Rogue opened her eyes to the familiar bright light. For a moment she didn’t move. This can’t be... she didn’t have enough of Logan’s healing to heal on her own...

She turned to the side and saw him sitting there staring at the ground, and slowly he glanced up at her. Immediately without thinking she got up and ran into his arms. “Logan!” she sang overjoyed. She was bursting with energy.

His arms settled around her awkwardly, and she pulled away from him with a sudden realization.

“You don’t remember me.” She whispered.
He stared down at her with no recognition in his eyes. They were slightly cold. “No.” He murmured.

Rogue took an immediate step back. “I’m sorry.” He didn’t answer her. Clearly searching in the back of his mind for any memory of her whatsoever. It seemed like he wished he remembered. After a moment of silence a thought occurred to her. “Why did you save me?”

His eyes remained on the ground. “Marie...” He said her name like it was another word. Not something she was called. His voice sounded calmer now, as though he had spent time on his answer, but he didn’t. “I... I don’t know.”

Logan sank down back onto his chair, staring at his hands indecisively. She heard Charles enter and spun around as he spoke. “Rogue, may I speak to you a moment?”

She nodded and followed him out. The hallway was cold, the walls metal and bare. Everything seemed pale, but she tried to concentrate on what the professor was going to say to her.

“I have no way to access Logan’s memories.” He murmured slowly and quietly. “They have all been destroyed… six adamantium bullets to his frontal lobe has left him completely… unaware of his past.”

Without realizing it one of Rogue’s hands covered her mouth as she glanced towards the door that Logan was inside of. A lump was in her throat and she knew it would be hard to speak now, but she tried. “You’re saying there’s nothing you can do?”

Xavier nodded slowly, but looked at her sternly. A great deal of intent in his gaze. “There’s nothing I can do.” He put specific emphasis on the ‘I.’

Rogue’s eyebrows raised. “Me?” she said quietly. “What could I do?”

Charles took a long breath closing his eyes. “Your ability… you seem to exchange more than just the power itself. You exchange memories… since Logan has none it would simply double the amount that you give him. There is a way you can control it so that only his memories flow through, but there’s still a chance that yours will follow.”

“That’ll work?” she said sceptically.

“That’s the only option we have.” He murmured, disappointed. “You’re his only chance to get back the little amount of memory he had before.”

Rogue nodded. “So that’s it? Sounds easy to me.”

She saw his jaw tense and his gaze flicker away briefly. “There’s something you should know.” He told her. “If you make contact with Logan for that amount of time, you will acquire his eternal healing, and there is still the chance that it won’t work.”

She didn’t want to live forever. She never had. Rogue wasn’t the type to be afraid of aging and other things of that sort. She had always longed for the thought of growing old with someone. To live forever is a great burden… one which she had thought she would never have to bare. She knew she would have to watch everyone she loved die slowly, one at a time. Without hope of ever saving them from the old age that was supposed to take everyone one day. But Logan… he knew better than anyone what it was like to watch people die, even if he didn’t remember it. Could she leave him alone though it all?
Chapter End Notes:
Comment.