Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N : Finally got the ruler to work in my story. Might go back to previous chapters and add them in. Also, sorry for the long wait in the update. I love this story so I only write when I feel it's time and that my idea won't ruin where I plan to go with this. Thanks for your patience. Also, I might come back to this chapter and add more to it, not sure yet. Keep an eye on the story updates to know more.

Disclaimer : You know I own nothing :(
Chapter 15

Dreams, no, nightmares. A head full of nightmares, of people screaming, people running. Fires and smoke. A woman laughing. Crying children in the streets looking for their parents. More laughing.

Gambit jolts and sits up in bed. His shaky hands run over his face and up through his hair. "Mon dieu." He looks down at the sleeping woman beside him and his body trembles. His mind begins to confirm what his heart and gut have already been telling him.

She's going to figure it out Remy. And now, you're in too deep. Once she figures out dat you were a part of controlling her...well you know what the Phoenix is capable of.

Again, Remy trembles.

Tired, Logan sits on a chair near the side of Rogue's bed, waiting for her to wake up. Six hours she's been asleep and still nothing. Hank hasn't come back with any results as of yet and neither has Emma.

Even before he's near the door, Wolverine can smell him. "Got any news yet Cyke?"

Scott pauses at the end of the bed. "Emma and Hank are still working on it Logan." His gaze goes from the peacefully sleeping woman to the other man in the room. "You should get some rest."

Logan lets out a snicker. "Right."

"Look, they've checked her vitals. She's just sleeping. Like Hank said, it's like her body got really tired and just shut down. Plus Kitty said she would stay for a few hours." Scott makes his way over to the feral man. "Go on, she'll be fine. We will let you know if anything changes or if we find anything."

Stretching his neck, Logan stands from his chair, gives Rogue one last look and heads for the door. "I'll be back in three hours."

Rubbing his eyes with his thumb and index finger, Wolverine heads for his room. He slowly comes to a stop in his tracks when he catches a scent.

"Mystique."

He continues on his way to his room and notices the door open ajar. Slowly but firmly he pushes the door open with his entire right hand.

"I know you're in here." He takes a few steps into the room. "Get out."

A blue figure dressed in tight black leather emerges from the shadows. "Do you treat all your guests this way?"

"You're no guest. Get out." He points to the opening behind him with his thumb.

Calmly Mystique walks over to his bed and sits at the edge of it. "Come sit." She pats the empty spot beside her, but Logan doesn't move. "No? Hmmm. Alright then."

Losing his patience, he lets out a low growl and briskly marches over to the annoying woman. Yanking roughly on her arm he begins dragging her towards the door. Surprised by his actions she lets out a yelp.

"Wolverine. Please, I was just coming to say thank-you." She pulls her arm from his grip and rubbs at her wrist.

Confused, he rests his hands on his waist. "For?"

"Saving my daughter of course." Mystique looks at him dumbfounded. "If it wasn't for you today...well she'd be dead."

Wolverine smirks and shakes his head. "Right. Cause you care about her."

"Of course I do." Mystique takes a few steps back.

"You know lady, you really are a piece of work." He licks his lips in an attempt to control his anger. "I can clearly recall her bleeding half to death because of a knife you stuck in her gut."

"That's a totally different matter." She blurts out.

"Bullshit!" Logan snarls. "If your such a loving mother, why did you sleep with Gambit? Why did you do half the shit you did to her?"

"Because I love her. I'm her mother, I know what's best for her." Mystique shouts backs, angered.

"Here's some news for you lady." Logan points a finger at the angry blue woman. "You're not her mother. Never were."

Mystique takes a few steps back till her calves hit the bed again. She lets herself fall to sit on the mattress. "You're right." She looks up at him. "But I've always wanted what was best for her. Everything I did, was for her. To make her stronger, or to get rid of something in her life that she didn't need."

Logan blinks hard. "So you did sleep with that Cajun, didn't you."

She nods a simple yes. "Only because he was no good for her. I knew that if I could separate them that maybe I could set her up with someone I knew that would be good for her."

Reality setting in, Wolverine sighs. "Because of you, her life has been worse."

Tears begin to escape Ravens eyes. "I just wanted her to be happy."

Tired of this game, Logan once again grabs the woman by her arm, this time there is no resistance. He pushes Mystique out into the hallway. Swiftly, she turns on her heal and smiles.

"What the hell are you smiling about?" He looks at the crazed woman, smiling with tears rolling down her face.

"Because, I'm happy it was Gambit I had to seduce and get rid of, he was so easy to manipulate." She drags a finger down his jaw to his collar bone. "If it would have been you, I don't think it would have worked, even if I had managed to somehow cover up my scent." She licks her lips and takes a step closer to the Wolverine. "But if you want..." She shape shifts into Rogues form. "We could always give it a try."

Logan grabs hold of her hand and shoves her backwards, she lands on her behind. "You do anything to hurt her again, I'll gut you." He slams the door.

Hank holds a few papers in his hands and adjust the glasses on the edge of his nose. "What I'm saying is, Rogue is finally getting control of her absorption powers."

Rubbing his temples, Scott Summers tries to understand all the information being presented. "That doesn't make sense, Hank. Why did she pass out and fall? Why did she lose her invulnerability?"

"Awww, but it makes perfect sense. You see the only original power that was ever hers to begin with, was that of life and energy absorption. The ability to gain memories, talents and powers from another being. Flying, super strength and so on, were all powers she absorbed. When her body becomes too stressed, it shuts down." The Beast takes a seat at the stainless steel table and continues to explain. "Part of her learning to control her own power is learning to control emotions and stress. If she can learn to control her emotions and levels of stress she should be able to control her powers."

Logan moves the cigar from one corner of his mouth to the other. "So what you're saying is, when her power gets turned off by stress or whatever, all of her other powers go offline as well?"

Hank nods. "Yes, because all of her abilities are controlled by her one true power."

Emma sits back in her leather chair. "Interesting. So with training, Rogue will gain control over her abilities." Frost sits back and thinks on the matter a little more. "Does this mean that she should also be able to control all the different beings in her mind as well?"

"Right now, the sky's the limit." Hank smiles.

For some reason, familiar is always comforting, even if that familiar is something as simple as a maple tree. Whether it's to think, to be alone or to just be outside, Rogue always finds herself sitting under that same maple tree. Calming, is the one word that always comes to mind when she thinks of that tree. It won't judge her or be frighten of her, it won't play games or trick her mind. It just is. Alive, growing, majestic.

Taking a deep inhale she stretches her back and then leans against her tree. The smell of cigar is in the air once more.

"Yah always know where to find me don't yah Logan?" She smirks.

Wolverine lets out a puff of cigar smoke. "You're not hard to find. You're always in the same spot." He looks down at her wrist and notices that she's wearing her bracelet and that it's on.

"It's safer this way." Smiling, she continues gazing at the view stretched out before her.

"Is it?" He answers, not shocked that she knew what he was looking at.

Her smile fades. "No accidents this way. Mah powers are permanently off this way, till Ah can figure out how to control them."

"You'll figure it out." Is all he can think of to offer.

Rogue turns and looks up at him. "Yah think so?"

Logan shrugs his shoulders. "Why not? You still practicing that meditation I taught you?"

She nods. "Yes, but Ah guess I can do it more often. It's a good way to control emotions and stress, right?"

"Yup." Logan offers her a hand and pulls her up to her feet. "Why do you think I do it?"

Turning her attention once again to the sky line, Rogue sighs. "Yah know, Ah never realized how cold it can get. Now that Ah don't have control of mah powers, Ah'm having to readjust all over again." She shivers and rubs her arms.

"The cold is something to get use to. I'm always cold." He places an arm around her shoulder. "The metal on my bones, doesn't do much for warmth." He winks and starts directing her towards the mansion. "Lets get you inside, bet you've been out here long enough. Do you want to remember what it's like to catch a cold?"

"Alright Ma'." Rogue laughs.

An entire week goes by. Everyone attends their classes as usual, and all the staff teach their classes as usual. Making her way through a stack of papers, Rogue decides to take a break. She leans back in her office chair, rubs her neck and eyes.

"Lord, Ah'm not use to being sore." She stares up at the ceiling for a few seconds and then blinks hard. "Well, Ah could finish these over the weekend."

After packing her bag, she locks her class room and heads down the hall. Once again, she has people staring at her. Rolling her eyes and lowering her head she makes her way pass them and up the stairs to her room. She decides that a work out and then maybe a good movie before bed would be a great way to get rid of some stress.

One hour goes by and her work out and shower are done with. Now it's pj and movie time. The mansion is quiet, not unusual for a Friday night. Most of the students are either out at their parents, out with friends or in their rooms. The staff is either out for a night on the town, or hammering down on paper work. Maybe even in the danger room practicing, but she decides not to dwell on that one. Not having control over ones powers does have some down falls.

Rogue sits on a stool eyeing the popcorn in it's bag turning and popping in the microwave. She sips at her cream soda and waits patiently.

"All alone?"

For the second time today, she finds herself rolling her eyes. "Ah'm in no mood to exchange words with you Creed."

"You really are cranky for someone so little." Victor opens the fridge and grabs a bottle of water. "Maybe you just need some company." He smirks.

"Maybe it's the company that's making me cranky." She whips back.

"Oooh you really are a fire cracker." He snorts and then steps behind her and places a hand on top the counter on either side of her. Creed takes in the fresh scent of her hair. Frozen, Rogue doesn't budge.

"You know, someone with your problem, shouldn't be so rude." She can feel him smirk against her ear.

"And what exactly is mah problem?" Angered, Rogue whips around to face him.

Sabertooths brow tightens and he begins to smile at her, revealing his sharp fangs. "No powers." Is all he says.

"Creed." Wolverine stands at the door way of the kitchen. "I don't think the lady is interested."

The massive arms leave Rogues sides and the giant man makes his way out of the kitchen, just barely brushing Logans shoulder. "Later fire cracker."

Wolverine watches to make sure his enemy is all the way down the hall and out of sight, then turns his attention to his friend. "Hey you alright?"

She gives him a slight nod. "Ah was just gettin some popcorn." Ghostly she turns and begins removing the snack from the microwave.

Seeing that she's clearly upset Logan makes his way over towards her. He grabs a bowl from a cupboard and hands it to her. "Here."

"Thanks." Her hand shakily takes the big ceramic bowl. "He was right you know."

"Yeah, I know." Wolverine admits. If Rogue had her powers under control, there would be no way in hell that Sabertooth would be messing with her, but now...

"Are yah going out tonight Logan?" She asks while pouring the snack into the bowl.

"I was..." Wolverine stares at the now empty door way. "But just out of habit."

Rogue tosses her empty bag into the garbage and grabs her soda and popcorn. "Alright. Have fun. Ah'm going to rent something on PayPerview." She clumsily makes her way past him in her pink pjs, which he notices are a little see through.

"Mind having some company?" He askes taking the bowl from her.

She looks up at him smiling. "Yah don't want to go out Logan?"

He stares down the hallway. "Nah. Not in the mood."

"Alright. What yah wanna watch?"

Two crappy movies, one good action movie, twelve bottles of beer and two bags of popcorn later, the credits to the last movie are rolling up on the tv in Rogues bedroom.

The Expendables. Not bad, Wolverine thinks to himself. He can hear the low breathing of his friend beside him. Rogue's curled up with a blanket at his side. Carefully, he places his empty beer on her nightstand and turns the tv off with the remote. He'd been staying with her all night on purpose, seeing the look in Creeds eyes, he knew he wouldn't be able to leave her alone with that in the mansion.

Feeling the weight of his eyes and the exhaustion in his body, Logan decides to shift Rogue and make her comfortable. After she's tucked under the blankets, he removes everything but his jeans and crawls in beside her. He lies on his back crossing his arms behind his head, trying to listen for anything out of the ordinary, trying to sense anything strange. His eyes close, but he reminds himself that the first thing he can sense that's off, he's waking quickly and defensively.