Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy.

Don't own anything :(

Chapter 7

Wolverine smiled to himself as he walked to the danger room, more than ready to take his next class. When the professor had first asked him about giving self defence lessons he hadn't thought that they would have the facilities that they did - it was a school after all. No, he had thought a great big drafty gymnasium with mats would be as advanced as he would get, not a room where you could programme in a scenario and actually act within it – reminded him of sci-fi too much. And by the time he was finished with the older students most days the boys could hardly stand. This in his eyes was definitely an added bonus.

Never thought I would like being a teacher.

He was still very worried about Marie though. It had been three weeks since the first night that he had spent with her and it had became a regular thing now. Not that he minded in the least but he knew it wasn't a good thing. She couldn't make it through a night without him. He had avoided her all that first day, not wanting to embarrass her and after the good night’s rest that she had had he had hoped she was getting better. But then that night he had been able to hear her crying from his own room. He had raced down the corridor without a second thought only to have her run out of the door before he could even reach the handle. She threw herself into the bathroom across from her room and slammed the door shut. He could hear her retching and sobbing through the thick wood. The sound tore at his heart, but he could not help but think why she had been able to sleep peacefully the night before and not now.

The retching and coughing finally stopped but the sobbing continued as much as ever. When he heard water beginning to run he leaned against the wall and waited. It wasn't until his bare back hit the cool wall that he remembered he was shirtless. Remembering how uncomfortable Marie had been during the day whenever someone with a sleeveless top had been even a few feet away he rushed back to his room and threw on the first thing that he could find.

He was still buttoning the long-sleeved shirt up as he walked back down the corridor in time to see Marie's bedroom door close and a light appear underneath it. He stood outside for a second - the sound of sobbing was dying down a little and he could hear her deep, heavy breathing.

What do I do?

Logan had never been one to question any action or decision, rather being the type to rush in and think about the consequences later but now he found himself thinking just what he should do.

He didn't want to seem overbearing or pry where he wasn't wanted...But then she had not complained about his presence last night.

His mind was made up when he heard the deep breathing change and become quick and erratic. She was panicking.

He stopped himself from rushing straight in and knocked on the door, waiting a second before opening it.

She was sitting on the bed dressed in a nightgown that he was sure he recognised. It was the same type she had been wearing when he had stabbed her. The thought flitted through his mind that one of the other students must have been lending her clothing. She was clutching at her stomach with one hand while the other was supporting her weight on the edge of the bed.

She looked up when he walked in and her eyes were filled with fear and tears.

He went to her without a second thought and gripped her covered shoulders firmly - holding her straight.

She released her stomach and raised her other hand from the bed and gripped his covered arms.

“Lo...Lo...Log...an,” she gasped.

“Marie calm down,”

Oh yeah, great advice genius. How about you tell her to just breathe while you're at it.

“Just breath darlin' OK,”

Brilliant any more helpful advice while you're at it Logan.

He tried to encourage her to breathe properly and deeply and gradually the tension eased from the grip she had on his arms and her breaths became more steady and deep.

“That's it sweetheart, you're doin' good,” he encouraged, rubbing his hands down her arms.

Sweetheart? Hmm there's another words I haven't used before.

Her breathing finally settled and she released his arms completely.

“I'm sorry Logan. Did I wake you up?” she rasped, shifting her gaze to her lap where she was twisting her hands together nervously. He noticed for the first time that she had her gloves on and wondered why she was sleeping in them.

“Nah, I was awake anyway,” he lied smoothly not wanting to make her feel guilty. For the truth was that he had only just fallen asleep when her cries had woke him.

She gave him a small smile but it died quickly on her lips before it could spread or reach her eyes.

“I thought that after last night I would be able to sleep,” she mumbled looking up at him quickly and then away again.

“I wouldn't have tried otherwise,” she explained.

Logan just wanted to take her in his arms and tell her that everything would be all right. She looked so small and alone but instead the same awkward silence from the night before settled between them and Logan got of the bed to leave - not wanting to force his company on her – only to have her reach out and grab his arm. As soon as her fingers closed around his wrist his eyes darted to her and she let go – almost as though she had been burnt.

“Sorry,” she mumbled, looking down again and Logan wondered what she had to be sorry about. He liked the idea that she trusted him.

“Just...just don't go...please,” her small voice was quivering and an uncomfortable tightness came to Logan's chest.

She shouldn't have to deal with this, he sighed inwardly.

Right now though he had to try and reassure her. He smiled and sat back down on the bed, taking her small gloved hands in his own.

“I'll stay as long as you need me kid,” he told her warmly, and he was thankful when he saw the worry drain from her eyes and a slight smile flit across her lips.

“Thank you,” she whispered.

And what do I do now that I am staying.

He was at a loss. The previous night when he had stayed it had been more by accident than anything else she hadn't really asked him to stay. Well...she had in her sleep but that didn't really count.

He was dragged from his thoughts when he felt Rogue moving her fingers across his hand. She was gently tracing each knuckle up to his wrist and back down again.

When they come out, does it hurt?”

At the time it had struck him as strange that after what she had seen him do she was asking if his mutation hurt. Not even any of the fine X-Men with all their high principles had asked him that. Not even Jean. In fact he could not remember anyone ever asking him.

“You know that you are the only one that asked,” he told her softly, enjoying the feel of her gloved hands tracing his bones. Her head shot up but she didn't release his hands and he was grateful for that.

“Asked what?” she was smiling slightly now and Logan felt a thrill go through him when it reached her eyes, making them sparkle.

No, bad Logan. Pull it together.

“If they hurt or not. No one else has ever asked me that,” he told her giving her hand a gentle squeeze.

“Seemed like a logical question,” she mumbled and he wondered if she felt silly for having asked him. He didn't want her to feel silly. He liked her curiosity. She wasn't afraid of him and that in itself made her a small miracle in his eyes.

They had somehow ended up in the same position as the night before with both of them lying down and his arms around her. Only this time her back was against his chest instead of his chest being used as a pillow. The only difference was that he left the room before she woke up.

He had held her tightly since she had fallen asleep and his conscience began to niggle at the back of his mind. He felt as though he was taking advantage of her while she was asleep and needing him. The wolverine told him that he was being stupid but he could not shake the feeling of guilt even though he was doing nothing wrong.

He reasoned with himself that she was in a deep sleep and would stay that way whether he was with her now or not.

But he was wrong.

As soon as he had closed the door softly behind him and stood in the silent corridor he had heard her breathing speed up and heard the rustle of her bedding as she began to thrash about the bed.

“No...no...don't,” he heard her mumbling and quickly went back into the room. The salty smell of fresh tears drifted to him as he strode back to the bed all thoughts of leaving her alone for the rest of the night were banished from his mind.

“Shh darlin', you're all right. I'm here,” he crooned laying back on the bed and hovering above her, supporting his weight on one arm and stroking her hair with the other - always careful to keep his skin from touching hers.

Damn. Gloves Logan. Gloves.

The effect was almost instantaneous. The creases that had appeared on her forehead smoothed out and she stopped her restless turning a small smile played across her lips and she let out a contented sigh. Logan lowered himself back to the same position he had been in and tucked her head under his chin, wrapping himself around her protectively.

The same thing happened the night after that and the night after that, until they both gave in and realized that for some reason she could only sleep when he was around. He knew that this embarrassed her to a certain degree and he didn't know why.

So they came to an unspoken agreement and Logan began to go straight to her room as soon as everybody else was asleep this time with a pair of gloves in hand.

While her nightmares seemed to plague her every night, sometimes even when he was there, his own only came to him when triggered by some action during the day.

He shivered - remembering the night he had stabbed her. Having Jean prodding about in his head had caused the memories to rise to the surface to be relived as he slept.

During the second week of his new duties within the school the students had a party of sorts. They had rigged up flashing lights in the ceiling and had cleared away any furniture that would get in the way. He learned from Storm later that it was something that happened about once a month and he had rolled his eyes at the very thought of putting up with that kind of mayhem more than once a Melania.

He had caught site of Marie sitting huddled in a corner watching as her fellow classmates danced on the make-shift dance floor. Logan could smell the sadness coming from her and could not stop himself from going to her to try and relieve her sadness. She was tugging at the sleeves of her top - something that he noticed she did whenever she was upset or agitated.

He looked down at her and she ripped her eyes from the dance floor to meet his own.

"Hey sugah," she mumbled looking up at him. Logan had to fight back the warmth that filled his soul whenever she called him that.

She's from the south Logan. It means nothing. Get a grip. He repeated it like a mantra within his head as he sat beside her, though he could not get rid of the feeling of joy that she was more at ease in his presence than anybody else's.

"How you holding up darlin'?" he asked her thankful that they did not need to yell when a softer song began to play and the lights stopped twirling around the room crazily. It made him edgy. The loud music and flashing lights - his heightened senses did not agree with such an atmosphere.

"Alright I guess. Dr Grey suggested that I should spend more time around the other students. It's hard though." she mumbled and Logan felt annoyed that the women could not just leave her be.

"Why's it hard?" he asked her, hoping that if she told him he could help her in some way.

"Well Erik doesn't really enjoy the company of 'children'. He finds them ignorant and dull," she told him.

So it was the guys in her head that were holding her back as well as her own fears. He didn't want to know what his own issues were.

"You on the other hand. It just seems to be the boys you have a problem with and I don't know why. They all seem nice enough,"

I know why.

Even then whenever one of the many male members of the student body happened to walk past their spot he could smell their hmm 'interest' peek and he had never exercised so much self-control in his life.

They had talked for a while that night on different things before Marie had began to drift off to sleep. He cupped her face in his gloved hands and smiled as she leaned into his hand. He wondered how long she had gone without such contact. He had noticed that though she was initially withdrawn and distant she had quickly began to accept his touch - either when he soothed her upon waking from a nightmare or when he held her while she slept. And yet during the day she would shy away from contact (both physical and verbal) with the many students that filled the building

He had watched her sleep for sometime before his own eyes began to grow heavy. During the first few nights he had stayed awake watching her as she slept but she had noticed his growing weariness and had told him point blank to either sleep or stay away. The later wasn't even an option so he too had begun to sleep, more peacefully than he could ever remember doing.

I knew there was a reason I didn't like those flashing lights. He growled as he entered the empty danger room his mind still going over past events.

As soon as he had closed his eyes that night he was once again in a lab.

Green lights blaring down in him with tubes and needles being forced into his body his healing factor making quick work of closing the punctures.

Logan always knew when he was dreaming but was never able to wake himself up, his mind forcing him to live through the nightmares that had been his life. It did not matter how hard he tried to force his mind away from the half known memories or pry his eyes open nothing worked and he was left to face his demons.

But this night was different.

He heard a soft voice whispering to him and felt fingers brushing through his hair. He felt his heart rate begin to slow before he was lost completely within his mind and the images of pain drifted to nothing until all he was focusing on was the gentle touch of fingers moving through his hair and the soft words.

“Your fine Logan, it's only a dream.” the words being whispered to him became clearer and his eyes opened slowly. He found his head resting against someone’s shoulder and he was being rocked also.

Marie.

The door of the danger room swung open and his class walked through grim expressions set on their faces.

None of them saw the soft smile that was now gracing their teacher's usually grim face.

Logan's thoughts were still focused on that night. He had never before woken up to being cared for, used to just looking after himself - either falling into a fitful sleep or staying awake for the rest of the night. He had liked the feeling.

He quickly wiped the smile from his face and spun around, every inch the growling, gruff man everyone had gotten to know.

He faced the class. Marie was the only one who got to see the softer side of him and he was determined to keep it that way.

"Your late," he snapped.


Professor Charles Xavier looked on as his former students argued with the loner that was Wolverine.

After Scott had found Logan coming from their newest students room in the early hours of the morning all hell had broken loose and his office now had all three of his former pupils, Logan and Rogue within it.

Xavier noticed that though the young girl had many feelings and emotions linked to the conversation at hand she was standing silent as the adults continued to yell at each other – each fighting to put their own case across. The look on her face and the feelings he was picking up from her were beginning to worry him. He was aware that she could carry out whole conversations with the personalities now residing in her mind and by the expression on her face that was what she was now doing. He did not want to invade her privacy by reading her mind so instead he just kept an eye on her while waiting for the two men to finish arguing.

“Listen boy scout,” Logan snarled at Scott as the two men faced each other in front of his desk.

“She was making herself ill, she needed to sleep,” explained the rough speaking cage fighter, every muscle in his body straining to attack the other man but he was holding himself back with amazing self-restraint.

Charles could read from the man that he was trying his best to stay calm (due entirely to the presence of one little southern girl) but was rapidly losing the battle. Scott was pushing him too much.

“Oh she needed to sleep. Tell we just where you came into that equation?” spat Scott, refusing to back down an inch. The professor knew that his ex-student felt very strongly about the subject, his thoughts and feelings steaming from the deep brotherly affection he had developed for the untouchable girl.

“I don't know why, I don't know how and I don't really care as long as it works but she can only sleep properly when I am with her.” Logan snapped running a hand through his hair and spinning to face Xavier his eyes begging.

Come on wheels help me out here will ya. This ain't doing Marie any good.

Charles picked up on the mental plea immediately and nodded his head he could now feel the distress coming from the girl in waves and by the frantic glances that Jean kept throwing her he wasn't the only one picking up on her feelings.

“Oh how convenient.” continued Scott, not one to be sidetracked from his views if he felt strong enough about them.

“She is sixteen years old you have no right to be in her room at all,” the disgust fairly dripped from the other man's words.

That did it.

Xavier watched as the restraint that Logan had been exercising snapped and he moved towards the other man, anger filling his mind. Everyone in the room tensed as the metallic sound of the mutant’s claws sliding from his arms filled the room.

“Now you listen to me bub and you listen good,” hissed Logan.

“I would never and will never do anything to hurt Marie. She needed me and I went to her. We have done nothing to be ashamed of,”

Charles judging this a good time to interrupt went to speak only to have his thoughts cut of when he heard something from Rogue.

Why can't they just leave us alone?” the girl was screaming within her mind where only he and possibly Jean could hear her.

He spun his gaze back to the youngest person in the room and saw her moving slowly backwards until she was against the wall and she slid down it. He watched as she drew her knees up to her chest buried her head in her arms and just breathed.

He reached out with his mind until he found hers not liking to invade the privacy of her mind but seeing no other way to judge her well fare.

He had never come across anything like it.

Within the young girls mind two very dominant mutants were trying to calm her down. Judging by the real Logan's protective attitude to the young runaway he was not surprised by the mental Logan's reaction to what was happening in the room but it was Eric's response to the whole situation that came as the biggest surprise.

He was trying his level best to calm the young girl down, trying to sooth her and console her. Both of the mutants' voices were ringing within the child's head and he was hardly surprised that she seemed to fall in on herself moving her hands to cover her ears. Trying to protect herself from the outward onslaught of noise and voices and focus on what was happening within her own mind.

Xavier had had enough.

He understood the case that Scott had brought to him but before them all was a girl broken, battered and scared who needed support and acceptance. Had he not been the one to encourage Logan to go to her to begin with. Yes. Scott had to realise that this was a special case.

He allowed his voice to ring clear through everyone's minds. Not wanting to upset Rogue any further by trying to raise his voice over that of Scott and Logan.

Silence.

His order was immediately obeyed and all eyes swung to him to only follow his gaze to the young girl curled up against the wall.

Logan immediately moved towards the still figure - concern and worry written plain and clear across his rough features. Scott made a move to stop the other mutant only to me stopped by Xavier's voice.

Leave them Scott. Do not interfere.

Those present in the room watched in amazement and wonder as the rough talking, violent man crouched down before the girl and reached out towards her, placing a hand on her knee and speaking with gentleness that none thought he was capable of.

“Marie...” he whispered, his gloved hand moving from her knee to the back of her head and stoking her hair soothingly.

“Baby.” he whispered again, inching closer to her.

The professor continued to listen into Rogue's thoughts.

Marie you need to answer him he is worried sick. Baby, you need to talk to him,” that was the voice of Logan, whispered softly within the silent girl's mind and yet still no outward sign of her hearing him was shown.

Come now child,” that was Eric now. Charles listened intently to his old friends words wondering what he would say to the troubled girl in his attempt to help her. “You need to calm down. You are worrying us. I know you do not want to but you need to speak.” His old friend’s voice was calm and reassuring as he tried to persuade the girl to come out of her shell.

Why can't they just leave us alone?” Rogue's own voice now rang clearly through her mind and it was rich with tears. “You were only helping me,” her word were directed at Logan and Xavier could feel the anger coming from her mental passenger, though it was being over-ridden by his concern for the girl.

We were doing nothing wrong,” she continued sadly and Xavier quickly picked up on the images that flashed through her mind to accompany her words. They were scenes of just sitting in silence or talking and then the overwhelming sense of safety and peace that flooded her when Logan held her at night. Charles' viewing of the images was cut short when she continued.

What will I do if you can't come to me anymore? I will lose my mind.”

Marie I won't let that happen but you have to talk out loud baby. You have to let them know you are all right.” crooned Logan

He is right child you have to speak. Charles will not allow any decisions to be made that will not be to your benefit. Believe me when I say this.”

Xavier was somewhat shocked by his old friend announcement. Despite their differences Eric trusted him to do the right thing where the girl was concerned.

He pulled himself from her mind and refocused on what was happening within his office.

Logan was still crouched before the silent girl. Still stroking her hair and trying to talk her into opening up to him while Ororo, Jean and Scott stood and watched.

“Come on sweetheart you need to talk to me.” Logan mumbled quietly.

Xavier could feel the surprise and shock that came in waves from the others in the room. None of them had ever thought that this man whom they had all seen kill without remorse would ever be able to approach someone with such care and gentleness.

Something in his words or tone finally seemed to penetrate Rogue's mind and she slowly raised her head from her knees and gazed at the man in front of her with misty eyes.

“That's it baby.” whispered Logan, moving his hand down the side of her head to caress the girl's face tenderly – as though he was afraid to break her.

Xavier could only smile – despite the seriousness of the situation, as he observed for himself the changes that the young girl had brought upon the man without a past.

He bided his time to speak not wanting to rush the young woman to open up any further when she was not yet ready or to leave when it was clear to all present that she needed the rough man's reassurance.

He watched fascinated as the girl slowly retreated from her mind and recognition lit her eyes as she stared into Logan's.

She reached out a shaking hand and traced his forehead and cheek and from the images that flew threw Logan's mind Xavier got the impression that this was a regular occurrence between the two of them.

“Logan,” she breathed, “It's too loud, too many voices.”

Charles could hear a low rumble come from deep within the other man's chest but it never made it to his throat. Instead he smiled faintly at the girl and spoke gently to her.

“I know baby, I'm sorry. We'll all be more quiet now.”

Won't we Charles.” the statement was growled into his mind and he nodded in agreement giving all if his ex pupils a meaningful look accompanied by a warning.

I know you all feel strongly about this and you will all get the opportunity to voice your concerns but not now. Now we focus on what Rogue need. Understood.

After getting confirmation from each of them and from Scott rather grudgingly he turned his attention back to the couple on the floor.

This is going to be very enlightening.

Please, please, please, let me know what you think. I was so stuck when it came to this chapter and I would love to know if I got it right.

Thanks

:)

 

Chapter End Notes:
Hi. As you know I love knowing what you think so feedback would be great. Thank you to everyone who has reviewed so far as well. :)