Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: I own nothing

A/N: Thanks again for the wonderful reviews!

Be sure to read the note at the end of this chapter.

And SORRY for the long wait, but my router broke and my little sis is sick.
Epilogue

They were in the middle of their meal and Logan couldn't keep his eyes and thoughts away from the beauty sitting next to him. For nothing in the world he would overstrain the young woman that meant everything to him, but he finally made his decision to show her she belonged to him and always would.

He placed his fork down on the scratched tabletop and retrieved his tags from under his shirt, aware that Rogue had also stopped eating and was observing his movements. Without hesitation he took the smaller chain with the second metal piece off and his gaze locked with hers.

"Logan." The brunette's breath caught in her throat.

Carefully the Canadian lifted her small hand with his and placed the short chain around her slender wrist. It fitted perfectly. "I want you to have one part of them." His voice was full of emotion as were his chocolate eyes.

She caught his hand just as he broke their contact holding him with her. "Ah can't take it. That's a too precious gift, Logan." She was near tears again.

Logan's gaze softened even more on her, his eyes shone in pure love down on her as he squeezed her fingers lightly in reassurance. "Marie, I know that you know what those tags mean to me. That's why I want to share them with you." Both his dark eyebrows hitched upwards to underline his next words. "You're my family."

'Holy crap! Jimmy is serious!'

'Victor!' Rogue was annoyed about the disturbance, but got curious. 'About what is he serious?'

'You honestly ask, runt?! He gives you his goddamn dog tags!'

'Victor?'

'He's serious 'bout you, you dense chick!'

'But…'

'Argh, kiss him, runt!' Victor growled frustrated. 'Damnit, if none of you make the first move, you'll just keep staring at him for the next fucking decades!'

'But…'

'Shit, runt! Jimmy is a coward. Always were.' The feral paused a moment. 'Why do you think our Jimmy here is so quiet every time we discuss this fuckin' topic? He's hidin' in your mind tail turned.'

'But why? He knows how Ah feel 'bout him?!'

'Coz he's a fucking idiot.'

'That's no answer, Victor.'

'He could speak for himself if he had the guts…'

'True.' Suddenly there was a threatening growl.

'We know you're listening, Jimmy!'

'Logan, do ya love me?' Again the growling stopped. 'Logan?'

'See… He's a damn coward!'

'But why?' Rogue was at a loss

'I can only guess, but maybe he thinks you deserve better that a vicious blood thirsty animal like him.'

'But Ah love him! Ah know him, know the Wolverine in him is cravin' for blood! He's in mah mind for years, damnit! Regardless he's the only one Ah always wanted, even when Ah was with Bobby!'

'Don't tell me, runt! Tell him! The real him!'

'But…'

A dark and low growl thundered through her mind. 'I have the urge to rip that lovesick heart of yours out off your chest and throw it before Jimmy's fuckin' feet!'

"Marie?" A hand on her bare cheek pulled her finally back to reality. "What is it?"

Startled she took in the worried gaze her friend gave her. "Logan…" She blinked at him pushing the cursing voice of the older feral further back into her mind, turning him down in volume.

"What's wrong, darlin'?" God, he was worried. He never liked it when she would space out like that, but in the past he knew she would be only caught up in a conversation with one of her psyches; now the situation had changed and he feared her own personality would be swallowed by the darkness he and his brother always lived with and had brought upon this innocent girl.

Victor was right; his little brother wouldn't give his tags to anyone like that. She closed her eyes a moment. When she opened them again, she locked her grave view with the man's before her. "I told ya, I have your … presence in my mind."

Logan sensed what her next words would be and decided to remain silent leaving the first step to her.

Seeing his intense brown eyes Rogue cast her gaze down onto her lap and fiddled with her cotton sleeves while her resolve slowly died.

'Bloody hell! What's fuckin' wrong with the two of you? I'm stuck with my coward brother in his coward wanna-be-girlfriend's mind for all fuckin' eternity!' Victor's temper flared. 'How can two people be so damn dense?' He wanted to jump her and drove his claws into her cursed skin, but cussing was the only way to vent his anger. 'Worst is I can't even skin someone alive! Cuz I ain't got no fuckin' claws! Oh yeah, fuckin' is the other subject that sucks! Cuz I ain't got n-'

'Victor! Stop it!' Can she blush in her mind? Is this even possible? If it is she would be as red as a tomato. 'Ah got it, ya hate to be locked up in mah head! Thought we were through with this issue?! Listen, ya won, 'k! Ah will tell Logan, but ya will keep your fucking mouth shut!'

'Deal, though I have no mouth.'

'Victor!'

'Yeah, got it, runt. But ladies first.'

Taking a deep breath Rogue gather her courage and finally met Logan's gaze. "Ya have feelings for me." He remained quiet. "More… than just the platonic love for a good friend." Rogue helplessly searched for the right words to continue but became more unsettled by Logan's silence. Was it wrong what the voices told her, is she just making a fool out of herself? "Ah… umm."

Eventually Logan gave in. With a shy smile he encircled her small gloved hands with his large ones. "I don't need to have you in my mind to know that you're returning my feelings, Marie."

A stone fell from Rogue's heart. She smiled and tears of joy glittered in her hazel eyes and little butterflies made her stomach flip in joy. "So ya do love me?"

"Yeah, with my heart an' soul." Her smile widened and her features lit up, while her face moved nearer to Logan's, her lips finally captured his. Her heart skipped a beat when he deepened her kiss, his tongue pushed lightly against her lower lip while his hand buried itself in her auburn hair.

Instinctively she opened her mouth slightly granting his hot tongue the long desired access. He slipped in, finally tasting her as their tongues met for the first time, his tugging on her inexperienced one. Moaning against his hungry mouth Rogue brought her covered hands up to his neck, dragging her fingers through his dark mane.

Logan was about to further explore her mouth, when his mind became cloudy and dizziness and exhaustion settled in his body. First he couldn't place those uncomfortable, but familiar sensations, his thoughts caught within the kiss. But then the pain came as his skin contracted and his veins stuck out from his cheeks.

This kiss was wonderful, more passionate than her first with Cody, yet gentler as the desperate one she had shared with Bobby. There were so many emotions put behind his lips brushing against hers, his burning love for her flowing right into her very soul only fuelling her own love for this man. She felt his worry for her mental state and his bone shaking fear of loosing her, his need for her simply being by his side pour into her and her heart skipped a beat as realisation struck Marie.

Without a second thought her hands untangled from his hair and pushed firmly, almost with brutal force, against her love's chest while her lips broke away from his mouth. Her eyes were wide and tears welled up as she watched Logan slump towards the tabletop steadying his heavy weight with his hands on the wood. "Ah'm sorry. Ah didn't want to." She sobbed pushing herself further into her chair as the other mutant shook his head to clear it and panted heavily.

It took Logan a minute to regain his former strength, but when his view wasn't blurred any more, he faced the crying brunette his still shaking hands reaching out for hers. "Shh." He cooed when he pulled the struggling girl to her feet and towards him. "C'mere, Marie." Carefully he pulled her body to his while he sat in his chair and eventually she sank down onto his lap straddling him. "It's fine. We'll find a way." He hugged her tight to his chest, his chin rested on her head as he rubbed her back.

A new flood of tears sprang to her eyes and rolled down her cheeks when she pushed her head from his shoulder and met his kind gaze. "This cannot work, Logan. A relationship with me will never work."

Usually he gave a damn about other peoples' opinions, but in this case the nosy guys might be right. "You know, Marie, we're already a couple … for quite some time now." He tugged her white strain behind her ear and watched her tears subside as she pondered on this new information. "It's the small things in a relationship that really count and make things work. With the ears of mine I'm aware that the kids today think a relationship mainly consists of sex, but knowing every inch of the other's body doesn't mean you indeed know each other or understand one another." He looked deep into her hazel eyes. "Do you get my point, darlin'?"

"So we were together without us knowin' it?" A small smile came to her lips. "No wonder everybody assumes we have a relationship other than friendship." 'Wait! Since when does he think of us as a couple?' Before she could voice that thought her inner Logan spoke up.

'Can't be long, Marie. That's new even for me.'

'Ooh, Jimmy crawled out of his hole and found his voice again!'

'Shut the fucking hell up, Victor, will ya!' Yup his cursing was rubbing off on Rogue.

'Vic, you had a deal with Marie!'

Victor snickered. 'Didn't break it! She didn't say for how long I should keep quiet.'

Logan and Marie were groaning on this. 'You have to be more precise, darlin'.'

'Ya don't say, Logan?!' She mentally rolled her eyes before becoming serious. 'That's important for me now! So please both of ya: shut up!'

X X X X X

Wiping her damp eyes with the back of her hand Rogue's curiosity got the better of her. "So we're a couple?!" She crocked her brow at him with an uncertain smile.

"Sure, Marie… We live together for months… share the bed… cook for each other…" After every example the Canadian had voiced, he placed a tender kiss on Marie's lips while his arms were firmly wrapped around her waist.

Her smile widened and her misery vanished from her eyes as her hands sneaked around his neck. "Love your steamed salmon, sugah." Continuing with his game, she placed a peck onto his lips.

It seemed to work. Her insecurity about a relationship decreased. "Thanks."

"Hey, we even cuddle." Rogue grinned at his pretended angry glare and appeased him with a kiss. "Don't worry, Ah won't tell." Logan growled at her and captured her lips in a more possessive, yet passionate kiss, sucking and nibbling on her sweet lips. On the first tug of her power he broke their contact and smirked at the flushed cheeks of the woman in his arms gasping for air.

He brushed a peck onto her forehead. He simply had to; she looked so damn cute. "We can go shopping for the other blindly." He remembered her glowing features when he had given her that forest green cell phone – he had searched for weeks to find a fitting cover in her favourite colour for the cell he had bought her. Or the other times when he presented her with a mini skirt or bikini in her size. He knew exactly what she liked and what not.

Rogue knew how he hates to buy new clothes – for himself that is – he was always more than willing to accompany her and watch her trying on new outfits. "Ya would still have only two t shirts, three flannel shirts and that one battered jeans, Logan."

He shook his head chuckling, she knew him so well. "You always take care of me." Her little presents she surprised him with from time to time came to his mind, especially the lighter with his name engraved. "Not to forget the little gifts you get me, darlin'." Again a little kiss to her lips.

"That shy little smile ya always hold unwrapping the present warms my heart, sugah."

"Should see your adorable face when I surprise you, my love."

She blushed slightly. "Never thought to hear a word like adorable coming from your lips."

"Nobody 'cept you will ever hear that and live long enough to tell 'bout it." Their lips met again, this time longer and with more passion till her mutation forced them apart. "Our first date lies a long time behind us, darlin'." He noticed her surprise and puzzlement. "How often were we in cinema and eating afterwards or having a drink in a not so shitty bar?"

"Wow, we were dating frequently while Ah was still with Bobby." She remembered their first time out in town in the small pizza restaurant after he had decided to stay after the raid. "Ya even touched me back then… more than my so called boyfriend had."

One of his hands left her waist and cupped her cheek, her hair separating their bare skins. "You yearned for touch. I was never afraid of hugging you or holding your hand."

"Ah know. Ya always treated me like a normal person." She could feel the tears sting at her eyes again.

Her sadness came from her in waves and hit his sensitive nose, making his heart ache. "Marie, you are a normal person. A breathtaking gorgeous young woman I might add." His eyes were serious, pleading with her to finally accept herself as the wonderful woman she was. He took a deep breath and his gaze became almost painful. "God, sometimes it was so fuckin' hard to not kiss you."

A smile tugged on her swollen lips. "Logan, Ah got now, in those past few minutes more kisses from ya than Ah had had before in mah life." Her mouth crushed on his, her own desire for the man driving her, but still having their time limit in the back of her mind.

When she pulled away it was Logan's turn to look a little dazed. "We share the love for hockey – though we don't cheer for the same teams…" This made Rogue smile even more and earned Logan a peck on the lips. "We like horror an' action movies…"

"… and gag on romantic movies." She finished with another quick kiss. "Joshie is right, Titanic is the worst… and Leonardo DiCaprio is a momma's boy." She made a face underlining her dislike.

"You're into real men, huh?"

"Ah have a real man." She corrected Logan with a sly grin and another peck. "Ah love to see the Wolverine fight, ya look so damn sexy." Their faces were hardly separated and while speaking her lips touched his.

Logan growled frustrated about her teasing touch. "Hard to miss that the cage fights turn you on, my darlin'." He closed the distance and nibbled on her lower lip.

"Not the cage fights, only ya and that feral expression." She cooed as he kissed her hungrily. Avoiding the pull of her mutation Rogue gave her Wolverine an once-over, her eyes blazing with lust. "Not to mention that body of yours."

An almost purring growl rumbled in Logan's throat, his hazel eyes darkened as the Wolverine left his confinement and claimed the fervent and possessive kiss that he had yearned for years to be his. His hands sneaked under his flannel shirt she was wearing, roaming over her skin-tight shirt till one of his hands found her breast.

She was like on fire; this heated kiss seemed to last forever while her mutation was humming in frustration about the presence of direct skin contact that was just broken in time to avoid the pull of life-force, but was continued so fast that Marie hardly noticed the loss of Logan's lips. She moaned against his mouth as he squeezed her breast hard and left her even more breathless than she were before. Suddenly Logan's lips didn't return to hers and she was about to whine when he began to trail kisses along her jar to her ear.

His mouth was nibbling the tip of her ear – at least he tried to do it, but then centred his attention onto the sensitive skin of her neck. Rogue could swear she heard him growl "damn earring" and bit down the giggle that threatened to escape her throat. Smiling she watched him kiss his way down her neck to her shoulder and then back up again, while her skin vibrated in frustration. "Ya're teasing mah skin, sugah." Her giggles finally broke free.

Squeezing her breast again Logan grunted between kisses. "Nobody… comes between the Wolverine… and what is his… Not even life-sucking skin."

"Ah'm yours, huh?" Marie feigned her surprise about this confession, her cheeks blushing.

He pulled away from her neck and his dark feral eyes locked with her hazel ones. "Always were." His lips captured hers in a heated kiss. "You know I'm a possessive bastard."

Marie's eyes sparkled with pure joy. "Yep Ah know… and ya're mah possessive bastard, Wolverine."

"Always were." Those words were sealed with a passionate kiss.

Panting heavily the brunette pulled away from her love's lips smiling at him. "We fit together quite well, sugah, don't we?"

Logan's hand on her back pushed her closer to his chest while his mouth went back to caress the tingling skin of her neck. "It's easy to be around each other… We can be ourselves through and through… No pretending… no holding back." With a last squeeze his fingers left her breast and wandered upwards to the hem of his flannel shirt, finally pushing the disturbing cloth down her shoulders, freeing her skin for his lips' exploration.

This action made Rogue tense and suddenly Logan's hands on her felt uncomfortable while her thoughts went back to their bed talk earlier. They could have sex…

Immediately the older mutant smelled her nervousness mixed with rising fear and broke their direct skin contact. Locking his gaze with hers, his eyes returned to their normal hazel color. "Don't worry, darlin'. Just tell me if I'm movin' too fast. Don't wanna make you uncomfortable."

He was looking sincere. Swallowing hard she gathered her courage to not look away. They had always been honest with each other… "Ah'm sorry. Ah'm not ready to have sex… yet."

Running his fingers through her white locks Logan chuckled about her innocence and inexperience; she was so cute, so pure. "Marie, I never intended to get you laid today. Just wanted to make a lil' out. Lookin' is nice, but I wanna finally touch certain spots." His hand slid down her back and groped her butt, making her squeal. "You said yourself, we cuddle… and we were foolin' around a little while ago and not to forget yesterday." He smirked as he felt her relax again in his touch.

One of her hands eventually left his neck and stroked along his sideburn. "Ah do want more, Logan… just at the same time Ah like what we have… had until now." She added anxiously.

"Neither do I want anything to change." He sighed and his features softened as was his voice. "We have something special goin' on."

Rogue's heart felt like bursting. He thought the same way as she did about their relationship.

Taking in her glowing features and inhaling her sweet scent Logan felt the animal in him purr in joy. Marie acknowledged both of them as her mate. Though there were still huge gaps in his memories Logan knew this was the first time a woman he loved would also be loved by the beast inside him, since the animal had been safely caged in the depths of his sub-consciousness until Kayla's supposed death.

Reluctantly his Wolverine would stay in the background for the time being, making only brief visits to his mate. His time would come, but now it was Logan's turn to take care of their Marie, reassuring her, leading her. Mate… wife… it felt right. Finally it made sense. "You know, you already are the perfect wife, Marie."

This came out of the blue for Rogue and she stared at him taken aback. "Wife?!?"

'Wife? Where does that come from?!'

She heard Victor groan in her mind. 'Jimmy means mate.'

'Why doesn't he call it that way then?'

'Don't wanna scare you, darlin'.' Her inner Logan explained.

'Callin' me wife shouldn't scare me then, huh?'

'Told you my brother is an idiot, runt.' Victor put in.

Smiling at her baffled features Logan ran his hand through her white-brown hair. "Thought the past months to wait a few years for you to grow up before I might make approaches, but now I get we already have a mature relationship goin' on." A disbelieving chuckle rang from his lips. "Never thought I would be relationship-material, but guess I was wrong."

She slowly got what her love tried to say. Shaking her head with a grin on her lips she retorted. "Ya're the perfect husband, Logan."

"Hardly perfect, darlin'."

The brunette saw the uncertainty in his hazel eyes, finding it funny that the same words he told her a moment ago to encourage her, brought doubt to him. "Ya're perfect for me, sugah. Hell, we both have a truckload of problems, but we complement one another." She kissed him quickly.

"True." Logan smiled at her. 'When did she become that wise?'

A comfortable silence settled on the two, but the Canadian wanted to set some things straight and thought it now the best opportunity. "Don't ever think you are second choice, you hear me, Marie?"

She wrinkled her forehead in confusion meeting his stern gaze. "What do ya mean?"

Drawing in a deep breath Logan cupped her cheek carefully to have a layer of her hair between them. "The first time I left you, I was in love with you, but you were still a kid, my feelings for you were wrong." He paused a moment and began to caress her cheek with his thumb.

"The reason why my trip took so long wasn't my search for my past … that of course was also a reason… but what I wanna say is… I hoped I could overcome my feelings for you, but all those months I couldn't stop thinking 'bout you." A shy smile appeared on Rogue's lips as her heartbeat sped up. "Then when I couldn't bear it any longer I finally returned and I was so… happy that you were already waiting for me with that wonderful smile of yours… happy that you have grown up to a breathtaking young woman…" He swallowed hard and his face turned sad. "It was a long time I was gone… I planed to make approaches to you, but…"

"… but I had Bobby."

He nodded slowly, never stopping to stroke her face. "My conscious told me it was the right thing for you, someone your age… And I had feelings for Jean, not as strong as for you, but I thought she was worth a try."

Rogue felt the tears sting at her eyes while her inner Logan granted her access to his memories and emotions from that time. He had waited for her. Gave her time to grow up. Why didn't she wait for him? "Ah could never forget 'bout ya, your presence were always there with me, but as ya said it was a long time… and it was really cute how Bobby courted me. Ah felt special… Someday Ah gave in, but ya were always in my mind, Logan. And Ah don't mean your presence Ah absorbed." A single tear rolled down her face and she was pulled against Logan's chest.

"Shh, we're together now, Marie." He whispered and rubbed her back gently.

After a while the young woman pushed slightly away and their eyes locked. "Listen, darlin', I really want this to work, but we will go slowly. One step after the other."

"Why? Thought we have a mature relationship. Is it the age? Even Jean would have been much, much too young for ya. Ah'm not underage anymore." 'Why am Ah arguing? Yesterday the hickey was too much for me…'

"That's true, but… You or more your mutation will give us the pace." Inwardly he feared she wouldn't love him when his memories would finally have returned. His personality might change; he wouldn't be the man she fell in love with. He didn't really know who he was – he may have his real name, know about his brother and some events of his 'previous' life, but he still didn't know who James Howlett really was. And neither did his Marie. And this made him nervous.

Until Marie, his sole purpose in life was to find out about his identity. He never had have ties in the past 18, almost 19 years, therefore nobody would have bothered if his returning memories would change the Logan of the present to the James/Logan of the past. Even with Marie being his best friend he began to worry about this new aspect the moment he had his first flashback at the hospital. Now everything became more complicated. He loved Marie and his Wolverine wanted to claim her as his, but he needed time to sort things out. The last thing he ever wanted to do is to hurt his beloved Marie.

"What if Ah won't learn to control my power? Will we keep sticking to this two seconds kisses till Ah'm old 'n grey?"

"No, we'll find a way. Believe me I do want more, especially when you wear this hot wine-red nighty." He contemplated a moment if he should tell her the idea he came up with years ago, when he became aware of his feeling for the young woman. "Darlin', I don't wanna raise your hopes, but there is the chance that my immune system gets used to your power. Like I have a higher tolerance by telepathic attacks." He noticed hope rise in her huge eyes.

"How?"

Logan smiled gently at her and placed a peck onto her lips. "By simply keeping in touch. My body needs time to adapt to your power."

"Ah shall drain ya from time to time?!" Disbelief was written all over Rogue's face and she stared at Logan as if he had grown a second head.

"I ain't saying you should send me back to dreamland, but little doses might do the trick. Can't promise that it'll work." He kissed her again.

She contemplated his words a moment. "But we might be able to touch each other, without anything happenin'?!"

"I hope that something else will happen when I can touch you the way I want." He saw her blush and her lips crushed onto his again.

"If this works then Ah'm not worried any longer if Ah may be able to control my mutation or not." Rogue smiled with true happiness and a knot in her chest lightened, she wasn't aware existed. She might be able to touch the man she loved without any barriers… Lead a normal life… Feel normal in her cursed skin.

"But if this works, then I'll be the only one who could touch you." He wanted to give her all facts.

She grinned like stupid. "Ah could live with only ya touchin' me." Another kiss, this one tender and loving. "Ah love ya."

"Love you, too." Logan brushed his lips against hers once again before he gently slapped her butt. "Our breakfast gets cold."

With a grin the brunette lifted her body from his lap and returned to her chair. Resuming eating both watched each other with soft eyes and a content grin. After a moment Rogue's face suddenly held a hint of concern. "Are ya well enough to get back on the road after breakfast, sugah?

"Think I am." He flashed her a smirk and swallowed the last bite of his bacon. "Where will you take me anyway, darlin'?"

Her eyes held a mysterious spark as she contemplated if she should answer or not. But knowing the Wolverine didn't like surprises – at least not this kind – she replied. "To your cabin."

"Cabin?" He slowly processed this information. Yeah, back then with Kayla, he lived in a small wooden house… "You know where it is?" He wondered eventually.

"Not yet. But Ah know it's somewhere in Alberta. Near the Rockies."

"Near the Rockies… that narrows it down." He muttered sarcastically.

Rogue narrowed her eyes in mock annoyance. "Hey, trust me! Ah'll eventually get the address."

"I do trust you, my love." He watched her down the remains of her coffee and when she placed the mug back onto the table he noticed a change in her features and frowned a little. Didn't she believe him? Of course he trusted her. "What is it, Marie?"

"Umm, nothing." She lied and saw his infamous eyebrow shoot up. With a sigh she gathered her courage and looked him straight in the eye. "But no other women."

'That it was…' He smirked at her again reassuringly. "Of course not, I now know how jealous you become when it comes to five year old admirer of mine."

Giggles of relief fleed from her pink lips. "Imagine how jealous Ah would be when your admirer is older."

"Don't worry." He chuckled. "Flirtin' is allowed?"

Rogue contemplated a moment. "Flirting is ok, but no touching, sugah. But the same goes for me."

With a cocky smile Logan slung his arms around her waist and pulled her slender frame onto his lap, pressing her tight against his chest. "As long as you're my girl I'm fine with it."

Relaxing into his touch Rogue snuggled her face into his shirt, breathing in his calming scent. She wouldn't tell Logan that his psychopath of brother was playing matchmaker…

THE END

Chapter End Notes:
I promised an update with two chapters and I won't let you down. So please check out the SEQUEL to this story: Pain of a New Life.