Story Notes:
First try at W/R fic. Reviews are more than welcome.
It was a rare occasion when the X-Men and the Brotherhood found themselves on the same side of a battle. The reports of mutant experiments at a government facility in the Catskills had spread like wildfire. A small group of escapees had run for cover, some making it to Xavier’s and others running into Magneto sympathizers. Eric and Charles had met, agreeing that a united effort would be best. So Magneto and his top lieutenants, Mystique and the Wolverine were seated in the Professor’s office, along with Scott, Jean and Orroro. As the leader of the B-Team, Scott insisted the meeting would be a perfect learning opportunity for Rogue.
“You’ve already been through a small part of hell on some of our missions,” Scott said as he made his way toward Xavier’s office, Rogue at his side. ” It’s time you’ve learned the art of dealing with the devil.”
Rogue mustered an amused smile as she followed him down the hall, wondering what he would say if she told him she’d made her deal months ago.
***
Six Months Before
It had been a rough night. The X-Men were fresh off a mission; rescuing some teenager with the ability to make multiples of himself from a bloodthirsty gang of FOH who still managed to out-number him. It was a hard fight and the X-Men had taken a tough hit when Cyclops had been knocked unconscious. She and Gambit had to go in after him and barely escaped themselves. The kid was settling into the dorms, Scott was still in the Med Lab and all Rogue wanted to do was sleep.
She was half way under the covers when Jubilee popped into her room a never quit ball of energy. Missions only seemed to jack her best friend up even more. Sometimes Rogue was tempted to drain her just for the peace and quiet.
“Hey Roguey…”
“What is it, Jubes? I’m really beat.”
“Phone for ya, chica. Some hot sounding guy.”
Rogue had to admit curiosity trumped tiredness as she rolled out of bed. She had no idea what guy would be calling her, let alone a hot sounding one. Nodding to Jubilee, Rogue padded into the sitting room on their floor and grabbed up the telephone.
“Hello?”
“Yeah, um, Rogue?”
The voice was rough and warm at the same time, yet not unfamiliar, though she didn’t recognize it. “This is me.”
“This is Lo… um Wolverine.”
Shock rocketed through her as she rushed toward the door. Peeking out into the hall, Rogue glanced up and down the hall before pushing the door closed and turning the lock, leaning back into the solid oak. It was all she could do to stay upright.
Rogue had seen him in action: the Wolverine. He was one of the best fighters on any side of the line and the most mysterious. Not even the Professor knew more than his name, he was a super healer and that the Adamantium that covered those wicked claws that sprung from his hands ran through his body. How or why he’d ended up that way or where he’d come from, word was, not even Magneto knew.
They had never come to blows with one another, but their eyes had met often over the settling dust of a battle. He’d stare until she nodded. He’d return the gesture just slightly before following Mystique back onto their jet. It became a ritual whenever they ran into one another. When it was all over they’d silently ask one another:
~Good?~
~Good.~
Rogue had almost forgotten what had sent her into a near full blown panic until she heard a static grumbling near her ear. Pressing the phone to her ear, Rogue whispered into the receiver although she knew she was alone.
“Hello?”
“Yeah, everything all right? I thought you went to call the cavalry on me.”
“Uh, no, no. I was just um, surprised.”
“Well I, uh, heard about your run in with those FOH head cases; heard Cyclops took a hit.”
“Yeah, it got pretty bad. Scott’s resting, right now. He should be fine by tomorrow.”
“Didn’t hear much about you, though?”
Rogue couldn’t help the smile that spread across her face. “I’m fine, Wolverine.”
“Logan. My name is Logan.”
“Mine’s Marie.”
In a phone booth outside a Brooklyn bar, Wolverine leaned into the glass and smiled. “Marie.” He liked the way her name felt on his tongue. He wondered for what seemed liked the millionth time since he’d first seen the petite beauty flatten Toad with a roundhouse kick, what she’d taste like. “Well Marie, if you ever need to get some air or something, there’s this bar … Boneshakers…”
“I know it. You go there?”
“I’ll be there tomorrow night.”
“What a coincidence… so will I.”
“Well, I’ll see ya then, Marie.”
“Thanks for calling, Logan. It was real sweet of ya.”
She smiled at his rusted chuckle. “Quiet for ya ruin my reputation.”
“It’ll be our little secret.”
Logan smiled. “Glad you’re okay… g’night, Marie.”
“See ya tomorrow, sugar. G’night.”