Story Notes:
I thought that I was going to get some writing done. Things have been slow on that front. But here's a short snippet, still at wastelands.
“Following blocks are scheduled for fumigation! We repeat! Following blocks are scheduled for fumigation!”

“What would you do if one of these days they’d open the gates?” She asked.
“Huh?”

“Block A, D and F are scheduled for fumigation! Residents of aforementioned blocks will be relocated! We repeat! Block A, D and F are scheduled for fumigation! Residents of aforementioned blocks will be relocated!”

“What would you do if one of these days they’d open the gates?” She repeated her question, toying with a cigarette. Logan looked up from the old, frayed magazine he was reading.
“That’s not going to happen,” he grunted, then turned his attention back to page he had been reading for well over half an hour already.

“We apologize for the inconvenience! Your local waste disposal unit thanks for your cooperation!”

“I know that it’s not going to happen. Use your imagination. One day, you’re walking down that road out there. You stop in front of those gates, and suddenly they start to...”
“It’s not going to happen. Pretty pointless to start imagining things like that,” Logan huffed, now clearly annoyed. She lit the cigarette and inhaled deeply. Counted to ten. Then to twenty. Logan was no fun. No fun at all. She was bored and all he wanted to do was to read that goddamned magazine that he had read for thousand times before. He probably knew the whole fucking thing by heart already.
“Well, shit. Forget it. I was just trying to entertain myself...” She hissed and pushed the window open. She could hear Logan discarding the magazine, then standing up from the couch.
“You should move”, he said.
“Why bother?” She asked.
“This block is scheduled for fumigation next month,” Logan said.

She thought about it for a moment. Then turned to look at him. He was standing by her small stove and making coffee.
“Why do you even care?” She asked. Logan shrugged his shoulders.
“I just care?” He offered and reached for the jar of coffee grinds.
“Why does it matter to you that I get through the fumigation? Why does it matter to you that I live?” She asked, suddenly more than mildly curious over the answer.
“It just matters. Uh, listen... I have an apartment lined up for you already. It’s a bit closer to the wall, so there will be more traffic and shit, but...”

She tuned out Logan’s voice and concentrated on the public service message. Finished the cigarette and lit another one while listening how it was beneficial for her health to keep smoking since breathing through the filter lessened the amount of microscopic particles that she breathed in.

No wonder they handed out cigarettes like they were candy.

“That shit will kill you...” Logan grunted, plucked the smoking cigarette from between her fingers and replaced it with a cup of coffee.
“Right,” she huffed, took a sip from the coffee and lit yet another cigarette.

Coffee, cigarettes, liquor, candy... Anything and everything that probably was considered luxurious they had in abundance. We’re they sacrificial offerings from the other side of the wall? An attempt to placate the horde of super beings that were incarcerated here? Or simply just a way of keeping them all blind and deaf over the slow eradication of their species?

“I found some potatoes yesterday.”
“And didn’t bring them here?” She asked, her mind still miles away.
“Not much to eat in them yet. Have to wait for a month or so.”
“You really think that they will still be there after a month?” She asked.
“Yeah. It’s... Nobody knows about that place.”
“If you say so. Any ideas of what we’re going to eat until then?”
“There’s shitload of meat lying around after fumigation. If we steer clear from smaller carcasses there’s no danger of poisoning, either...”
“I hope you’re talking about rats.”
“Shit, kid. What else I’d be talking about?” Logan asked, wide grin spreading over his face. She didn’t like that look on his face. She didn’t like it at all.