“What is life? Where does it come from? And more importantly, why does it exist? While many people believe the reason lies within religion, some people beg to differ. They have no religion, and therefore no one to turn to. As mutants we have been given a life that we must use to our full potential. We must use it to preserve the precious gift of life. Life that remains a mystery, as do its origins,” ‘Ro finished, closing up her lecture for the day. Marie’s last class of the day had felt extra long and she was relieved when she heard the bell ring through the mansion’s walls.

“Class dismissed. And don’t forget about your homework. Six pages on the relationship between Socrates and Plato and their influence on modern day society,” ‘Ro reminded the class with a knowing look. The class groaned in unison.

Marie heard Jubilee complain from right next to her. “But Storm! It’s spring break! Couldn’t you cut us a little slack?”

“You all have known about this essay for two weeks. It’s not my fault if you guys have decided to put it off until the last minute. Besides it shouldn’t be too terrible. You might actually learn something,” said ‘Ro with a smile in her eyes.

Jubes groaned once again and grabbed Marie by the arm, pulling her along with her. “C’mon, Chica. I need outta this classroom.”

Marie rolled her eyes and followed behind her friend. She wasn’t going to let this reminder about her history paper interfere with her good mood. Classes were over and spring break had officially begun! She had a whole week and a half with no school. She had been so overwhelmed lately with everything that had happened in the last couple of months and she felt that she deserved a break. After break there was only a month left until graduation and then she would be done with high school.

Marie let out a deep breath and a genuine smile appeared on her face. She turned to Jubes, “You know what, I feel like celebrating.”

Jubes smile flashed and she looked at Marie mischievously. “That sounds like a kick-ass way to start off this lovely spring break! What’d ya have in mind? Sneakin’ into the mansion’s liquor cabinet?”

Marie considered the idea momentarily. “No…I think we can go better than that. I’m thinkin’ a night on the town.”

Her friend’s smile got even wider. “Now that’s the Rogue I know and love. Where’s all this new-found teenage rebellion comin’ from?”

The two girls had reached Marie’s room by the time she could think of an answer. “I don’t know. I guess…I guess I’m just tired of feelin’ bad for myself. That’s all I’ve spent the last month doing. Feeling bad that Bobby broke my heart, that Kitty stabbed me in the back, and that Logan wouldn’t talk to me anymore. But things are…different now. I feel better than I have for a long time.”

Jubes put a hand up and raised her eyebrows. “Well, seeing that you and Bobby haven’t spoken in weeks and you give Kitty the death glare every time you see her…” A sudden realization had hit Jubilee. “Did something happen with you and the Wolfmeister?”

Marie flushed and nodded her head guiltily. She felt bad that she hadn’t mentioned her and Logan’s newly reunited friendship to her best friend but she just couldn’t really believe it herself. It had been four days since Logan and she had spent half the day together working on that motorcycle. She had seen him around the mansion a little since then, and each time they had greeted each other with smiles and hellos, no longer the ignorant silence.

“Yeah, the other day I confronted him. Asked him what his problem was. We got into this big fight that somehow ended up in me crying onto his shoulder…anyway, things between us have never been better. I even hung out with him on Saturday,” Marie said, realizing she was glad to finally share her happiness with someone else.

“Oh my god, Chica! You couldn’t have mentioned this before! This is huge for you, girl,” Jubes said, seemingly sharing in Marie’s joy. “Well, I’m happy for you. No wonder you’ve been in such a good mood this week.”

Marie blushed. “Yeah, I guess. I’ve been really happy lately.”

Jubes smiled knowingly. “I bet Logan has, too.”

Just at that moment Marie heard a light knock on the door. Since she was lying down on her bed and Jubes was already standing up, her friend let out a quick “I’ll get it!” before making her way over to the door. She opened it to reveal Logan standing there, with a small smile on his face. Marie couldn’t help the way her heart fluttered when she saw him standing in her doorway.

Jubes let out a low whistle. “Well, you know what they say. Speak of the devil, and the devil shall appear.”

Logan looked at Jubes and smirked. “Nice to see you too, yellow. What’re you two up to?” He looked over at Marie, who had gotten up from the bed and made her way to greet him.

Before Marie could think of something to say, Jubes spoke up for her. “Actually, Rogue and I have just been discussing our plans for a little pre-break celebration. Ya’ interested?” she asked Logan with a mischievous look back in her eyes.

Logan raised his eyebrows and glanced between the two of them. “Is that so? Well, count me in. What’d the two of you have in mind?”

“We’re not exactly sure yet,” Marie spoke for the first time. Her good mood had heightened in his presence.

“But whatever we end up doing, it will probably be illegal,” Jubes said with a chuckle. “Meaning it will be fun,” she added.

Marie met eyes with Logan and held his gaze as she spoke. “Yeah, with Jubes planning the event, there’s likely to be something crazy in store. It all depends if you think you can handle it.”

“And by ‘it’ she means ‘me’,” Jubes told him.

Logan looked between the two girls once more and smiled. “I think I can handle anything you guys throw at me,” he said decisively.

Jubes clapped her hands in front of her like a little child. “Perfect! This works out great. We might need you when it comes time to get into any bars. I got these new fake I.D.’s but they’re kind of crap. Peter got them for me and they—”

Jubes was cut off at that moment because someone had just burst into Marie’s room. It was Siryn, a red-headed Irish girl a few years younger than Marie. She had always liked the girl and became immediately alarmed at the panicked and excited look on the young girl’s face. She sounded of breath when she spoke to the three of them.

“Guys, come quick! It’s the professor!”

Marie, Jubes, and Logan remained frozen for about three seconds before they all sprang into action. They were running down the halls, following where Siryn was leading them. They had reached the stairs and were taking them two at a time. Reaching the grand foyer they came to a halt in front of a crowd of people surrounding someone standing in the middle.

Marie couldn’t get a good few of the object of their attention. Then Logan pushed through all the children and Marie followed closely behind him. In the center of the group stood a man, about six feet tall, with light brown hair. The man looked unfamiliar to Marie and she became momentarily confused as to why everyone was making a big fuss about him and what he had to do with the professor. It wasn’t until he spoke to Logan that she realized who he really was.

“Hello, Logan. It has been too long,” a very familiar voice spoke from the strange man’s lips. Marie gasped in shock, for that voice belonged to a man that Marie believed had been dead for over a month. Marie looked up at Logan who was just staring at the man in confusion and awe.

“It—it can’t be. Charles? Is that—is that really you?” Logan asked the man with disbelief.

The man simply nodded at Logan’s question. “Yes, Logan. It is me.” Marie was shocked once again at how the professor’s voice sounded coming from this man’s lips. It was all too weird for her to take in.

At that moment ‘Ro had broken into the circle, closely followed by Hank. “What’s going on? Who are you?” She asked the man standing in the middle of the circle.

He smiled gently at her. “It is me, Ororo. Charles Xavier.”

‘Ro seemed to freeze at the sound of his voice. She was feeling the same things that Marie was feeling. Shock, disbelief, confusion…emotions that were brought on by this strange occurrence. ‘Ro gave a short gasp before her eyes rolled back in her head and she fell towards the floor, only to be caught just in time by Hank.

The man in question frowned in concern. “Oh, dear. She seems to have fainted. Hank, why don’t you take her down to the Medical Bay, make sure she’s all right. When she comes around and is feeling better, both of you meet me in my old office. I have a lot of explaining to do.”