Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to anyone who has stuck with me so far.
The gates to the Mansion looked the same as they always had, well kept and imposing. “That’s a good sign,” Marie muttered to herself. She had driven straight through the night and the next morning, as she had been too afraid to stop for the night. She figured the sooner she got to the Mansion, the better.

Well, now she was here and she could not seem to get up the nerve to drive up the long driveway and into the place that she had called home for so many years. Finally she entered her personal gate passcode, half expecting it not to work, but it did and the gate opened smoothly leaving nothing in her path.

Tentatively she drove forward, eyes searching the grounds as she went. There was no one outside, but she had expected that since it was nearly dinnertime in the Mansion and everyone would either be cooking or doing homework. Or gossiping, which was usually what Jubilee would do everyday when they were in school. A smile pulled at the corners of her lips as she remembered all the trouble she and Jubilee (and more often than not Kitty) had gotten into years ago.

She found herself automatically braking and was surprised to see that she was already at the Mansion’s large garage. She walked in through an open garage door and made her way towards the door leading inside. Slowly, she turned the handle and let herself in, looking around for anything that may be out of order, but nothing was. A clatter in the kitchen followed by a child’s voice saying “Oh, man!” had her on guard and she walked swiftly into the kitchen, surprising a young girl who had apparently knocked over some pots and pans.

“Are you a friend of Ms. Munroe’s?” The girl, who looked to be about eight, asked.

“Ah- yes Ah am. Would ya like some help with those?” Marie motioned towards the two large bowls that the girl was trying to unsuccessfully carry.

“Wow, would I. It’s my turn to help in the kitchen and everyone else who is helping has already gone to the dining room with their trays of food.” The girl explained in a disturbingly chipper manner as she handed a bowl to Marie. “Come on, we’re already late,” she said over her shoulder as she rushed towards the dining room.

When Marie got to the entrance to the dining room, she saw a smiling Storm take the bowl and ask the little girl a question. The girl answered and pointed towards the doorway before skipping off, and Storm looked up.

Marie saw her friends eyes take in her appearance from head to toe as she started to walk towards her. After Storm had taken just a few steps however, Rogue saw her eyes widen, as the smile slipped from her face, much like the bowl slipped from her fingers not a second later. The glass shattering as it hit the floor quieted the room and everyone stared first at Storm, then in the direction that she was staring: straight towards Marie.
§––––––––––§

There was a split second of shocked silence... and then they attacked. She heard Scott’s commanding yell and barely dodged a shot from his eyes. She saw Ororo hustling confused students towards the other doors. She felt Jean hold her still with her power. She saw Pete swing his metal covered arm towards her face and she squeezed her eyes shut, knowing that this was surely the end... until a commanding “Stop!” reverberated through the heads of everyone who was still present in the room.

Pete swung away from her and a surprised Jean dropped her hold. The whirring of Professor X’s wheelchair stopped right in front of her and she slowly opened her eyes to see him staring confusedly at her.

“Rogue? My God, it’s really you.” He said in the most shocked voice she had ever witnessed him using. A murmur broke out amongst those in the dining hall and she heard Jean say “But how?”

Why was everyone so shocked? she wondered. Sure she had been gone awhile but really- oh. They thought she was dead, obviously. How had she never thought of that possibility? This whole thing was just so unreal.

“Oh, Rogue! I can’t believe it!” Cried a pregnant woman, who she was shocked to realize was Kitty.

“Rogue?” The Professor questioned tentatively.

“Yes, Professor?” she answered in a voice that sounded much calmer than she actually felt.

“Would you like something to eat? It’s spaghetti night.” He said in the same voice he used to discuss biochemistry and politics.

That was about the last thing she expected the Professor to say, but at his words she realized just how very hungry she was. “That sounds perfect.” She said.

It was good to be home.