“So what was with that kiss?” Logan asked, taking a gulp of his coke.

“What are you talking about?” she muttered, slightly unwilling to know and even more unwilling to answer. She was picking at her burger, unable to finish but wanting the distraction of holding it in her hands.

“Oh come on. When you took my healing, you kissed me.” He laughed. “Couldn’t just take my hand huh?”

Rogue kept her eyes on the ground. “It was easier than taking off my gloves. That would have taken too long.”

“Sure.” He said slowly, smiling just to himself. They were walking along a quiet empty street. It was nearly eleven and most shops were closed down now. His gaze trailed up her legs towards her face. She was smiling, but her eyes were sad. He would give anything to know what she was thinking. He took her hand and pulled her towards a park bench. “We should get back to practicing.” He murmured.

They sat down, he pulled off her glove without meeting her eyes and intertwined his fingers between hers. For a moment she was quiet, staring out at the empty park in front of her. The playground was empty, and as she tried to focus on not killing him, she thought about the swing set swaying back and forth... and how lonely it was.

“Did the professor tell you my name was Marie?” she said slowly, a deal of emotion burning under her tongue.

He shook his head, small direct movements. “When you kissed me that time I saw a few of your memories. And thoughts. But it sort of feels like I woke up from a dream, and it’s all fuzzy now. Marie was the only thing I remember.”

She nodded. Her hands were cold in his, smooth and gentle somehow it surprised him that they were, and it shouldn’t have. The silence overtook them again. Sitting and holding hand with Rogue in an empty street. That was something he never thought he would do. She pulled her hand out of his suddenly, and it was colder without it there. “You’re getting good at that.” He muttered.

“Controlling it?” she said pulling on her glove.

He shook his head and turned towards her, his gaze penetrating. “Pulling away from something that is good.”

Rogue broke his gaze, turning away and standing up. “You should get going.” She murmured slowly. Not wanting to continue this conversation.

“Yeah. I bet.” He growled, getting angry. “You can control it holding hands and such but what about this...” In one quick swipe he pulled her against him, one hand on her lower back and the other holding the back of her neck. He pressed his lips against hers, expecting something in reaction. Perhaps it was pain that he expected. Or some sort of reluctance but he felt none. For just a moment there was nothing before she opened her eyes and set her hands on his chest, only gently pushing him away. But he got the message.

When he opened his eyes she was staring at his chest. She took a deep breath. “I think you’ve done your job. I can handle the rest myself.” Rogue murmured as she turned around, about to take another step when she felt him grab her wrist.

“Come on Marie.” He murmured.

She wouldn’t look at him. All that she could see was Magneto taking him from her. His questioning eyes demanding why she would protect him. It didn’t make sense. This can’t be happening.

“My name is Rogue.” She whispered over her shoulder.
“Then Rogue. Stay here. Just for a moment.” He persuaded. “Let’s talk.”

“You don’t understand.” She pleaded. “You shouldn’t be around me. You should go. Go somewhere safe.”
“You’re right. I don’t understand.” He muttered. “I can handle myself.”

“I know you can heal Logan!” she cried desperately. “But...” she tried to gain control of herself, but getting emotional always made it difficult to have a handle on the many personalities inside her head. “But I never want to see you hurt.”

“That’s gotta mean something.” He argued. “Please, I know we’ve had our fair share of shit but...”

“But nothing! It would never work.” she hissed. “Listen to me. Magneto is after you, get somewhere safe. Right now. I can hold him off but... since I touched him there’s a part of his personality in me that won’t let me kill him. And I—” she cut off, a headache screaming through her skull like fire.

She fell to her knees, it felt like her head was going to explode. There was too much happening at once. Everyone in there was trying to escape her. Fighting against her. Driving her out. “Ah!” she gasped out desperately.

“Rogue?” He went down to her level. “Please Rogue let me help you.”
“No one can help me.” She screamed out. “I’m fine I just need to calm... calm... down...” her voice started to waver and she started to fall to the ground before he caught her.
Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think!