Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok, sorry for the wait. Its been a busy weekend. Hope you like this one. I know this story is not like my other stuff. Its a lot darker but it will get happier I promise!
Two grueling weeks later the group of rescued mutants and their rescuers finally arrived at their destination. Logan had lead them under cover of night to a warehouse filled with vehicles of almost every description. All of them older models chosen for the ease with which they blended in. He portioned the mutants by traveling group into minivans, SUV's Jeeps and the occasional Ford Taurus. Then they had headed North. They passed through Montana and crossed the Canadian border via a little known park access road. They traveled nonstop switching drivers as needed. Now all that driving had paid off. They were in British Columbia, four hours drive from Juneau Alaska. The Canadian wilderness was the perfect place to build a hiding place for Mutants. Generally thought to be too cold and inhospitable for anyone to live the X-men had built a sanctuary. Not above ground but below it using the considerable skills available to them.

Logan lead the convoy down a hidden ramp and into a huge garage. Jean and Scott were waiting for them. The refugees were simply too tired and too ready to be off the road to object or care where they were. Jean, Scott and a number of former refugees started getting the new arrivals settled. Logan and Rogue retired to their quarters and flopped onto the bed. Logan groaned. "This ain't getting any easier darlin'."

She rolled onto her side and gave him a sweet smile. "But we're making a dent."

He glared up at the ceiling. "Yeah. Sure we are."

She rolled onto her stomach and propped herself up on her elbows to look down at him. "We're making a difference Logan. And soon we won't have to do this anymore." She kissed him softly.

Logan's arms wrapped around her waist and held her firmly as he kissed her back. Eventually the kiss became more hungry and Logan's hands started roaming up under her shirt. She moaned softly as he cupped her breasts. With a small effort Logan rolled both of them until Rogue was underneath his bulk. She slipped her hands between them to unbutton his shirt and Logan growled playfully. It had been a long two weeks on the road.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donella walked into the bowels of the underground complex that she had helped design. Her heart felt like it was made of stone and weighed heavily in her chest. As she moved deeper into the complex she felt that weight more keenly. She'd designed this particular area for a specific purpose. A purpose that it could no longer fulfill. She stood before the massive doors of the New Cerebro and longed for the doors to swing open reveling the man she'd come to love more deeply than she'd thought possible. They didn't of course and she turned to her left opening the door to the small apartment she'd had built there when the place was being dug from the unforgiving frozen earth. When they'd gone into hiding Xavier had lamented that he never seemed to get any time with her since he was always tracking down another group of lost or captured mutants. When she'd helped design the complex she'd had their apartment built right next door to Cerebro so she could be closer to him. There was even a window that looked into Cerebro so she could watch him while he worked. It was now covered with a tapestry she'd stolen during a rescue.

"I miss you." She whispered to the silent apartment.

She felt the faint fluttering in her mind and knew it was Xavier trying to reach her but as hard as she tried she could never quite clear the pathways to contact him telepathically. She had been frustrated to the point of tears over this early on but had accepted that it was probably for the best. After all, the people who had Xavier were probably looking for them and would probably use any telepathic contact between them to get the information they sought.

She showered, changed and had just started making herself a meal when someone knocked on her door. She opened it and stifled a curse. Jean was standing before her door. Jean and Donella hadn't ever been able to get along. The bickered constantly over the complex design, over the living arrangements, over the food supply. Over Xavier leaving Donella in charge of the daily affairs in his absence and finally over the support given by the X-men to Donella when Jean challenged her authority and validity of Xaviers decree. "Can I help you Jean?"

"Tomorrow is the Anniversary of Haven. We've been working on something special to celebrate it while you were out. We just need your approval." Jean's voice was cold and hostile but she'd learned that when Donella laid down a rule she meant it to be followed.

Donella took the clipboard from Jean and perused the arrangements. "Looks fine to me. Can you maybe change the time from ten to noon? The refugees will need a little more time to adjust before meeting the rest of Haven."

Jean took the clipboard back and made a note. "Fine." She said coolly and left.

Donella closed the door. Xavier had been taken just before Haven had been completed. He'd left her in charge while he and a group of six of the new X-men went via the Blackbird to retrieve a group of stranded Mutants on the Highway. They'd never come back and a retrieval team had found the wreckage of the Blackbird but no bodies.

Donella went back to making her meal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xavier sat in the tiny cell he'd been assigned to waiting for the guards to come get him as they always did at three in the afternoon. It was routine though they did change their routines every few months just for security reasons though the guards didn't seem to think it was necessary. He could feel the drugs they'd give him in his lunch coursing through his veins and he resisted with every ounce of his impressive willpower not to reach out mentally to the one person in all the world he knew would move heaven and earth to rescue him from this torture. That was after all what the FOH wanted.

Despite the FOH's complete hatred of Mutants they were not above using Mutants as weapons to get what they wanted. They were still trying to use Xavier to locate the three hundred or so Mutants who had escaped the interment camps. Mutants Xavier knew had been rescued by the X-men. They also wanted him to find for them the several thousand Mutants in America that had gone to ground. He resisted as he always did but it was becoming increasingly difficult. They drug they were giving him were becoming much stronger. And they'd been giving him larger doses.

Some days they didn't give him any drugs but left him alone in his cell. He couldn't decide if those days were better or worse. Better because they weren't trying to force him into betraying his people but worse because his body had become accustomed to the drugs and he went through withdrawal. Donella had once told him that going through heroine withdrawal had been one of the most miserable experiences of her entire life. She'd said she ached all over, she ran a fever and couldn't eat. 'It was like dieing but without the relief of death.'

He smiled slightly thinking of Donella. Often the image of her bright blue eyes and wild blond hair was the only thing that kept him from blurting out where the Mutants were hiding. He couldn't bear the thought of her being subjected to the kinds of torment he'd witnessed in the FOH's ongoing quest to get him to tell them what they wanted to know. Thinking of Donella made him unconsciously reach out to her. He quickly reigned himself in but not before he got a glimpse of her thoughts. 'I miss you.'

'I miss you too.' He thought as he forced himself to shut himself down.

The door opened and the guard grabbed the handles of his chair and yanked him roughly out into the hall. Xavier took a deep breath and prepared for another grueling afternoon.
Chapter End Notes:
Please Review!!