks up his data pad.

Wolverine glances over to Rogue, then back to the professor. "What kind of deal?"

"If you can manage to follow all of my regulations for an entire month, I will give you one guard, in the combat room, you can do whatever it is you wish to him. If you can do the same the following month, I will give you the other guard." Howard waits for a reply.

"So you're saying, I can kill'em both." Wolverine's hands form fists. Again he looks over to Rogue who's just staring at her knees, probably oblivious to the entire conversation. "And what about you? What will you tell the higher ups?"

"You just let me worry about that." Andrew's eyes follow Wolverine's gaze. "Plus I think this will be the perfect way to set an example. People here will know that behaviour like this is not acceptable and that there are consequences to their actions. Even to those under my command."

Logan clears his throat. "Alright, we have a deal. But you backstab me, and somehow turn this around. I'll be coming for you."

"Understood." The doctor heads back for the door. "I'll be back in the morning. Consider your next two days tasks completed as well, I'm not about to leave her hear alone."

The doctor pockets the electric pad presses his hand against a button on the wall. "Please open room C 60."

*~*~*~*~*~

Andrew allows his body to take comfort in his chair in front of his desk. For once, the use of the computer will not be needed, this will be something that will happen with only the eyes of his level to witness. Documentation will not be needed, worth of mouth with do just fine. And if the higher levels in chain of command find out, they probably won't even care, they'd probably encourage it.

Order must be kept.
Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know what you think!!