Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you really like this. I couldn't go to sleep last night until I got this out of my head.
Marie was angry. She had specifically told Logan that she needed time alone to find herself. Not only that, but she had truly loved that cottage.
Now that ape-head Logan had forced her once again to run. He had better pray that he didn’t find her. Because if he did, she was going to kick his Wolverine ass all the way back to New York.
After she had spoken to Xavier, she had run through the cottage throwing everything she could see in a duffel bag. She had had to leave a lot of things there. Thankfully, it would be safe until she could have them shipped back to the mansion.
Another reason to rip Logan a new one.
She dreaded the desert landscape and heat she would encounter living in Arizona. Luckily, if she had time, she could work on getting a tan. It was hard to walk around looking as pale as a ghost.
She laughed to herself. Boy, hanging around Jubes and Kitty was rubbing off on her. Here she was on the run and all she was concerned about her pale skin.
She’d have to remember to tell her two friends about that next time she saw them. Whenever that might be.
Scanning the open road, she saw a road sign to her right. “Destry, Ohio population 3,023”.
Hmm, not that big a city. Yet big enough that a stranger wouldn’t drawl unnecessary attention. It was the perfect place to stop for the night.
She had driven the first two days without really stopping. Sleeping in her car at rest stops when she couldn’t stay awake any longer. It would be nice to sleep in a real bed. Stretch her legs out over the wide expanse or cotton-sheeted heaven. The thought almost cheered her up enough to push thoughts of revenge aside. Almost.
She knew that her streaks would be a huge billboard of advertisement: [Hey, notice me. Remember me. So if anyone asks, you can say that you saw me.] So she grabbed the ball cap lying in the passenger seat, grabbed her wallet, stuffing her purse underneath the seat, and went to see a man about a room.
Five minutes later, she held a key to the room registered to Jessica Lawson. Mission accomplished she walked to the McDonald’s across the street. After all, fast food restaurants were always so busy that trying to remember one particular customer would be next to impossible. She could sense the Wolverine in her head beaming in approval.
She decided to go to the Wal-mart across town. She needed to restock on her personal hygiene products. Plus, she’d left a lot of her clothes back at the cottage. She only had a small handful of underwear. She wasn’t one of those people who could justify wearing panties for more than one day before washing them. Gross.
Plus having more clothes meant doing laundry less often. Big plus when you are running. She decided to leave all her belongings, except what she needed, in her car. That way, if she had to leave in a hurry, she wouldn’t have to leave anything behind again. Never say Rogue didn’t learn from her mistakes.
She longed for a beer and a cigar. Thinking of Logan all day had increased the intensity. Thank God those were the only cravings she was having. Nope, the only action she wanted tonight would be on ESPN. Thank God for small mercies.
Grabbing a hot shower, she sat in the center of the bed. Folding her body into the lotus position, just as Logan had taught her. She needed to clear her head out and focus herself. Figure out her plans for her cross country road trip.
Since she had Xavier’s help, she didn’t have to worry about money. So getting odd jobs here and there, or hawking her belongings, was not an issue. When this was over, she would have to do some extra work around the mansion to pay the Professor back.
So, all she had to worry about was staying ahead of Logan and mapping out a route. She’d made an indecipherable zigzag across the Northern states. Now it was time to terrorize the South.
She knew Logan would think she wouldn’t want to go to Mississippi. So, that of course, was almost like a dare to her. At this point, she was so angry at him, she might just driver down her old street just to prove to him that he didn’t know her all that well after all.
Then again, did she really want to open all those old hurts again? Be within touching distance of her mother and father, and not even be able to stay and say hello to them. She should probably just skip over that portion of the tour. Just avoid Meridian, Mississippi, like it had the plague. Damn if he didn’t know her after all.
And wasn’t that just another reason to stomp his ass into the ground.

Chapter End Notes:
I happen to like this side of Marie. Almost feel bad for Logan. Almost! LOL