They stood at the gates of the mansion, Rogue staring ahead at the doors several meters away. Gloves on, she had her arms folded across her chest, wearing her snug dark blue jeans and her dark green hoody. Her hair fell straight down her back, the white streak tucked behind her ear. Her gaze flickered to Logan, who turned to the side when he noticed her looking at him.

He was wearing his basic faded grey T-shirt, fitting tightly around his biceps and shoulders but loose as it fell around the belt of his blue jeans. He held his leather jacket in one hand, and in the other, one of Rogue’s bags. She had still yet to pick up the one she had set beside her when they stopped to take a moment.

She mashed her lips together. “There’s a hotel down the far road over there, just a couple miles. I can still be close without... living here.” She offered.

Logan rolled his eyes. “You said you’d join the X-men if I remembered.” He pointed out, pushing her out of the way and grabbing her bag to head to the door.

“I just...” she sighed. “I just don’t think that everyone will be entirely comfortable with me staying there. Maybe it can start with occasional visits and the possible sleepover and after a few months it could build to just weekends and maybe by the end of the year if everyone is... good... with... it...” she slowed down because he started giving her the look again.

“You’re seriously scared of what they’ll think of you?” He laughed, seriously finding it amusing.
“Shut up.” She hissed. “I haven’t exactly made the best impression. You know that.”

He smiled shrugging. He knew it the most. “Don’t worry.” He murmured, one arm behind her back and pushing her forward. “They are all really excited to meet you.”

“Really?” she said, surprised. Then her eyes narrowed. “You’re lying.”
He shook his head. “I’m not. Scott and Jean were... surprisingly good about it.” He shook his head. “Jean said you can come over anytime if I get overbearing. I’m not right?”

Rogue couldn’t help but let the smile creep across her face. “She thinks I can’t handle you?”
He shrugged again. “You’re right. We both started on the other side of the tracks after all.”

Her gaze was on the ground as they started moving and she forced him to let her help carry the bag her had taken from her. “And the professor?” she said hesitantly. “What does he think?”

Logan ran his now free hand through his messy dark hair. “He’s so grateful to you... he was making sure that everyone would treat you well. Not that anyone wouldn’t...” he back tracked.

She rolled her eyes and shook her head. “And why wouldn’t they?”
He smiled slightly. “You may not know this Marie but you have a way of making everyone like you.”

Perhaps she would have accepted the compliment had she hadn’t noticed something. She took a deep breath. “I don’t want people calling me Marie ‘round here Logan.”

“Oh, I’m sorry I thought...” he started to apologize.
“No,” she interrupted. “You can... I just... It doesn’t seem right. Maybe in a while. But not yet.” He nodded, full of understanding.

They had reached the door now, standing just outside it as he waited for her to summon the courage to open it. When she didn’t he sighed and reached over, and opened the door. “I’ll protect you from the big bad mutants.”

Standing in the entrance in front of the giant staircase Rogue sighed. “You’re one of them sugar.” He grinned devilishly at her and took her hand as he started to lead her the way up the stairs.

“There she is.” Rogue heard a female voice say calmly. Rogue closed her eyes, her thoughts were: Shit, shit. I thought I’d have time before I had to meet everyone. But she smiled as she looked to the right and saw a woman with fiery red hair and a man with sunglasses standing behind her.

“Hi.” Rogue murmured awkwardly. “Jean.”
“Rogue.” Jean said with a smile as though they had never met before. The last time Rogue had seen her was when she drained her strength leaving Jean in a coma for six days. “This is Scott. We’re very happy to have you here.” Surprisingly, Jean seemed genuine. But Rogue still wasn’t a fan.

Logan tried not to look annoyed. “I was just showing her the room...” he said slowly, not letting go of her hand.

“Good,” Jean praised him with a smile. “Then you go ahead and take her bag while we introduce her to everyone.”
Rogue’s hand tightened in his and she heard him laugh as she turned to give him a “Save me” look. He grinned. “That sounds like a great idea. Rogue, I’ll be right back. Unless of course you don’t want to meet everyone?”

She glared at him and bit her tongue against the many things she wanted to call him. Protection from the big bad mutants huh? Well she was gonna show him one when she got him alone... “No, no. That’s fine.” She said forcing a smile.

“Great!” Jean murmured while Scott snickered at her enthusiasm.
Logan grinned at Rogue. “Don’t worry. You’ll be fine.” He said taking her bag and walking up the stairs.
Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think.