Author's Chapter Notes:
DISCLAIMER: I own nothing.

Chapter 5

Rogue was surprised to find her parents had left Logan’s room and were deeply wrapped up into a conversation in the empty waiting area not far away. Thinking a moment about walking over to them she then decided to take her brother by the arm pulling him away from their parents and into Logan’s room. There were only Logan and Dr. Wilson, both worried expressions on their features, also talking. With a frown she approached the two men taking a bite from her donut. “Did something happen?” She looked up to Logan. “Why are mah parents out there?”

“Dunno. Nothin' happened.” Logan hoped she didn’t realize his lie the way he did with her. “So the sweets got you again?!”

Smiling she licked the raspberry jelly from her lips. “Ya know what’s the best?” He remained quiet waiting for her to continue. “Mah teeth aren’t sensitive anymore.”

Logan grimaced. “You cheated.”

“Ya are one to say. Ya never saw a dentist practice from the inside.” Laughing she chewed on the donut.

Logan smirked. “Yeah, yeah, darlin’. You’re already working on new caries.”

“Complaining? Ya told me to get something to eat. Ya didn’t say what.” Since she took her first bite it had hit her how hungry she actually was. “The FBI already gone?”

“Yup. Was a bright idea to tape it.”

“Ya proud on me?” A shy smile plastered her lips and her brown orbs traveled over his features.

“A little.” Logan grinned down on her, his expression betrayed his words, everybody could tell how proud he in truth was. “Gave them our torn clothes don’t think you would mind?!”

Rogue shook her head. “Nah. Ah wanted to give those to them with the other evidences. Ah completely forgot.”

“Not the world’s end, darlin’.” Logan chuckled and faced her once more. “You know, that Hood guy indeed asked if you’re my girlfriend.” On her amused expression he continued. “Wonder how he got that idea.”

Rogue plopped down on Logan’s bed still eating with an amused frown. “That people can’t imagine a man and a woman are just best friends without any ulterior motives?!”

Josh couldn’t hold in his laugher. “Ya really wonder?! With that ‘oh, sugah!’ and ‘everything ya like, darlin’!’ It’s worse than watching Titanic!” Logan’s death glare hushed the boy at once.

“We are close. That was kinda from the first moment we met. We simply understand one another.” Rogue’s face grew serious. “When ya’re in real trouble, real danger then life’ll show ya who a true friend is and who not.”

“That’s quite profound, Rogue.” Dr. Wilson remarked.

Now the boy was curious. “What trouble where ya in, Marie? Worse than at the mall?”

The brunette thought a moment. “Kinda the same.”

Logan saw her sombre expression and approached her his fingers running through her white strains. “This skunk-streak is not bleached, it’s real.”

Josh’s eyes widened. “How real? Your hair grows white?!”

“Yeah, it turned white while Ah died the first time.”

Every time Wilson thought those two mutants couldn’t astonish him more they came up with something like that, speaking about it, like it were the most normal thing in the world. “Dead?”

“Dead dead.” Logan confirmed as his hand was captured by her gloved one and their gazes met.

“That guy, this Victor said ya should have stayed dead, did he kill ya back then?” Josh shuddered at the memory of his big sister laying in her own blood.

“He was involved, but no.” Rogue squeezed Logan’s hand their gazes still locked. “Logan saved me, revived me the same way like this time.” Her eyes became fearful when memories of his bleeding and lifeless body flashed before her mind’s eye. “Ah thought Ah had killed ya.”

“I’m tough.” Wolverine pulled her into an embrace, her face pressed against his chest. “I’m still here by your side and I always will be. Promised to take care of you.”

Her brother rolled his eyes and grimaced. “And then they wonder why everybody thinks they have something going on…”

The two mutants gently pushed away from each other. “Joshie, when ya won’t get a little more sensitive, Ah’ll never have a sister-in-law not to mention nieces or nephews.” Rogue and Logan faced the boy, both having one eyebrow lifted causing Wilson to suppress his grin.

The doctor noticed Rogue’s parents walk towards them and decided to give them some privacy, though his curiosity would kill him. “I’ll fetch the discharge papers.”

X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X

In all that confusion they had forgotten about what their son had done during the attack, forgotten he also turned out to be a mutant. But then again this guy Logan was right, it was easy to oversee for them since Josh’s behavior didn’t change one bit. He wasn’t crying hysterically or hiding in a corner terrified like his sister always did. He didn’t desperately crave for love and support of his parents as Marie did from the moment she changed. Was their boy stronger, or was it something else? Their son still appeared to be their normal human boy and in their conversation they decided it should stay this way and that this stranger was right, they had made a big mistake with their little girl.

Mrs. D’Ancanto agreed with her husband that this mutant, this man tried his best to make their Marie happy, something they had forgotten about when their daughter’s mutation appeared. But still they also agreed that they didn’t like this man, but at the moment they had lost their right to meddle in the life of their Marie. They couldn’t put their finger on it, but their feelings told them that this Logan was no good company for a young woman. He hid something from them and their Marie knew her parents wouldn’t like it. But then again it was too late to reason with their child, they were the strangers to her not that man.

Having still the feelings of a mother for her firstborn child, she refused to believe that they will leave this hospital and will never ever hear a word from their daughter. It was true: they got just a second chance, but not only concerning their son but also their daughter, and they won’t let it slip through their fingers.

As soon as the couple entered the room Rogue and Logan faced them their expressions unreadable. The D’Ancantos smiled at them tentatively and walked over to their son hugging and holding their boy.

Being embraced like a four-year-old by his parents Josh got a weird feeling. “What’s wrong? Is someone gonna die?” He felt his parents pull away slightly and they smiled down on him.

His mother stroked his dark blond head. “No, can’t we hug our beloved son?”

“Ok, now ya’re scaring me!” Josh felt like in a bad movie and wondered if they’re going to tell him that they’re going to get divorced or something like that – not that he would knew of any marriage problems of his parents – but there were not many options left if nobody is dieing… But instead of breaking some terrible news to him his parents turned around after a reassuring pat on the shoulder by his father and faced their daughter.

Slowly they approached her, noting that Logan took a step backwards giving them more private space. Her mother carefully grasped Rogue’s gloved hand holding it lightly and soon her father covered his daughter’s hand from above trembling slightly.

Unsure what to expect the brunette met her mother’s gaze. “Marie, honey, we know we have made grave mistakes back then and this time. And ya lead your own life now.”

“We’re not expecting ya to forgive us, but we would be happy if ya could give us a second chance to get to know our adult daughter.” Mr. D’Ancanto continued his voice shaking. “Maybe ya could call or come for a visit from time to time.”

“Okay…” Rogue was taken aback about the sudden change of heart and the fact that her parents actually touched her, though their grip on her wasn’t tight and their hands were trembling, but this was more than the young woman ever hoped to expect. She frowned and contemplated a moment what just happened. Then it hit her and she whirled around, letting go of her parents’ hands. “What have ya done, Logan?!” Rogue snapped at Wolverine accusingly.

Her brown eyes bore into him and her sudden outburst took him by surprise. “Maybe I said something to arouse their conscience a little.” He finally admitted.

Her eyes widened. “Ya threatened them?!”

“No, I just spoke my mind.” He saw her eyebrow move upwards. “I behaved and I think I didn’t even curse.” She stared a moment into his hazel eyes before her features relaxed into a small smile and she bent forward kissing his cheek.

Rogue then faced her parents again a warm smile on her lips. “If ya’re sure, Ah would call from time to time.”

“That would be nice.” Her mother returned her smile.

Silence fell upon the group and Logan used this chance to reassure the D’Ancantos, that their decision was the right one. “How long do you know, Pikachu?” His eyes rested on the boy’s face. “You didn’t discover your powers back then at the mall. You knew exactly what you did.”

“Josh?!” His parents had thought him to have just found out about his ability.

Rogue remembered the moment her little brother took out that soldier with an electric pulse. She was quite surprised back then. “That’s true, Joshie.”

Fear welled up in Josh and he looked down on the cold hospital floor. “Two years ago.” He heard his mother gasp. “When Ah fried mah computer and told ya it just overheated.”

Rogue was almost laughing imagining her little brother accidentally destroying his beloved pc. “Did ya watch porn or what did ya got so worked up to trigger your mutation?” She noted the small smile on Logan’s features.

Josh met her gaze wide eyed. “Ah was playing World of Warcraft! Stupid chick!”

“A computer game triggered your mutation!” Logan couldn’t hold in his laughter. “The kids today…”

Josh’s fear gave way to embarrassment and anger. “Ya have to talk, Marie! Just a little kiss was it with ya!” He glared at the two other mutants. “Stop laughing!”

His parents were everything else than laughing. “Two years. Why didn’t ya tell us?”

The boy eventually faced his parents new fear welled up inside him. “Tell ya, so ya would look at me like at a monster?! Luckily Ah have no problem hiding mah –“ The boy contemplated a moment. “mutation.” This was the first time he called himself a mutant. It was weird and frightening, but somehow freeing to finally stop hiding.

“Why should we?” his mother started a little hurt, but the reason dawned on her before her son spoke it out.

“Ya ask why? Then ask Marie!” His eyes were full of anger now. “Back then ya two told me to stay away from mah sister! Ya were so afraid of her and ya scared the hell out of me!” Josh then lifted his hand and grasped his sister by the gloved wrist. “Ah didn’t dare to speak with her thinking it would kill me.” He pulled her arm up demonstrating his parents he was still touching Marie firmly. “But nothing happens!”

Their mistake was even graver than the parents thought a minute ago and their expressions grew guilty.

Josh let finally go of his sister’s wrist but his eyes never left his parents’ faces. “Ah knew nothing would change as long as ya two didn’t get wind of it. Why should Ah tell ya? Ya would only freak out.” Angry the boy crossed his arms before his chest and glared at his parents.

Tears sprang to his mother’s eyes when she and her husband finally grasped what burden their son had to carry around all that time. Carefully she stepped forward and embraced her boy. “Joshie.” While her husband patted his son’s shoulder and whispered “Ah’m sorry.”

Slowly Josh’s anger subsided and gave way to relief. After a half eternity he lifted his arms and returned his mother’s hug.

Rogue watched her family feeling happy for her brother, though a small part of her envied him. Suddenly she felt Logan’s hand in hers squeezing it lightly and her chocolate orbs met his. She saw the worry for her in his features, the fear that she felt left out, might feel alone. A warm smile crept on her lips and she also pressed his hand, signaling him she knew he would always be there for her.

When Josh let finally go of his mother, Rogue approached her brother a smirk on her face. “So, ya can control your gift, huh?”

Still unsure about this whole being-a-mutant-thing Josh first observed his parents’ features, before he returned her grin. “Yup.” Opening his palm he held his open hand before his family and Logan and without effort blue lightening crackled on his skin, jumping from one finger to the next.

Rogue looked up to Logan. “Just like Jubes.”

“Yup, another firecracker.” Logan met the D’Ancantos’ unsure, but still fascinated views. “The boy can come in handy. Just thinking about a jump start.”

Josh smiled about this practical use of his power. “Yeah or Ah can do this.” Grinning evilly the boy shut down his flashes and moved his charged hand a few inches over his sister’s head, making her hair stick out.

Rogue narrowed her eyes and flattened her hair back down. “Great, Joshie.”

Suddenly the group was startled by a knock and the door opening. “I see you’re back up on your feet, Wolverine.” Hank smiled at Rogue before his eyes rested on Wolverine. “May I have a word with you, boy?”

Logan’s head snapped in the direction of the other X-Men. “Boy?!” Slowly he moved forward like a wolf to its prey his fist clenched. “Listen, Fureball, the next time you call me ‘boy’ I’ll kick your blue ass!”

“See you’re as good-humored as ever.” Hank seemed to be unimpressed by the threatening and shifted his head towards the hallway. “On a word?” With a growl Logan followed the ambassador out the door and down the hall leaving Rogue with her family.

X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X

When Hank was sure to be out of Rogue’s earshot, calculating the enhanced senses in, he faced the grumpy Logan. “I contacted Charles and brought him up to date. He will try to locate Sabretooth, but Cerebro is no option at the moment.” On the other man’s questioning gaze he explained. “Charles’ new body doesn't have the X Factor thus no abilities. He's in contact with one of his former students. She might be strong enough to use Cerebro with the right training.” Logan simply growled. “Sabretooth might come for revenge.”

“That’s no news, Hank.” Logan saw the worry. “What's wrong?”

Hank lowered his voice just in case. “It’s Rogue.” A moment past by in which he observed Wolverine’s expression. “She’s unstable. I’m worried about her state of mind.”

Logan’s features tensed. “So am I.”

“She thinks her life stopped when her mutation returned.”

Shaking his head Wolverine’s lips escaped a heavy sigh. “I feared that day as she did. Feared her reaction that she would do something stupid.”

Their eyes locked. “She looks up to you.”

“I will never let her down for nothing in this world.”

With a curt nod Hank acknowledged the other mutant’s sincerity. “She deserves that much.”

X X X X X X X X X X X X

When Logan returned to his room his thoughts were still centered on his conversation with Hank. Inwardly he was beating himself up for not being there for his Marie from the first moment her powers had returned, but then again he knew he nearly had died and it wasn’t his fault that he was in coma for two days and unable to take care of her. Not that he would blame her for his near death – he would have happily died if only Marie could live on.

Upon entering his room he noted Rogue’s position on the sill next to her was the window wide open. “You know, when you jump I’m gonna follow you.” He stepped closer to her his face serious when she looked up somewhat startled. “Don’t think about lying to me.”

She held his gaze a moment and swallowed hard. “It’s futile at the moment. Ah would heal on my own.”

“Marie!” Her parents were shocked to hear their child was thinking about something like that.

Carefully Logan sank down onto the sill next to his Marie. “Darlin’, do you trust me?” His hazel eyes never left hers.

There was no hesitation in her features, nor a moment to think about his question. “With mah life.”

Sadness and fear were evident in his eyes. “It isn’t much worth to you at the moment.” His hands squeezed her gloved ones firmly, signaling her that he was serious. “I beg you to give me a little more time.”

Tears glittered in her brown orbs and a strangled sob escaped her throat. “It’s hurting so much.”

“And it’s hurting me to see you suffer every minute, but I need you. I refuse to believe that life can be so cruel. There has to be a way.” His hand cupped Rogue’s warm cheek and he felt her lean into his touch for a split second before pulling back. “Don’t give up. Give me a chance.” He tugged her white strain behind her ear.

“Ya wouldn’t let me go that easily.” A small smile appeared on her face.

“Hardly.” Logan closed his eyes for a moment when a mixture of guilt and remorse washed over his features. “God, I wish I could turn back time I would stop you from taking that damn cure.”

Rogue shook her head and happiness shone in her eyes for a split second. “Ah love the last months we spent together.” Gently she enclosed his hand with hers. “Ah would have stayed at the mansion and waited for ya to return, only seeing ya for a few weeks before ya would leave again. Ya’d have never taken me with ya.”

He stroked her head with his free hand. “That’s not true. I wanted to take you with me the first time I left back then. But it would have been too selfish.”

Her eyes were sparkling now. “Ah told ya Ah didn’t want ya to leave me. Ah wouldn’t have hesitated a moment if ya would have asked me.”

Wolverine smiled. “I know, but if you had been with me, I could have never wondered to what beautiful woman you would have grown up when I would return.” Now a bright beam was on her features; he’d just called her beautiful and a woman. Logan squeezed her hand to bring her back from the dreamland, she dared to drift to. “It is how it is. And it was a good thing you stayed at the mansion and went to school.”

Rogue titled her head to one side never breaking their eye contact. “So ya would just change that Ah would never take the cure.”

“I would change that whole cursed day.” His voice cracked.

She saw the sadness on his face. “Ah know, Ah’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. There is nothing else I could have done to save her.” He shook his head.

“But Ah would have been there. Maybe there would have been something Ah could have helped ya with.” She paused a moment. “Ah thought about this. Often. Ah could have touched her.”

“She would have been in your mind. Then I would have lost both of ya. No. Never.” He swallowed hard. “There was nothing anybody could have done to save Jean.”

Her fingers traveled carefully over his bearded cheek. “Ya know that is the truth, sugah, but it won’t lessen your guilt about what ya had to do and Ah see it in your eyes every time we speak 'bout her.”

Logan captured her hand next to his face with his. “It will become less painful with time – at least I hope so.” Gently he caressed her palm with his thumb. “I can’t handle to lose you now, my darlin'. So I beg you to stay by my side and give me the time to find a way to lessen your pain.”

Rogue observed his hurt features marveling that he calls himself a man who is not good with words. “Okay.”

“Promise?”

She slung her arms around his neck feeling him return the embrace, his arms encircling her back. “Yeah, Ah promise to stay by your side a little longer.” They’d switched their places from years ago.

X X X X X X X X X X X X

They were finally alone, though her family and the good doctor were probably waiting for them in the hallway. Rogue contemplated how and when was the right time to finally tell Logan about his long lost past. The last thing in the world was to hurt the man she loved – more than she already had done, but his voice in her mind supported her decision that he could handle his dark past better than to suffer further with the lack of knowledge his life consisted of.

All the places they’d visited in the last months, he’d always desperately searched for something familiar, something that might trigger a memory - a place, a smell – but nothing. Every time he thought a memory fragment was within his grasp, he tried to remember, concentrated harder, but in vain. She didn’t have to ask if he believed to have finally found something familiar, she saw the faint hope in his features and then every time Rogue noticed this deep sadness in his hazel eyes, the torment of his soul, when his memories remained a mystery.

She had to tell him, at least a small part, so he could decide on his own. The brunette sat still on the bed watching him close the duffel bag. “Ah also have Victor in mah head.” She whispered suddenly knowing his ears would catch her light words. Abruptly his steps neared her and she looked up from her lap, meeting his concerned gaze.

Immediately Logan was by his Marie’s side sinking down on the free spot next to her. Gasping for air he squeezed his eyes shut while he pulled her into a tight embrace. “Victor? … No. Please not that monster! It’s worse enough you have me floating in your mind.” This was what Wilson had tried to tell him when Rogue had returned from the cafeteria. It wasn’t him who got control of her, but that monster. After a moment just holding her he felt her hands on his chest gently pushing them apart. To his surprise there were no tears and no torment in her eyes – at least not in that moment – but to his confusion he found happiness reflected in her brown orbs. “How are you, darlin’?”

“He's not a monster.” She caught sight of his startled expression. “Ah mean he is a monster, but there is more. He’s … sad. Sadness about the betrayal and the loneliness.” Suddenly a wave of emotions and memories washed over her when she tried to access Victor’s memories without his presence taking over her again. “Ah think he’s afraid of being alone. It was never easy for him to trust anybody, except ya. Everybody around him is dying, why should he form ties to people he knows he would outlive easily. The only constant in his life was always ya and then ya turned your back on him and choose to lead a normal life, forming bonds with people ya would see eventually die; a life in which there was no place for him.” She locked her eyes with his. “Ah think ya know how he feels. It was the same reason for ya. Ya simply wanted to protect your heart from further scars, that’s why ya decided to don’t form any ties.”

Logan frowned, becoming more and more concerned about Rogue’s state of mind. “Marie? What the fuck are you talkin' 'bout?”

A bright smile appeared on her lips, she was really exited, he could tell. “Logan, he is the key!” She still sorted out the multiple memory fragments and emotions.

“The Key?” Now she had lost him.

“To your past!” If she didn’t have his attention she had it now. Rogue remembered a nightmare Logan had told her about one night. “Logan, the dark haired boy in your dreams about your childhood was Victor.” She paused a moment giving him time to let the information sink in. “The two of you had spent 150 years together. He's angry on ya, ‘cause ya left him all alone. Ya moved on with your life.”

“Together?!” A eyebrow rose in disbelief.

She chuckled when she got his path of thinking. “Victor is your older brother, sugah!” She saw the mixture of surprise and disbelief on his features. “It makes all sense now. Ya two having the same abilities ‘n all!”

“My brother?!” His eyes moved fast as he tried to remember, to verify this information.

“Yes.” Rogue watched him, praying for him to finally gain a part of his lost past. But after a minute he closed his eyes in the all too familiar manner, misery in his expression. With her smile the excitement vanished from her face. “Nothing?” The sadness in his brown orbs was breaking her heart. “Ah’m sorry, sugah.”

X X X X X X X X X X X X

Logan readjusted the strap of the duffel bag on his shoulder and a small smile tugged on his lips. “Thanks, doc. It’s rare for my kind to be treated decently by normal people.”

Dr. Wilson smiled. “It was the least I could do. You saved my daughter and my wife.” A frown appeared on Logan’s forehead and he followed Wilson and Rogue to the waiting area next to the elevators, where the D’Ancantos were talking with the woman and her daughter from the mall.

When they neared the group Mrs. Wilson was smiling up at them. “I just wanted to thank you two, before you leave. Things'd have turned out like at the other… incidences when you hadn’t reacted.”

He nodded unsure what to say. Logan wasn’t used to being thanked for for killing a bunch of people and what confused him even more was that he couldn’t smell fear from the woman or her kid, though both had witnessed the Wolverine taking over, massacre the soldiers one after one. Maybe Wilson should talk his wife into seeing a shrink.

The small girl Logan had saved from Sabretooth’s men a few days ago pulled on his jeans signaling the tall man to bend down. Curious what the child would want from him he crouched down being on eye-level with her. “What is it, kid?”

The girl smiled at him, revealing one of her baby teeth was missing. “Can I see your claws again?”

“You aren’t scared?” Melissa shook her head her blond pigtails swinging from one side to the other. Logan saw the expectation in her small face; her puppy dog eyes pleading. Sighting he slid very slowly his claws from his right hand, hoping no one else of the nurses would watch.

“Ooh shiny!” The girl giggled, but her exclamation brought a flashback up in Logan’s mind.

“What’s wrong?” “Logan?” Wilson and Rogue asked when the mutant stared a little lost into the space before him.

A moment later the flashback was over and Wolverine back in the present. “I remembered… My brother said the same.”

The child was fascinated by the glittering metal. “Does your brother have also claws?”

Logan was uncertain about his new memory and the question about Victor. “He has a different kind.” A moment later he added. “He ain’t a nice guy, you know.”

“Why?”

Rogue bent down a little. “He’s jealous about Logan’s shiny claws.”

“Oh… They are sooooo cool!” Melissa bent forward and kissed Logan’s cheek. “Thank you!” she said and ran off to her father’s office leaving a perplexed man behind.

“Wow. Ya are a womanizer! Ah’ll open up a fanclub for ya.” Rogue chuckled.

Logan’s brow was lifted sliding his claws back in as he watched the girl enter an office. “Yeah, for girls from 5 to 17 years, huh?!”

“What does that mean?!” Rogue blushed a little.

Chuckling Logan stood up full aware of his Marie’s flushed cheeks. “Everybody at the mansion knew you had a crush on me back when we first met!”

Rogue’s eyes widened and her cheeks burned fire red. “Ya knew?! Asshole!” Swiftly she slipped her gloved hand in Logan’s trouser-pocket retrieving the car keys. “Ah’ll fetch the car. Ya can come when ya’re done flirting!” She strode away boiling inwardly.

“You can still be the fanclub’s chief!” He called after her when she pushed the close button on the elevator doors and the doors slit shut. “Just hope she won’t drive off without me.”

Chapter End Notes:
Feedback and criticism are welcomed!