“…there have been several reports of the cure’s effects across the world. While many ex-mutants continue to live a normal life as a human, there have been multiple instances where these ex-mutants’ powers are resurfacing. The toll is currently at several hundred and growing….”

Marie droned out the television set that she was watching in the rec room. She was shell-shocked and her breathing was beginning to accelerate quite rapidly. The cure…didn’t work? How could this be? She had been power-free for nearly a month now. Wouldn’t some sign have presented itself by now if the cure, was in fact, defected? She turned her attention back to the news-lady on the television.

“We have just received a statement from Worthington Industries about the mutant cure problem. Warren Worthington II commented on this issue moments ago,” the lady continued, all serious with wide eyes. Suddenly she was gone and instead the television showed what appeared to be some sort of press conference. At the center there was a podium with a white-haired man speaking to the crowd of cameras and news reporters.

“While it has taken us some time to consider all possible reasons why our mutant cure’s effects are wearing off, we have finally come to a single conclusion,” began Warren Worthington II. He paused momentarily, looking down at the podium, trying to figure out how to word his thoughts properly. Marie thought the sight of him was rather funny, but her laugh came out as an anxious sigh.

Warren Worthington II suddenly looked up at the cameras once again. Finally, he stated, “We believe that the cure’s effects won’t wear off for all mutants. The mutants who will be affected will be those who demonstrate a certain amount of…power with their mutation. We believe, ladies and gentlemen, that the cure was not strong enough to sedate the world’s most powerful mutants.”

The crowd suddenly roared with shouts and questions. All Marie could do was stare motionlessly at the television screen. Of course, the human public will have a big problem with this news. They will be terrified of these powerful mutants receiving their powers back. What about Magneto? He was the biggest threat to human kind. Marie had no doubt in her mind that Magneto would receive his powers back.

Suddenly it all made sense. Marie hadn’t gotten her powers back because it only happened to powerfull mutants. Marie had a wimpy mutation. She had the hardest time struggling for her place with the X-Men when she had them. While all of the other junior team members could do something useful in combat, Marie had been pretty much screwed. Peter could use his organic metal to crush about anything and anyone. Kitty could phase when any threat prevented itself to her. Bobby could use his freezing powers as a good weapon.

Marie’s heart suddenly swelled up. She had avoided thinking about Bobby for most of these past couple of weeks. Ever since their break-up, Marie had gotten tears in her eyes at the thought of him. After everything she had done for him, had gotten the freaking cure for him, he had the guts to dump her.

Marie took a deep breath and tried to focus on something else. Not the fact that her boyfriend had dumped her. Not the fact that he had asked out Kitty the same night. No. She was going to focus on herself and about this cure problem.

She liked not having her powers. She was now able to walk around wearing whatever she wanted, which had lately been a tank top and mini-skirt. She had a great body and enjoyed showing it off for a change. The boys at the mansion had been paying a lot more attention to her lately. She smirked each time she caught them drooling out of the corner of her eyes.

At the same time, she was a bit upset about her non-existent powers. While living at the mansion these past few weeks, she had begun to feel like an outcast. She was living at a mansion full of mutants and noticed all of the whispering that was being done behind her back. The students couldn’t believe that an X-Man had gotten the cure. Marie was a traitor to her own kind. She didn’t fit in with the junior team anymore. Her power may have been useless, but now that she was completely powerless, she was even more of a waste of space.

Marie shook that thought from her head. She didn’t want to question her place with the X-Men. This was the one place she had ever truly felt at home. Bobby or no Bobby, she had several friends here. Like Ororo. She as a great friend and mentor. ‘Ro had taught Marie several things since joining the X-Men. She was always there for Marie in times of need and when she needed advice.

She had Jubes, too. That chick could make Marie laugh on her darkest days. Kitty used to make her laugh, too, but after stabbing Marie in the back by going out with Bobby, Marie had ended their friendship quite abruptly. There was just something wrong with a friend who would steal someone’s boyfriend. Marie knew she sounded childish, but still, it was wrong.

The thought of ex-friends suddenly had Marie thinking some depressing thoughts. The professor had always been there for her and had become somewhat of a fatherly figure to her. He had helped Marie deal with her powers and try to find some good in them. The mansion just didn’t seem like home without him.

She missed Scott, too, and tried to hold back tears at the thought of him. Sure, he had changed a lot after Jean’s death. They had been really close during Marie’s first few months at the mansion, though. His sudden death at that terrible lake had upset Marie for a great time. She missed Jean somewhat too. They hadn’t really been the closest of friends, but Marie was still upset about Jean’s tragic end on Alcatraz Island. It must have killed Logan to rid Jean of her life.

Logan. He had been Marie’s first friend at the mansion. He was the one who convinced Marie to stay at the mansion and eventually become an X-Man. After Jean’s first death, he had been rather upset, and Marie had been there to comfort him when he needed a friend. They remained good friends and he even helped her with her training on the junior team.

Once Marie got the cure and Jean died for the second time, this time at the hands of Logan, things between them changed. They have barely spoken a word to each other in the last month. Marie couldn’t help feeling that Logan was angry with her. Every time she saw him in the hallway, he couldn’t even look at her. Marie could bet that Logan hadn’t wanted for her to take the cure. His little reverse psychology hadn’t worked on her when they talked before she left last month.

Oh, well. That’s just another person who’s disgusted at her choice to take the cure. Logan could go sulk off by himself. She wasn’t going to let it affect her one bit. No way.

Three kids walked into the room at that moment. After noticing her presence, they quickly scrambled out. Marie took a deep breath and rose from the couch she was sprawled on. Time to go see if the others have heard about the latest cure news.