Author's Chapter Notes:
WARNING: Blood, violence and bad language
DISCLAIMER: I own nothing
This is the Victor chapter. But please don’t imagine the Sabertooth from X1, but the cool Victor portrayed by Liev Schreiber in Origins.
CHAPTER 2


It was already late in the morning and their planned breakfast turned into an ample brunch. Rogue sat at the wooden table in front of their cottage in the bright sun, the warm rays drying her bikini while she wrote some notes into her book from her laptop. Most of the subject matters of her final year at school were already saved to her laptop when she had left the mansion and now Rogue studied on her own, with a little pressure from Wolverine.

Logan leaned back on the bench across from her taking a bite from his scrambled eggs. “We get guests, darlin’.” He folded the newspaper back together.

Chewing down her sweet breakfast Rogue set her pencil down and turned her head towards the direction Logan was indicating. Her family walked down the lakeside her parents smiling at them while Josh waved. “Hi.” The young woman smiled back.

“Morning.” Logan took a drag from his cigar inhaling the tobacco earning a disapproving frown from Mr. D’Ancanto.

Her mother hoped her husband wouldn’t stir up an argument about lung cancer. “Good morning. Ya were already swimming, Marie?”

“Yup. Ah couldn’t resist.”

Josh bent forward looking into Rogue’s notes making a face. “Ya’re doing homework? Thought ya’re on vacation.”

“Ah’m not as lazy as ya, Josh.”

“Ya should take a leaf out of your sister’s book, mah son.” Their father was impressed, Marie was always good at school, but after she had to stay at home, she hardly read anything.

Logan exhaled. “She wouldn’t start on her own if I wouldn’t bring her the laptop and her notebook.”

“Ah would.” The brunette defended herself.

Logan lifted his brow. “Sure. And pigs fly.”

“Genetically enhanced pigs surly could do that.”

Mr. D’Ancanto was as startled as was his wife. “Ya want her to study?” Maybe this man was a teacher after all.

The instance they saw him Logan knew her parents had labelled him as the bad guy, who would exploited their sweet little daughter – the smoking in the morning didn’t help. “She’s a bright head. I want her to have at least a high-school graduation.”

Sighing Rogue closed her book. “Logan had already talked with the professor so Ah can do the exams when we return.”

“Professor?”

“Professor Charles Xavier. The founder and principal of the school Ah was.” The brunette stuffed her computer back into its bag.

Disbelieving her father locked eyes with the other man. “Ya really did this for Marie?”

Logan shrugged. “I may be the bad guy but I promised to take care of her. And I’m not gonna break this promise.”

“Ya aren’t half as bad as people say, sugar.” She got a doubtful view from Wolverine. “Ah had ya in mah head for years and we travel together for months. Ah know your quirks, Logan.” Rogue stacked her empty plate and her still full and hot cup of coffee onto her book and laptop, eventually lifting the heap up into her arms. “Ah’ll be back in a minute. Gonna get dressed.” Balancing the items she rose from the bench and made her way to the hut. Suddenly a scream and glass crushing startled everyone.

Reacting on his instincts Logan was already by Marie’s side, who were putting down her notebook bag on the grass. Immediately Logan kneed down inspecting her feet for burns or scratches of the hot coffee or the glass. “Are you hurt?”

“No. It was just the shock.” Rogue shook her head and watched her friend rise to his feet. Logan offered her his hand and with hesitation the brunette took it, entangling their fingers. Praying she closed her eyes and took a few deep breaths.

They waited a moment in silence, just standing there, their bare hands linked while her family observed them. Finally Logan squeezed her fingers. “Nothing.” She opened her eyes again meeting his worried gaze. “Be more careful, darlin’. This could have triggered your mutation.”

They let go of their hands and Rogue crossed her arms before her chest. “Ah know. It isn’t like Ah don’t wanna retard it.”

“Maybe it won’t come back.” Her mother wanted to help and approached the two.

This earned her an evil glare from the mutant. “It will eventually. Making her false hopes is not helpin'.”

“But-“

Rogue gathered the bits of broken glass onto the plate and lifted the new heap up again. “He's right, Mom. It’s just a matter of time. And until then Ah have to make the best out of the time Ah've left.”

A frown appeared on the older woman’s face. “That almost sounds as if ya’re gonna die.”

“Don’t be ridicules.” Rogue smiled but her eyes betrayed her. She saw Logan’s worried features and walked up to him the two steps. “How about we get finally going? Ah want mah pendant ya’d promised.”

He knew she wanted to detract from her feelings about her mutation. “Everything your heart desires, Marie.” Logan eventually answered. Then he threw a glance towards the D’Ancantos. “We’ll go to the mall. If you don’t have any other plans, you could join us. I’m sure Marie would enjoy spending some time with her family.”

X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X

Two hours later Logan leaned against the counter of the jeweler watching Marie and her mother contemplating which pendant was prettier. Josh was yawning for the nth time since they’d set foot into that shop. “How long can it take to buy some stupid stone? Ooh, look the dolphin is so cute, ooh but it’s making such a sad face! How can a fish look sad anyway?” The boy rolled his eyes.

“Josh, behave!” His father hissed suppressing a yawn.

Rogue walked up to the three men. “Dolphins are mammalians no fishes.”

“Whatever. Are ya finished?”

She smiled up to Logan. “Ah picked one.”

Wolverine returned her smile and retrieved his wallet. “Which one?”

“The duck.”

“’Cause of the obtrusive brute today in the mornin' that was doggin' you while swimmin'?!” Logan chuckled remembering the picture.

The brunette laughed. “Ya watched? Ah thought it would follow me even to the land.”

“It was just too funny.”

“The duck was startled ‘cause skunks normally don’t swim in its lake.” Josh was laughing he had missed teasing his sister, but to his dismay she ignored him.

The salesclerk gave the change back to Logan. “Shall I wrap it?”

“Nah, not necessary.” Wolverine took the animal shaped pendant from the counter and hung it onto a free place on Rogue's wristlet she was holding out to him while smiling happily. “There you go, darlin’.”

Her features glowed out of joy when she bent forward kissing Logan on the cheek. “Thanks, sugar.”

“Hey, it’s still a part of your birthday present.” He slung his arm around her shoulders and they went out, her mother and Josh on their heels.

Just Mr. D’Ancanto took a moment longer, watching his little daughter and this stranger with a wary look. The salesclerk must have seen this. “I'd also worry when my little girl’s boyfriend could be her father.”

He met the eyes of the other man. “They say they are only friends.” He slowly left the shop and followed the others down the hallway.

“Ah’m hungry.” Josh complained.

Mrs. D’Ancanto was puzzled. “Already? Breakfast isn’t that long ago.”

“The” the boy looked onto his watch “quarter hour seems to me like a whole day.”

“We got it, Joshie. It bored ya to death.” Rogue stopped and faced everybody. “Where should we go next?”

“No girly stuff, k.”

Wolverine shot the boy a glare. “How long did you have your girlfriend?”

“Two weeks.” Josh didn’t see the point in the mutant’s question. He wondered whence the man knew about this – his sister must have told him.

“Really that long?!” Logan smirked. “Were you hanging out with her in the mall?”

“Yeah, almost every day.”

“Let me guess. Most of the time you were in game stores?” An eyebrow went up.

“Yes, and?”

Rogue couldn’t hold in her laughter. “Give it up, Logan! He’s so clueless!”

“It could have been three weeks, if you had taken her to some girly stores from time to time.” Logan was also laughing about the puzzled face of the boy.

“Ya think so?!”

Suddenly Logan lifted his hand into the air. “Shh!” He listened harder.

Rogue got a little scared. She had learned early in their friendship to trust into Logan’s instincts. “What’s wrong, L-“ Her words were swallowed by the noise of the fire doors sliding shut and the lights went out.

Logan analyzed the situation. There was something terrible wrong. No fire alarm was to hear. He noticed the startled and scared faces of the few other people in the corridor. “They are here!” He finally said and grasped Rogue by the wrist. “We've to get outta here!”

“Who’s here?” Josh asked but was pulled by the arm by his sister.

When they reached the fire escape, two security guards were already opening the door to the staircase while a third gathered the people of the floor together.

“What’s going on?” someone questioned but never got an answer.

Logan was the first to hear the heavy boots that moved slowly down the hallways. He was already on the stairs when he stopped in his track. “Get the people outta here!” his voice was directed to Rogue.

“What’s with ya?” Mrs. D’Ancanto asked fear apparent in her features.

“Gonna buy time!”

Rogue encircled Logan’s hand before his claws had a chance to emerge. “Logan, we need ya! We don’t know what’s ahead!” Her brown eyes pleaded with him.

“You’re right.” He grasped her hand in a firm grip racing down the stairs with her. The group arrived at the first floor and two of the guards checked carefully the hallway. “Ok, go right it’s the shortest way.”

Logan listened hard. “No, this way! They're already behind that corner!”

One of the guards wanted to object when three shoots echoed through the hallway freezing everybody in their tracks.

A teenage girl finally asked. “What’s happening? A robbery?”

“Don’t think so!” Logan pulled Rogue behind him, everybody following them down the corridor.

“Terrorists? Mutants?” The business man was shaking and pressed his notebook-bag to his chest.

Logan rolled his eyes. “That was M4 riffle fire. Mutants would use their powers.”

The blond security guard was astonished. “Were you in the Army?”

“Dunno. Somethin' like that.”

“They jammed communications, I can’t order backup.” The small watchman held his walkie-talkie and cell phone in his hands sounding despaired.

Eventually the group reached a hall with escalators leading two stories upwards. Rogue was about to run down another hallway, when the fire door rolled down from above capturing the group in the hall. Logan pulled her back behind him listening to the approaching footfalls. “They're here.”

“You know how to fight?”

“You bet!” Logan saw the skinny guard retrieve a spare gun from his leg. “No thanks. Got my own weapons.” With that said his sharp adamantium claws slid from the flesh between his knuckles making everybody but Rogue jump.

“He’s a mutant!” Some of the people shouted and the guards immediately pointed their guns on him.

Humans!’Logan was annoyed. “Hey, do I shoot at you or they do? I’m here to help you!” Slowly they lowered their weapons and Logan faced the adults in the group. “Take the kids to the back! Stay close together!” He had just finished when a shoot ran through the hall and the blond security guard fell to the ground. “Shit!” Logan saw Rogue ran towards the wounded man pressing her scarf on the bleeding. “What do you think you are doin', Marie?! Stay in the back, damnit!” Wolverine hissed while graping the man by the uniform pulling him to the wall everybody stood. “Get down!” Logan screamed to the scared people and then faced Rogue. “You stay here! I’m serious!” Before the young woman could answer he was already gone to the front.

Three soldiers heavily armed came down the escalator while at least a dozen others came from the two unclosed corridors pointing their riffles on the crowd ready to fire. Suddenly a dark laugh resounded from the walls and the soldiers stopped.

Startled Logan looked up to the source of the sound.

“Long time no seen, Wolverine!”

“Sabretooth!” Logan bared his claws stepping closer to Victor who crouched on the balustrade of the second floor smiling down on him. “What’s the cause for this massacre?”

“Oh, don’t you read the newspaper, Jimmy? All those cured mutants get their powers back and run amok. Killin' innocent people. Someone has to stop them.”

Jimmy?’ Logan was confused but pushed this thought in the back of his mind, there were more important things at hand. “You're the aggressors!”

A cat-like grin plastered Victor’s features. “Oh really? The news said something else.”

“We just made the first steps to live in freedom and peace with mankind! You won’t destroy what we've achieved!” Logan watched the other mutant jump down the five meters landing with ease.

Smirking Victor rose to a standing position, his nails growing longer. “The war will come, runt. It’s inevitable.” He sounded excited.

“I won’t let this happen! Their deaths would be in vain!” Both men dashed forward meeting half way, their claws ripped through the flesh of the other. Logan let himself fall to the back using the momentum to throw Creed a few meters away, but his enemy landed on his feet continuing his attack immediately. Five nails came down on Wolverine when he rolled to the side in the last second knocking Creed the legs to the side. His adamantium claws found their way into Sabretooth’s chest, but his own shoulder was pierced by the other man’s weapons.

X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X

Rogue watched helplessly as Logan was thrown into a shop window, the glass cracked into hundreds of sharp splinters. Meanwhile the soldiers had encircled them, having disarmed and knocked the two guards unconscious. It seemed like the soldiers were waiting for new orders and also watched in awe the mutants’ fight.

“What the hell are those monsters?!” said the business man when a large gash on Wolverine’s head healed within seconds, hiding the metal under skin again.

Rogue looked around seeing the same fear in the faces of the other hostages. It seemed they were more afraid of the two mutants than of the soldiers in front of them with their guns aimed. “Logan is no monster! He's fighting here for all of us!”

X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X

Eventually Logan was able to knock Creed unconscious and readied himself for the final blow when a high pitched scream drew his attention to a small girl crying and a soldier picking her up and shaking her angrily. “I told you to shut the hell up!”

Her mother pleaded. “Please! Give her back! I will calm her!”

The man only smirked. “Doesn’t matter when she dies! But the sooner the better for my nerves!”

Before he could pull the trigger his riffle fell into five pieces and he felt cold metal against his neck.

“You gonna kill innocent people, lil' children? Your own kind?!” Logan slowly pulled the girl into his free arm her small hands immediately gripped the collar of his torn and blood splattered shirt.

The disarmed soldier saw his comrades aim their guns on Wolverine. “We just follow orders! Every war inflicts casualties!”

“Following orders like brainless puppets?!” He hissed knowing he was surrounded. With a gentler voice he locked eyes with the child in his arm. “Close your eyes, kid, and whatever happens don’t look!” The blond girl obeyed closing her blue eyes.

Less that a second later adamantium claws tore the soldier’s throat open. His blood rained down while a salvo of bullets hit Logan in the back. Unimpressed the mutant simply turned around ripping two more soldiers apart, the other men stepped back a little avoiding his claws. Logan threw them a dark glance while carrying the child to her mother, placing her into her waiting arms. “Thank you!” She even smiled at him.

“Get back down.” Logan barked when a new bullet found its way to his body, this time to his head. Like in slow motion his legs slipped away and he fell to the ground out cold.

Sabretooth threw the riffle back to one of his men, hitting Logan in the gut with his boot. “I really wanna kill you, Jimmy, but first things first.” Creed approached the humans, the three security guards disarmed and wounded, his own men aiming at the hostages waiting for Creed’s order.

Rogue watched the mutant muster the crowd fearing he would recognize her.

Suddenly he stopped in his tracks. “If this isn’t the little sponge? You grew up, got a new hairstyle… Oh yeah, and as my orders say, you took the cure voluntarily!” His sing-song speech ended in a disgusted and with hatred filled tone. “You should have died three years ago; it’s time we make up for it.”

Marie stepped back helplessly looking to Logan’s fallen form. “He's out for the next minute. A bullet to the brain needs time to heal.” The girl knew he was right; she needed to buy time till Logan was well again. Without further thinking she landed a kick to his stomach.

“Should that hurt?” Victor grasped her fist that was aimed to his middle and dug his nails into her flesh. Marie’s scream became more intense when he broke her arm with ease. “Already missin' your powers, fuckin' traitor?” She fell to the floor holding her smashed arm when he let go off her.

“Leave mah sister alone!” Josh screamed causing a soldier to aim his riffle at him.

“Shut up, boy. You’ll be next.” The man approached Josh holding his weapon in front of the kid’s face. Mr. D’Ancanto grasped his son by the shirt and pulled him behind himself.

Victor readied his nails when a scream of one of his soldiers startled him and a moment later the man’s bleeding body crashed into his own frame with so much impact that he was thrown into the next glass window.

Logan made his way towards Sabretooth stabbing two more soldiers on his way. His eyes fell on Rogue. The young woman winced in pain, but whispered “Ah’m fine.” knowing Wolverine’s enhanced hearing would catch her words.

“You are not, darlin’. I’m gonna hurry up.” Logan was about to run towards Creed when the soldier aiming his gun at Rogue’s father and brother stepped forward, ready to fire. Wolverine changed his direction but doubt he would reach the man in time.

Breathing fast Josh encircled the barrel with his hand, sending a pulse along the metal into the soldier’s body. The man fell down to the floor out cold.

Logan’s brow moved upwards in surprise. “Nice, Pikachu.”

Sabretooth was already on his feet walking towards the other mutant pulling glass from his upper arm. “You always have to interfere with my fun, haven’t you?” Suddenly he bent down on his hands and began to run on all fours towards Logan. He sprang to his enemy with catlike grace bearing his nails and digging them into Logan’s chest, making both of them fall to the floor. His fast reflects helped Wolverine to hit his foot into Victor’s stomach flapping them over while his claws ripped through the other man’s arm. Their struggle began anew with both of them inflicting damage to the other man’s body that healed immediately.

“Could do this for all fuckin' eternity. Too bad I got my orders!” Creed pinned Logan down on the floor slipping a dagger from his back to his hand and stabbed it right through Wolverine’s stomach. Smiling he looked up towards his men. “End it now. Start with the traitor!”

Logan pulled the knife from his body, his pulse throbbed in his ears, hardly comprehending Victor’s words. Gathering his strength again, he jabbed the knife in Sabretooth’s leg rolling his own body to the side and jumping to his feet. In this moment a lone shot echoed through the hall and Logan saw a body crumble to the floor. His heart skipped a beat when his eyes fell on Rogue’s lifeless form, blood coloring her white streaks red. “Mariiiiiieeeee!” Everything forgotten Wolverine dashed forward toward the young woman, but five sharp claws in his chest stopped him.

“Oh, no. You stay here!” Victor immediately threw his fist to his opponent’s face and his nails dug into Logan’s shoulder.

Wolverine’s eyes never left Rogue’s body, her mother trying to stop the bleeding. His wounds began healing faster as he removed Sabretooth’s nails. Holding the other man’s hand he crushed his bones with ease blocking the fist that was aimed for his face. Adamatium claws tore into Victor’s chest lifting his body up into the air. Ignoring Creed’s screams Wolverine threw his frame towards an already broken pipe, piercing the metal through Sabretooth’s stomach.

Shocked the soldiers watched their invincible leader fell unconscious being pinned on the wall. Logan tightened his chin, his cold glance fell upon the four soldiers that made the mistake to come his way. Their riffles ready they shot each a salvo hitting Wolverine in his chest. But this didn’t stop him, his rage grew with every strike. Immediately the bullets were pushed out of the flesh when his body kept regenerating. Blood dripped from silver claws while the soldiers fell screaming to the ground one after one. Most of their comrades backed a little off, trying to avoid the enraged animal that tore one soldier after the other bloody. Logan scanned the surroundings he was about to attack the next man when he caught sight of the lifeless body of his secret love. Slowly his mind calmed from the fury.

Logan staggered forward tears welled up in his eyes. Carefully he lifted the young woman’s bleeding and limp form, ignoring her parents’ objections. He held her firm against his body wiping her red-white strain out of her face. “Marie! Please come back! Marie!” He pressed her face against his own one – skin to skin. “No! Oh God! Not her too!” He maneuvered his hands to her bare upper arms amplifying their skin contact while he prayed for a wonder - for her mutation to return - to save her as it did years ago. But her body remained limp in his arms, not the usually pull, no sign of her powers. “Please! Marie! Don’t die on me!”

All eyes were on Wolverine grieving for the girl in his arms. They watched as he eventually kissed her forehead whispering between sobs “You can’t be gone, darling. This can’t be true.” slowly accepting the young woman’s death. Marie’s mother cried while her husband hugged her.

Crying Logan carefully lay Marie’s body on the cold ground placing her hands folded on her stomach. His finger traced along her cheek memorizing every inch of her beautiful face. He frowned suddenly when he felt a weak pull on his fingertip. New hope dawned when he placed his hand on her forehead and the pull intensified. “Marie?” Logan lifted her body up into his arms pressing their cheeks together. “Please Marie!” Slowly his life-force was absorbed by her body, their skin contracting so their veins became clearly visible. He felt her heartbeat return, her lungs resuming their work… and everything going black.

X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X

“Noooooooooo!” Rogue pushed Wolverine’s unconscious frame away from her body, finally breaking their skin contact. Shaking she took some deep breaths, calming herself while her mind tried to grasp what just happened. Her eyes were glued to Logan’s lifeless form, blood dripping from various reopened wounds while she whispered his name.

In the meantime Victor’s injuries had healed and he approached Logan, a cat-like smirk plastered on his face. “Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy… You and the girls! Always wondered what happens when I cut your head off!” Victor’s nails grew even more and he struck out – Logan’s neck his destination. Suddenly a sharp pain ripped through his hands as two pair bone claws dug their way through his flesh. Loosing his balance when something pulled him to the side, he fell to the floor only to jump back to his feet again.

Sabretooth looked up to his attacker standing confident before him. “Ooh cute, lil' Marie got claws! Do you wanna tickle me?”

“Ah am Rogue!” With that the brunette dashed forward baring her bone claws. Her opponent expected her to simply stab him, but unanticipated she stopped her attack a moment before her claws reached Victor and landed a roundhouse-kick to his ribcage, sending him flying a few feet away. Without delay she jumped to his new position scratching his arm while he rolled to the side avoiding her attack. As her claws ripped in the now empty pavement he brought his own weapons down on her just to be blocked in the last second.

“You got some nice tricks, kid! But they won’t save you!” Victor kicked her hard in the stomach sending her flying against the wall, her bones breaking on the impact. Immediately she stumbled to her feet stretching to bring her healing rips into the right positions. Rogue blocked his next swing launching a counter attack only to be blocked by Victor in turn. He brought his nails down on her head, his palms suddenly being pierced by the other mutant’s claws. “Whadya think you can do, whitey-locks?”

“This!” Rogue withdrew the claws of her right hand and grasped Victor’s wrist holding it with all her might.

“Shit!” his eyes widened in understanding. He had made a big mistake to underestimate her.

Rogue felt her enemy's life-force flow into her body, his enhanced healing added to Logan’s abilities and sped up the closing of her wounds. Pictures of his life floated into her mind: Memories of Magneto and the Statue of Liberty, of wars that took place over a century ago, the massacres he enjoyed under Stryker’s command decades ago, a promise he made with his younger brother to always protect each other, the bond he shared with one of his comrades… his brother, they were always side by side on the front-lines, fighting back to back in all big wars of the last 150 years protecting each other as promised. “Ya are…” Rogue recognized Victor’s younger brother immediately. Shocked, she let go of his wrist and bent down to his unconscious body. Knowing exactly where to search the young mutant retrieved a set of dog-tags from his front pocket. “Those don’t belong to ya.”

The soldiers panicked when they saw their invincible commander being defeated by a young woman. “Creed’s down! Mission failed! We have to retreat, sir!”

“The mission is not yet over, Lieutenant! We must not leave any witnesses behind!”

Rogue cut the riffle in two stabbing her other claw in the Captain’s stomach. “Ya think so.” While his senior officer fell bleeding to the ground the younger Lieutenant ordered his few, still capable of walking soldiers to take Victor and back out.

X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X X

The ambulance and police arrived only minutes after the emergency call was send out.

Two paramedics approached the young woman that was shoved away by their colleagues from the bad injured man on the floor. “We'll take a look on you, k?”

“Don’t touch me!”

“You’re covered with blood. I have to check on you.” The man carefully held his hand out to her.

“Ah told ya to not touch me!” Claws breaking through the young woman’s knuckles made the paramedics froze.

The blond woman recovered a little faster than her partner. “It’s fine. We won’t touch you.” After hearing this, the mutant withdrew her weapons and kneed down next to the bad injured man, who was already checked by another paramedic team. “Ya have to save him! Please!” Tears ran down her cheeks.

“The pulse is faint. He’s loosing a lot of blood through the wound on the stomach.” The ambulance man removed the makeshift bandage. “There's some kind of metal piece sticking in his chest!”

The mutant woman watched an IV be attached to her friend’s arm. “Ya can’t remove that metal from him! It’s on his bones!” She said between sobs. “Please! He’s a mutant, but he saved these people here! Please help him!” Fear for her friend was evident on her features.

Two of the security guards came closer. “This man and this young woman fought alone against our attackers. They saved us.”

The aides swiftly looked on the torn bodies of the soldiers. Finally understanding that something else must have happened and the military wasn’t there to help. “Bring a stretcher! He needs a surgery!” One of the paramedics finally called.

While they wheeled the stretcher with patient to the car, the younger mutant never left their side. “May Ah come with ya?”

The female paramedic traded a view with her colleague, then she nodded.

Chapter End Notes:
Feedback and criticism are welcomed!