Author's Chapter Notes:
A.N: Lady Mastermind appears in this chapter alongside the Marauders. Take in account that I have changed the actual events that have happened in the comics, and at this point and time do not consider her as part of the x-men team, although she in facts does join the Marauders later on. This is all a different take and just a part of my Imagination in the what if scenario. Thank you.

Disclaimer : Usual, I own nothing :(
To her surprise, it was not like she had imagined it. In movies and in books, it was always a diamond firmly set in gold. The man would get down on one knee and ask her to marry him. However, this wasn't the case. In front of her stood Scott, no ordinary man, with a beautiful ruby stone that sat on top of a wonderfully bright white gold ring. It truly seemed the first time in ages that her eyes would water not due to pain.

"Now, I'm not asking...I meen, there's no reason. We are, we will always be as close as we will ever be. This is just a token, a symbol of what is and always will be ours."

Understanding what he has just devoted to her, Emma holds out her tiny hand. Scott places the ring on her finger and holds her tight. Emma stares wide eyed over his shoulder to her newly decorated hand. The ruby shimmers and the white gold glimmers beneath the light of the moon. She now understands why he chose this arrangement for this ring. The ruby representing himself, and the gold representing her. She decided that it was much better then books and movies and diamonds. She didn't need a diamond, she had plenty. She needed a kind gesture and this was more then she could have hoped for.

*~*~*~*~*~

"Jean. You need to concentrate harder. If you want to be able to regain your powers, you need to concentrate harder!"

Regan continues to maintain her illusion of a battle between Jean and her former team mate Storm. In the simulation, Storm continues to pound on Jean, while she tries to regain some self-control. The Lady Masterminds plan is to continually attack Jean until she subconsciously releases her powers from their restrains. Again and again, the imitation Ororo lashes back with a gust of wind or a down poor.

"Jean! You must strike out. NOW!"

With those words echoing in her mind, Jean lashes out and faces her enemy. Smiling, she throws her head back and begins to laugh sinisterly.

"PITIFUL FOOL! You actually think you can defeat me?! I am amused!"

With one swift flick of her wrist the impostor Storm is sent crashing to the ground. Slowly Jean waltzes up to her, like a panther about to pounce on its prey.

"Now you will suffer the consequences!"

A blaze of fire and smoke emerges from where Jean stands and Storm vanishes in the flames. Jean continues her laughter like a Hyena gone mad.

"Well done, my daughter. Well done."

*~*~*~*~*~

The wind blows and leaves tap at the window, as if begging to come in. Emma lies, embraced in the arms of her lover, still in utter awe of the events that have just taken place. Then suddenly, her moment of peace is threatened by an image of chaos. A wounded Ororo being incinerated.

"NO! This can't be! NO!"

Hearing her screams, Scott jolts up. Holding her shoulders, he rests her against his chest, kissing her forehead lightly. She trembles and clings to the sheets, just like she has seen a ghost.

"It was just a dream. It was just..."

"No! Not a dream. She was being burned. Suffering!"

"Emma. Calm down. Who was being burned?"

"Ororo."

"Tell you what. I'll contact her right now. You'll feel better once you know she's fine. OK?" Cyclops slips into some boxers and jogging pants, covering up his birthday suit, and heads for the office. Emma remains in the bed still clinging to the sheets, rocking herself back and forth.

*~*~*~*~*~

Looking at the clock above the bar, Logan realizes that it's closing time. The bartender also helps him keep track of the time by pointing to the imaginary watch on his wrist. Logan gives the man a nod and lets the remaining beer in his mug make its way down his throat. He throws his cue onto the the pool table and looks around the bar, his eyes searching for Rogue. Then he spots her, leaving the woman's bathroom heading to the bar. She stops and leans over and shakes the mans hand.

"Thank you, sir. Have a good evening sugah."

Wolverine grabs their coats from the back of the chair and meets up with her half way to the doors. He helps her thread her jacket on and notices she's still smiling. He slips into his denim and sheep skin coat and the two walk out of the bar.

"Sorry Logan. Ah can't help it."

"Don't worry'bout it kid. You're just takin it for a test drive."

Logan stops and covers a lit match with his hand as he lights up a cigar. He winces an eye as the smoke lingers by and inhales the fumes. Rogue shakes her head in disapproval over his choice to smoke and he snickers.

"What? Bad for my health?"

The two continue their walk, all the while chatting about the events that had occurred at the tavern, the silly old drunks, the woman beating all the men at pool and of course, the bartender. The wind blows the leaves and street garbage past them. Wolverine removes his cigar from his lips and halts to a stand still. Rogue realizing that he has stopped, turns and looks at him confused.

"Logan? You alright..?"

"Someone's following us."

"Wow. You must be a mutie. Tell me you're a mutie! It will make it a hell more entertaining! Say it!"

"OK." Logan snickers.

Rogue knows her friend all too well. She tries to grasps his shoulders but it's too late. He's already in his predator stride. "Logan..."

"I'm a mutie."

"Right on! I knew it!" The man in the shadows signals for the rest of his comrades. With in seconds, nine other men appear, each holding a very pitiful had chains and pipes, while others had a wrench or knife. Wolverine grins.

"Let me guess. Your little girlfriend here is a stinken mutie too!"

"Well, I think she smells just fine."

With the speed of a wolf, Wolverine pounces for the gang leader. A swift kick hits its mark on the mans chin. Logan turns quickly and catches two lower ranked members by the throat and smashes their heads together, they fall clumsily to the ground. Three other men come after him with chains, a poor defense. Wolverine quickly dispatches a set of blows and and uppercuts. Seeing the danger the one man presents, the rest of the gang wisely decide to retreat.

Logan adjusts his neck and a few cranks and clinks make music in the air. He taps his cigar to remove any ash and brings his attention back to Rogue.

Those men might have been just men, but for some reason he didn't pay attention to their leader. This now presented a dilemma, for this man who was just a human, also seemed to be fast. This same man was now standing behind Rogue, using her as a shield with a knife to her throat. Logan couldn't understand why she was just standing there, then it dawned on him. The Bracelet.

"Listen, bub. That's not a good idea."

"Oh and why is that, mutie?"

No more patience. Tonight's little work out is over.

Shnikt. Shnikt.

"This is why! I give you to the count of three. If yah ain't gone by then, you will be when I'm done.!"

The man who had in the beginning only wanted to rob the couple, began to tremble. If he holds on to the woman, he's dead. If he lets her go, he's dead. Not looking good.

"ONE!"

"OK...I...I..."

"Two!"

Before Wolverine can even pronounce the word three the man runs off. Logan begins to bolt after him, but then he stops. Rogue is sitting on the sidewalk, half terrified and half in disbelief.

"Guess I don't need to jog too. You OK kid?"

She gives him a reassuring nod and climbs to her feet.

*~*~*~*~*~

Scott finishes his phone call with Storm and hangs up. He pauses a moment and then something catches his eye. Emma's standing in the door way. Fully dressed, but still dragging around the bed sheets, like a child waking from a nightmare.

"Emma, I just got off the phone. She's fine. Nothing to worry about. Now lets get back to bed. OK?"

"But Scott it felt so real. I'm sure of it..."

"I know. But she's fine. Come on, you need your rest."