Rogue sat down beside him on his bed. Perhaps his bedroom would be the best place to wake up, even if he didn’t end up remembering. He stared at the ground. The professor had explained it to him already. All the circumstances and the possibilities. He had agreed to it all.

Now it was just her and him, alone in his bedroom, both of them staring at the ground. She had been gaining more and more control over her ability since the personalities had been distinguished. But as she pulled off one glove she found it difficult to use against him as she had so easily before.

She had no idea why she was doing this. There was a great doubt in her heart that he would do the same for her with his memories back. What if all that he remembered was how much he hated her when they were enemies? Perhaps it was only for her that feelings had changed, and that was worrisome. The professor had given her access to the Wolverine that was in her head and he growled fiercely at her.

Consumed by her own thoughts she didn’t realize what Logan was doing until he had her hand in his, their fingers intertwined. She stared down at their hands joined together and then finally looked back up to his face. There wasn’t much that he remembered or knew... but he trusted her. And he gave her an assuring smile. “Do it.” He murmured.

She closed her eyes, and let go of the control she had so successfully maintained. And then she did exactly what the professor had said. Look through all of the memories that he gave you and you have of him. So she did. She remembered the nightmares he would have constantly. She thought of the brother that would follow him forever. She saw the wars that hadn’t been forgotten. And then she looked at what she wished she could have forgotten. The many times that she and him had fought against each other. The days when they would bicker. The time they had spent as enemies and finally... their last few days together.

When she opened her eyes he had collapsed on the bed, completely out but still alive and capable of healing. She felt the energy of it pulsing through her. It had been done. She felt it. She felt immortal. Rogue closed her eyes, feeling it flow through her. Her heart beat was all that she could hear. And it would continue to beat forever.

Her teeth clenched as she tried to make herself believe that he would remember her. But she knew the truth. It’s all just a fairy tale never to come true. Happy Ever After is a lie. It’s just fictional. No one can be happy forever and anyone who believes that is soft.

Rogue wasn’t soft. But somehow Logan had made her be. She cringed away from being vulnerable to anyone and wrapped her arms around herself, she was slipping to sleep when he stirred, but only slightly.

She was at his side in a second, holding his hand and hoping that he would wake. “Please Logan.” She whispered. “Please, if you remember I’ll join the X-men. I promise I will. Just please. Please don’t leave me. Don’t leave me alone.” Her eyes closed, and a tear spilled down her cheek.

A voice sounded from the doorway. “He still does not remember.” He murmured. She watched Logan open his eyes and turn to her. He pulled his hand from hers and he held it to her cheek gently.

Rogue wouldn’t believe him. “Please Logan. What’s my favourite colour?”
He stared at her, unresponsive. He shook his head and glanced down to the floor as he sat up and pulled away from her. “I’m sorry.” He murmured.

A quiet sob escaped her lips as she shuddered lightly. She took a deep breath but it came out ragged. She couldn’t save his memories. She wasn’t strong enough for it.

“Rogue,” the professor called out as she walked past him towards the door. “Rogue!”

She ignored him and began to run from everything, with a well nourished energy supply, nothing could stop her now. And soon, Magneto would pay for this.
Chapter End Notes:
Criticism is appreciated. Tell me all thoughts!